ABT 2013 Sleeping Beauty at the Met

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#61 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

I found this on a Russian forum. Ivan Vasiliev and Isabella Boylston's Blue Bird PDD:

Awful.

Thank you Plisskin for posting this. Boylston looks fabulous! Vasiliev? Bent knees, feet not pointed, legs turned in. I don't understand. So what if he can jump as high as a skyscraper and turn like a tasmanian devil. He looks awful doing it. I would love to be a fly on the wall during his rehearsals. I wonder if KM and the rehearsal directors correct him for these persistent and unprofessional mistakes?

#62 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hey everyone-

I will be at tonight's SB with my five year-old daughter and my mom . . . would be interesting to meet someone from this group offline at intermission. Having only got into this over the past two years, I really enjoy meeting people who are more familiar with the technical points and who are fluent in discussing the artistry. And just talking about performances is fun.

Message me if you'd like to meet. Paris.

#63 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

I found this on a Russian forum. Ivan Vasiliev and Isabella Boylston's Blue Bird PDD:

Awful.

Thank you Plisskin for posting this. Boylston looks fabulous! Vasiliev? Bent knees, feet not pointed, legs turned in. I don't understand. So what if he can jump as high as a skyscraper and turn like a tasmanian devil. He looks awful doing it. I would love to be a fly on the wall during his rehearsals. I wonder if KM and the rehearsal directors correct him for these persistent and unprofessional mistakes?

Ratmansky, when he was director at the Bolshoi, plucked Vasiliev and Osipova out of some crowd (was it a school or a regional company?) and hired them at the Bolshoi. I wonder if/how he gives corrections when he choreographs, as he used both of them in the Trilogy. And I wonder if he pushed Vasiliev along as a way to get Osipova into the Bolshoi. I haven't noticed anything along these lines in his interviews to date.

#64 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

For the life of me  I cannot understand why a dancer of Misty Copeland's prominence is cast in this production as a Cat (and one who does not dance, at that!!)---surely it would have been a prize spot for a corps dancer.......there she sat, all during Act 3----just watching...I wonder what was going on in her head.....

I assumed this was Puss 'n Boots. Are there other cats in this production?

#65 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

Awful.

Ratmansky, when he was director at the Bolshoi, plucked Vasiliev and Osipova out of some crowd (was it a school or a regional company?) and hired them at the Bolshoi. I wonder if/how he gives corrections when he choreographs, as he used both of them in the Trilogy. And I wonder if he pushed Vasiliev along as a way to get Osipova into the Bolshoi. I haven't noticed anything along these lines in his interviews to date.

N Osipova was  a Bolshoi Academy graduate and was in the Corps de ballet when Ivan was hired as soloist ( from the Belarus national Ballet) He was a winner at the Moscow IBC before he joined the company.

#66 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

I swear I saw the Puss N Boots pas in their SB years ago. Very short dance but cute. Did they take it out??

The cats get a bit of dancing as they enter the stage, as do Cinderella and her prince and Little Red Riding Hood an the wolf. Oddly enough I had the same feeling that in previous years the cats have danced more in the ABT production. Does anyone recall? Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part. Also, I thought a decision was made in previous years to bring back the king and queen for the wedding act, but this didn't happen at Tuesday's performance (or perhaps they were planted so far to stage right that I couldn't see them).

There's a physical detail in Copeland that bothers me-(I've seen her a couple of times onstage).  She has hyper curved lower legs, and I noticed that the effect during chainee turns is weird.  Because her legs don't create a straight line, when together they separate from the knees down, and then the chainee turns loose very much its magic, which is largely based in placing both feet as close as possible while executing the steps.  In general she danced fine, but I don't think she is Principal material.

This is something I have noticed, as well, and it can be distracting in certain passages, like the chainee turns you mention. Her legs have the odd and (to my eyes) unattractive effect of looking like they bow out beneath the knee, which obviously isn't the physical reality for a dancer. This can be seen very clearly in the wallpaper images of her twitter feed (https://twitter.com/mistyonpointe). Unfortunately, I feel as if it is a physical quirk that becomes most jarring in classical tutu roles, though when Copeland dances as brilliantly as she did as Florine earlier this week, it's easy to forget about any less than "ideal" aspects of her line. 

#67 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

I swear I saw the Puss N Boots pas in their SB years ago. Very short dance but cute. Did they take it out??

The cats get a bit of dancing as they enter the stage, as do Cinderella and her prince and Little Red Riding Hood an the wolf. Oddly enough I had the same feeling that in previous years the cats have danced more in the ABT production. Does anyone recall? Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part. Also, I thought a decision was made in previous years to bring back the king and queen for the wedding act, but this didn't happen at Tuesday's performance (or perhaps they were planted so far to stage right that I couldn't see them).

The cats (and other characters) did not dance in the earlier performances. You were probably thinking of the previous SB by Macmillan. The king and queen were present last Tuesday.

There's a physical detail in Copeland that bothers me-(I've seen her a couple of times onstage).  She has hyper curved lower legs, and I noticed that the effect during chainee turns is weird.  Because her legs don't create a straight line, when together they separate from the knees down, and then the chainee turns loose very much its magic, which is largely based in placing both feet as close as possible while executing the steps.  In general she danced fine, but I don't think she is Principal material.

This is something I have noticed, as well, and it can be distracting in certain passages, like the chainee turns you mention. Her legs have the odd and (to my eyes) unattractive effect of looking like they bow out beneath the knee, which obviously isn't the physical reality for a dancer. This can be seen very clearly in the wallpaper images of her twitter feed (https://twitter.com/mistyonpointe). Unfortunately, I feel as if it is a physical quirk that becomes most jarring in classical tutu roles, though when Copeland dances as brilliantly as she did as Florine earlier this week, it's easy to forget about any less than "ideal" aspects of her line. 

#68 vipa

vipa

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

My question is - Will KM do anything with Sarah Lane?  I wasn't able to see her performance this year.  The one I saw 5 years ago was flawed but way beyond good, and certainly worth nurturing.  Given her age (late 20's) and length of time with the company it's now or never.  

I think many of us are wondering this same thing. I've seen Lane dance regularly over the years and she never disappoints me. Always secure, gorgeous technique, continues to grow, never any big problems. I hope she isn't left to wallow as a soloist forever. She'd also make a very lovely Juliet.

I agree that she'd make a lovely Juliet, and I know from her Huffington Post interview she learned the role, but hasn't performed it.  I understand that her SB was quite something this year.  5 years ago when I saw it, it was very good over all - with an outstanding Rose Adagio (which is something for a first timer).  Given the lack of opportunities offered to her by KM, with a sinking heart I don't see being promoted in her future.  I hope I'm wrong.

#69 mimsyb

mimsyb

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

If in order to get her you need also to hire him, that's a poor administrative decision on everyone's part.  If those are her conditions, I say tell her "no".  He is so far inferior in technique and style to so many others at ABT, and yet he is getting not one, but multiple performances of many roles that should be going to others.  I think it can be said that the Emperor truly is without clothes at this point.  He is taking up space on the roster and it's so sad to see.   Given her numerous recent cancellations and the fact she will be with the Royal more now, I have to ask is she even worth it?  ABT has many qualified and exciting dancers.  Let us see them!!

#70 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

I thought Murphy & Whiteside performed beautifully last night. Murphy was not as secure in the Birthday scene as in prior outings.  She did fine, but no daredevil balances in the Rose Adagio.  She sparkled throughout the rest of the performance, though.  Whiteside had strong technique and very good partnering skills. His acting is weak, but I can accept that.  Given the number of lead roles he has taken on this season (SB on about a week's notice, after Corey was injured), I would have to say that McKenzie hit a home run in hiring this guy.  If all goes well the next few months, I expect that he will be the next male principal at ABT.  Hee Seo was lovely as Lilac, although a bit more happiness in her facial expression would have been appreciated.

Lane was a lovely Florine.  Gorak replaced Simkin as Bluebird. It looked like he and Lane had little or no rehearsal time together. It was some of the worst partnering I've seen at ABT.

Boylston was the cat, and she wore a glum expression throughout.  The bubble over her head would read:  "I should be dancing Aurora or at least Florine.  What the #$%! am I doing being cast as the Cat?

SB sells. The Big House has been packed all week. 

#71 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

If in order to get her you need also to hire him, that's a poor administrative decision on everyone's part.  If those are her conditions, I say tell her "no".  He is so far inferior in technique and style to so many others at ABT, and yet he is getting not one, but multiple performances of many roles that should be going to others.  I think it can be said that the Emperor truly is without clothes at this point.  He is taking up space on the roster and it's so sad to see.   Given her numerous recent cancellations and the fact she will be with the Royal more now, I have to ask is she even worth it?  ABT has many qualified and exciting dancers.  Let us see them!!

Like the numerous (more than Osipova) recent cancellations of ABT home-team dancers Cory Stearns, Hallburg or hammoudi?

It is disappointing when someone is injured but there is no reason to criticize a dancer for it. I really doubt that she learned this new role only in order to blow it off.

Also it is clearly not true that to get her you need to take him. This is evidenced by the fact that she has been hired at the Royal and he has not.

#72 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

abatt would you please mention the Fairies from last night? I live so far away from NYC. Would have been there if I could have but that thing called work kept me from being there. Any review of the fairies will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

As for Miss Boylston and a glum face, odd. She is generally very kind and happy to be dancing. Maybe something was wrong. I hope not, but maybe.

#73 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Awful.

I believe you are mistaken. Osipova came into the company from the Bolshoi school.

Sorry for saying something already made clear by someone else earlier in the thread!

Edited by aurora, 06 July 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#74 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Osipova is from the Bolshoi school, if mem. serves.

Vasiliev is from Belarus or another former Soviet Republic, again, if mem. serves.

#75 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

It's in their ABT bios:

Osipova

In 2004, Moscow-born Natalia Osipova, completed her training at the Moscow State Academy of Choreography, where she studied with Director Marina Leonova, and joined the Bolshoi Ballet. Her coach at the theatre is Marina Kondratieva.

Vasiliev

Ivan Vasiliev was born in Vladivostok, Russia and studied at the Dnepropetrovsk Ballet School in Ukraine and later at the Belorussian State Choreographic College in Minsk, graduating in 2006. Vasiliev danced Basilio in Don Quixote and Ali in Le Corsaire with the Belorus National Ballet while still a student at the College. In 2006 he was invited to join the Bolshoi Ballet as a Soloist, making his debut with the company, at age 17, as Basilio in Don Quixote. He was promoted to the rank of Principal dancer in May 2010. He is coached by the former Bolshoi star Yuri Vladimirov.

Vasiliev joined the Bolshoi two years after Osipova was taken into the company directly from the school.

Vasiliev was on the Bolshoi's 2006 London tour, and he got a lot of advanced publicity, including on television. He was a draw in his own right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):