This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

i'm not sure how much of the information in this Balanchine Foundation release is a duplication of what's been posted here previously. if it's all old news, feel free to delete it:

The George Balanchine Foundation’s The Balanchine Essays released for on-line sales

Toward the latter part of his life, George Balanchine talked about creating a "dictionary" of his technique, a visual reference for students of the ballet. The George Balanchine Foundation has helped to fulfill his wish by producing The Balanchine Essays. These Essays provide over nine hours of visual discussion of Balanchine’s ideas on technique that are not only educational but also protect the high standards Balanchine himself set for his dancers.

Former New York City Ballet principal dancers Merrill Ashley and Suki Schorer are the co-creators of the Essays, in which they demonstrate crucial aspects of Balanchine Style® and Balanchine Technique® and illustrate how the choreographer applied them in his ballets.

The Foundation is pleased to announce that the complete set of ten videos is now available on the George Balanchine Foundation’s on line store. Please visit www.createspace.com/368285 to view the first of the discs. This page will allow you to browse through and purchase each video in the ten part series. The DVDs are also available at Amazon.com. The proceeds from these sales will benefit ongoing Foundation projects, www.balanchine.org .

We discovered earlier this year that Part I (Arabesque) was for sale on Amazon, but it's great news that they are now selling the entire series. Let's hope this is a good omen for even more releases. Of course, Ashley and Schorer (the key players in the tapes) are still alive and well and presumably were available to participate in negotiations over the release, as needed.

(I see that the Balanchine site and Amazon are charging the same price ($19.99/disk), so if you want to help out the Ballet Alert site, perhaps best to order via the little Amazon box on this site!)