This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Petipa's name

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

Did Marius Petipa's family make up the family name as a stage name? It is so close to "little steps" that I can't help but wonder. This must be covered somewhere on the web, but my search hasn't brought up an answer. Thank you.

-Paris.

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,505 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

I don't see anywhere on the web (without subscription) that suggests that Petipa's father, also a dancer, changed the family name.  However, the article on Jean-Antoine Petipa in the "Oxford Dictionary of Dance," which I don't have at hand, would likely say so if he did.

#3 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,707 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

No mention of a name change in the Oxford dictionary (or at least in the 1982 edition).  And no mention of a name change in the International Encyclopedia of Dance, which cites a Lillian Moore monograph in the May 1942 edition of Dance Index.

#4 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

It just seems to be a stretch that a family of dancers would coincidentally have a name so close to "little steps"

#5 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

No stranger than a name like Millepied! Though I don't know about his family - innocent.gif

#6 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,707 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

I always liked Patricia Nearhoof.  And Lucas Threefoot.

#7 duffster

duffster

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Having been a former dancer, I was amused to find out that one of my ancestors last name was Lightfoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):