8 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

A preview of New York City Ballet's Saratoga engagement by Phil Drew in The Saratogian.

Wednesday’s program, on a special American Girl Night that will feature crafts, promotions and the eponymous girls’ dolls, will repeat several of these works and also feature Wheeldon’s “After the Rain Pas de Deux.”

A Thursday matinee of mixed repertory by Martins and Balanchine will be followed that evening by a Sage College Date Night program that is all-Balanchine, highlighted by his classics “Serenade” and “Theme and Variations.”  

Related.

.....Seven tractor-trailers full of stage sets, lighting, costumes and much more are being unloaded and moved into SPAC’s amphitheatre and backstage area. More than 1,000 toe shoes, shown at bottom left, hundreds of ballet costumes, four concert grand pianos, three miles of cable for the lighting and much more must be unloaded and prepared for the residency.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Consideration of Nikolai Tsiskaridze's appeal against the Bolshoi is postponed until later this month.

The court adjourned the case because neither Tsiskaridze nor his representative showed up in court. Lawyers for the Bolshoi Ballet did come to the hearing. The court decided to serve the dancer with an additional notice and a mailed response from the defendant.

Tsiskaridze filed a lawsuit against the Bolshoi Theater in March, asking the court to annul two official reprimands issued against him by the theater management in February for giving interviews to the press.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

The Australian Ballet  adds performances of "Swan Lake" to its schedule in Adelaide.

For the first time, the company has brought its shorter children's show, Once Upon A Time, to Adelaide for a performance on Tuesday. There will also be an opportunity to ask the dancers questions and watch their daily class during People's Day at the Festival Theatre on Monday.

Adelaide dancer Jill Ogai, 20, who joined the corps de ballet last year, said Swan Lake was a perennial favourite with audiences.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

A report from the Venice Dance Biennale by Judith Mackrell in The Guardian.

Doing things on a smaller scale comes with a variety of advantages, especially in recessionary times. It can offer a platform to new or fringe companies who find themselves squeezed out of more established dance venues; it can introduce dance to those who'd never think of setting foot inside a normal performance. A properly thoughtful pairing of performance and setting can also set up resonances with place and community. Just as Manchester's Urban Moves has relocated hip-hop back into the streets, so the new Salt festival in Cornwall will take dance to some of the county's most resonant sites: a slate quarry, a historic garden, points along the magnificent Cornish coastal path.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

ABC Family pulls down the sets of "Bunheads," while considering the series' fate.

The show has also grown into its home on the teen network. At first, the story revolved almost singularly around Michelle (Sutton Foster), a 35-year-old dancer past her prime whose life is turned upside down when on a whim she marries an adorably obsessive fan (Alan Ruck) and relocates from Vegas to his mom’s house in the quirky coastal town of Paradise. After he dies suddenly and tragically in a car accident, Michelle begins to reluctantly and slowly warm to his mom (Kelly Bishop) and her ballet students. But by the end of the first season, the four student ballerinas — Boo, Ginny, Sasha, and Melanie — had come into sharper focus....

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Q&A with Richard Winsor, who's performing "Dorian Gray" in Japan.

What’s special about this program compared with earlier New Adventure productions?

Well, it’s the first piece Matthew has set in the modern day. It’s always going to be current, more cutting-edge and timeless because, you know, “The Car Man” is always going to be set in 1950s and Swan Lake is set in … mmm. This, though, will keep growing and changing because the style of what you are wearing can just match what’s there at the time. And because the set is basically just white, the things on it, the artworks and so on, can change with time. That’s really exciting.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

A review of Ballet Concerto's  annual summer concert by Leonard Eureka for Fort Worth Weekly.

By Saturday evening, full lighting had been restored, but principal ballerina Michele Gifford pulled a calf muscle during her solo in the opening ballet, Paquita pas de deux. She kept going, though, missing only the finale. The bigger problem was that she had no understudy. Company co-director Webster Dean turned to soloist Lea Essmyer, who spent most of Sunday watching the ballet on YouTube to learn the choreography. By Sunday evening and after some run-throughs with partner Shea Johnson, Essmyer went on to give a somewhat restrained but completely professional-looking performance that saved the day for Ballet Concerto.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

An interview with Peter Martins.

Martins, 66, has no successor in mind. Not yet.

"I know every dancer in this company — I've known them since they were teenagers — and I know them as people. So I watch and I digest and I speculate and I think, and that's it. I have my eyes open," he says. "I believe the right person will be standing in front of me at the right time."

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

A review of American Ballet Theatre in "The Sleeping Beauty" by Leigh Witchel in The New York Post.

Vadim Muntagirov, a guest from the English National Ballet, is that rare thing: a true prince, with strong technique and beautiful lines. Most important was the natural ease of his dancing: Whether squiring his partner or soaring into the air with double leg beats, he never broke a sweat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):