Petipa's name

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

Did Marius Petipa's family make up the family name as a stage name? It is so close to "little steps" that I can't help but wonder. This must be covered somewhere on the web, but my search hasn't brought up an answer. Thank you.

-Paris.

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

I don't see anywhere on the web (without subscription) that suggests that Petipa's father, also a dancer, changed the family name.  However, the article on Jean-Antoine Petipa in the "Oxford Dictionary of Dance," which I don't have at hand, would likely say so if he did.

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

No mention of a name change in the Oxford dictionary (or at least in the 1982 edition).  And no mention of a name change in the International Encyclopedia of Dance, which cites a Lillian Moore monograph in the May 1942 edition of Dance Index.

#4 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

It just seems to be a stretch that a family of dancers would coincidentally have a name so close to "little steps"

#5 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

No stranger than a name like Millepied! Though I don't know about his family - innocent.gif

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

I always liked Patricia Nearhoof.  And Lucas Threefoot.

#7 duffster

duffster

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Having been a former dancer, I was amused to find out that one of my ancestors last name was Lightfoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):