This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Tuesday, July 2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

An interview with Hayley Stobo, the first Scottish dancer to graduate from the Bolshoi Ballet Academy.

"It was the most surreal experience of my life. I've had some of the best and worst experiences of my life over in Russia but I would never change anything that happened because it has definitely made me the person that I am today which I am forever thankful to them for."

With her body struggling to cope with the cold temperatures in Moscow, which regularly dropped below -20C in winter, Hayley also had to learn a whole new style of ballet through lessons which were taught in Russian.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Q&A with Colleen Neary and Thordal Christensen.

Why do you say Agon is challenging even for the audience?

C.N.: The music is 12 tonal. It’s a piece that was ahead of its time. Musically it’s very off in its structure, too. It’s not difficult to hear, but it’s an advanced piece. There are not melodies in it that you can follow. So it’s challenging that way, but it’s such an incredible piece to watch because it is so musical. Agon was actually commissioned to be a ballet. Stravinsky sat at a piano in the studio with Balanchine as he was choreographing, and they worked together on it. Not a lot of ballets are like that.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

An interview with Greg Cameron, the new executive director of the Joffrey.

"I've moved through my career with an attitude of optimism, a feeling if you tell people the story, they'll connect," he said. "If you don't ask, they can't say, 'Yes.' There's an interest in reconnecting with the Joffrey on the part of some who've drifted away for various reasons. My hope, as I leave WTTW, is to pull some of those threads into the Joffrey and the dance community, just as I pulled threads from the MCA into WTTW when I went there. I had a conversation recently with someone on the Joffrey board when the troupe first moved here and now wants to come back. This is a small city in some ways, one all about cooperation and collaboration."

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

A review of the International Ballet Gala in Johannesburg by Pinto Ferreira in Tonight.

Valdes’s Don Quixote pas de deux with Jose Losada was a stupendous performance demonstrating perfect balance sur la pointe. Valdes’s artistry surpassed a display of technical wizardry. It was her passion, captured in every movement, that made her performance memorable. Mack is a showman par excellence. His performance in extracts from George Balanchine’s Stars and Stripes was electrifying.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Cape Town City Ballet presents "Night and Day."

There will also be a live saxophonist on stage (Martin Sigamoney) and dance performances to popular songs such as Let’s Misbehave, Too Darn Hot, Let’s Fall in Love and Anything Goes.

Explaining why he wanted to be involved in the pro-duction, Van Wyk says: “De-Lovely came out and I was inspired by the movie, which is an original musical portrait of the life of Porter, filled with his unforgettable songs.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

A review of the Queensland Ballet  in "Giselle."

As Giselle, Rachael Walsh brings a long-honed prowess to a role regarded as one of the greatest tests of a ballerina’s technique. She conquers it exquisitely, with nothing at all routine about her performance......

Daniel Gaudiello is also excellent as Albrecht. An Australian Ballet principal rejoining his hometown company for a pair of performances, his extraordinary athletic grace is matched by acting of considerable depth.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Photos taken during New York City Ballet's move to Saratoga.

Monday and Tuesday were moving days as the New York City Ballet prepares for opening night at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC). -

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Darcey Bussell  shows up at Wimbledon.

Darcey Bussell, once queen of the Royal Ballet-turned Strictly Come Dancing judge gets a complimentary ticket, as does actress Kim Cattrall, star of Sex and the City, Big Trouble in Little China and Police Academy.

Related.

And on Tuesday, former tour pals Katherine Jenkins and Darcey Bussell were reunited at Wimbledon.

The classical singer and Strictly Come Dancing judge were lucky enough to have coveted tickets to the royal box at centre court to watch the women's quarter-finals.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

A review of American Ballet Theatre  in "Sylvia" by Carol Pardo for danceviewtimes.

Jared Matthews is usually cast in roles that show off his line, placement and boyish modesty. He’s a reticent presence; you wonder what would happen if he pushed a little harder and projected a little further. Here was the answer. As Orion, the evil hunter, he was menacing, muscular and all grown up. During Act 2, lust and inebriation ran neck and neck. The more the wine took hold, the more his head jutted forward like a beagle on the trail of a particularly wily fox (or foxy hunter). Matthews took the part and ran with it all the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):