This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT 2013 Sleeping Beauty at the Met

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#121 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,463 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Marie wears a little crown. Maybe that's where "princess" comes from.

#122 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, rg!

#123 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

So it is like Maria, Masha, and Clara in "Nutcracker"?

Are Blue Bird's feet supposed to flex and not point during the beats, like the jesters' in Act II of "Sylvia"?  Or did the dancer that I saw just have floppy, unpointed feet?

I think they're supposed to point!!

#124 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

one would have to check programs, i suppose, or the clear memories of those who were around in those days, 

I was around and remember "Clara" until the mid-sixties when I was surprised to read in the program one December that her name was now "Marie". It seems to have been ascertained that this change occurred along with the move to the State Theater from City Center. I also remember how astonishing it was to see that sleigh rise to the rafters the first time! Until then, I had loved the "off to sea in a walnut shell" version and looked forward to it.

With the need to fill the larger stage, the second act tableau also became more lush and jaw-droppingly awesome.

When I attended decades later (living in Canada made it impossible to keep up the yearly tradition) I was dismayed to find the clock in the center of the room when Drosselmeyer sat atop it. I think it should have remained in the corner of the room. Even as a child I knew to look to the corner when the time came. It's too much "in your face" now, I think. I do like the SPF's being pulled in arabesque along the floor after she steps on the 'invisible' platform. That's a wonderful visual effect!

btw, The crown Marie wears is the one the Nutcracker Prince cut off of the Mouse King's head!

Edited to add: Sorry to prolong the Nutcracker talk. I just realized this is supposed to be the 2013 SB thread!

Edited by Marga, 11 July 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#125 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

one would have to check programs, i suppose, or the clear memories of those who were around in those days, but I recall people around NYCB involved with the preparation of the child dancers for their roles referring to Marie as "Little Mary" - perhaps that was a nickname for those in the company.

indeed, on checking a recent NYCB program, while in act one the names Marie and Fritz are used as is "His Nephew [The Nutcracker]" in cast list, for act two the same characters are called The Little Princess and The Little Prince.

i know of no name per se given to the nephew in any traditional staging of THE NUTCRACKER. 

by the end of the 1892 libretto, The Nutcracker is referred to as Prince Nutcracker.

A friend told me that when he performed from 1963-1965, everyone at NYCB called her Clara, but he has the NYCB Nutcracker booklet which is big from around 1965 and the girl is called Mary, so this friend said your guess is very good that maybe it was changed with the design in 1964. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):