Christopher Wheeldon Takes On Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron"An American in Paris" - new Broadway production

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#91 Buddy

Buddy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

I would feel seriously remiss as a dance lover kibitzer if I just let these names slip away.

Marcelo Gomes
Rolando Sarabia
Alina Cojocaru 

Marcelo Gomes and Alina Cojocaru seem to be quite busy and probably not available, for a long term commitment anyway, but they both seem like the type of person to want to give it a try.

Rolando Sarabia is probably available.

Leanne Cope (cast in the current workshop) from the little I've read about her might be just fine.

And it's magic
if the music is groovy
It makes you feel happy like an old time movie

(John Sebastian)

Added thought:

If singing is an issue, maybe a professional singer could appear on stage, while the dancers pantomime their way through it.

Jerome Robbins' "Ives, Songs," might be an example.

#92 sjmiller

sjmiller

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

I'm really excited about this news. Between Stoman's A Little Dancer and Wheeldon's An American in Paris, hopefully there will be some interesting choreography and dancing on Broadway in 2014. Here is some footage of Leanne Cope rehearsing:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=R3vHgPUGN1Y

In my opinion she bears a slight physical resemblance to Leslie Caron.

#93 Buddy

Buddy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

I'm really excited about this news. Between Stoman's A Little Dancer and Wheeldon's An American in Paris, hopefully there will be some interesting choreography and dancing on Broadway in 2014. Here is some footage of Leanne Cope rehearsing:

In my opinion she bears a slight physical resemblance to Leslie Caron.

She does, and her partner even looks like Marcelo Gomes. Good start guys. Now hopefully we'll be moving into somewhat cheerier material for 'American.'

#94 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

Funny. I don't see Gomes in this role at all.  He is not "Americana", which is what they would be looking for. 

By the way, I've now moved into the Sapphire Circle with my 2,000th post.  Whoo Hooyahoo.gif

#95 Buddy

Buddy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Funny. I don't see Gomes in this role at all.  He is not "Americana", which is what they would be looking for. 

By the way, I've now moved into the Sapphire Circle with my 2,000th post.  Whoo Hooyahoo.gif

Congratulations !

Gene Kelly

Marcelo Gomes

Gene Kelly

Marcelo Gomes

Also:

Both men could certainly be called High Personality Performers, along with Rolando Sarabia, who could probably dance/act his way through anything.

#96 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Right about now, either Gomes or Sarabia might be considered Mericun.

I was hoping for Alex Wong, myself.

#97 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Marcelo Gomes can do anything, can find a way to make any role fit him (or, more properly, make himself fit any role). But if we look to the film actors as the archetypes, Rob Fairchild's apple-pie cheerfulness is much like Kelly's. I was also struck by Leanne Cope's resemblance to Leslie Caron (same initials, too!). More than that, her animated facial expressions mesmerized and enchanted me.

#98 Buddy

Buddy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:10 AM

As far as I'm concerned, Marcelo Gomes can do anything, can find a way to make any role fit him (or, more properly, make himself fit any role). But if we look to the film actors as the archetypes, Rob Fairchild's apple-pie cheerfulness is much like Kelly's. I was also struck by Leanne Cope's resemblance to Leslie Caron (same initials, too!). More than that, her animated facial expressions mesmerized and enchanted me.

I certainly agree with you, carbro, about Marcelo Gomes and Leanne Cope. I have to admit that I don't recall ever seeing Robert Fairchild perform. I've just looked at some of his videos and he does seem fine for this. In one (NYC Ballet Screen Test: Robert Fairchild) he says, "I'm the biggest Gene Kelly fan out there." 

Bigger than life is what Gene Kelly and definitely his aura and legacy are. Marcelo Gomes and Rolando Sarabia, for me,  are also a step beyond in ability and star charisma. 

Helene, what's "Mericun" ?

#99 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

One question for me is, who will play the Oscar Levant role?

Yes!

#100 Buddy

Buddy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:35 AM

As far as I'm concerned, Marcelo Gomes can do anything, can find a way to make any role fit him (or, more properly, make himself fit any role). But if we look to the film actors as the archetypes, Rob Fairchild's apple-pie cheerfulness is much like Kelly's. 

An interesting thing, carbro, is that whoever I've seen Marcelo Gomes cast as he has always made me smile and feel good inside (never to be taken really seriously as a heavy). In this case I would say that he can "make any role fit him" and it works just great.

Added:

In further reference to Rolando Sarabia, I've seen him perform a few times with the Miami City Ballet and I've watched some videos. In a dance-wise and dance related acting sense, I think he can do just about anything.  I once saw him on the street and told him that he could be (present and future tense) the best [male] dancer in the world. This was a few years ago and I haven't seen him perform since, but my feelings related to back then haven't changed.

#101 Buddy

Buddy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

I’ve not found any more news. Has anyone else?

While searching I did find this Pointe Magazine reference from probably awhile ago. It does share one of my hopes for the production. 

“There are many reasons to be excited about this musical, not the least of which is that Wheeldon has been casting serious ballet dancers for its upcoming workshop.” 

Pointe has also posted a very short video clip from the movie that shows how powerfully beautiful some of the dancing is as well as how important it is to the scope of ballet related artistry.

An added curiosity:

When the video clips ends, on my internet format, a choice of nine more videos is shown. The second one down on the left is a 23 minute video of the dancing with the actual Gershwin American In Paris score superimposed by the video author. Only part of the score was apparently used for the dancing. I’ve just looked at the beginning, but it might be of interest to others.

And:

As for further casting ideas

flowers.gif

#102 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Thanks, Buddy. Don't know what's going on. Anybody?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):