This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Christopher Powney new Artistic Director for Royal Ballet School

The RBS just posted this to their site:

We are pleased to announce the appointment of Christopher Powney to the new post of Artistic Director Designate. Christopher will take up his position in April 2014.

The summer term of 2014 will be a transitional period after which he will take over running the School from Gailene Stock CBE AM, who will retire on 31 August 2014.

A former teacher at The Royal Ballet Upper School, Christopher is currently Artistic Director of the Dutch National Ballet Academy and has danced with Northern Ballet, English National Ballet and Ballet Rambert.

During his career he has worked with some of the world’s leading dancers and choreographers, including: Rudolf Nureyev, Christopher Gable, Jiri Kylian, Lynn Seymour, Christopher Bruce, Twyla Tharp, Frederick Franklin, Ohad Naharin and Glen Tetley.

Lady Douro, Chairman of the Board of Governors, said:

‘Gailene Stock’s work at the School has enabled it to become one of the top classical dance training centres in the world. Christopher is the unanimous choice of the Appointment Panel and they are convinced he will ensure the School’s continued success. He possesses the knowledge and skills we are looking for to take the School forward.’

Christopher Powney said:

‘I am thrilled and honoured to have been selected to direct one of the world’s most prestigious ballet schools and to return to my own country makes it even more special. This is a school full of exceptionally talented and motivated young dancers and it will be my pleasure to help them to realise their dreams. I look forward to working with the dedicated Board and team of The Royal Ballet School to ensure that the School remains at the forefront of dance education.’

Our current Artistic Director, Gailene Stock is sadly still unwell. Jay Jolley continues in the role of Acting Director and will lead the School’s artistic programmes into the 2013/14 academic year.