This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dance Reviews and NYTimes

I've noticed something lately, and wondered if others have too, and if you know the reason for it: in the last few months, I've noticed that on the front of the Sunday NY Times Arts and Leisure section, where they post what's on the inside pages, I no longer see a Dance category (which used to be there, if not every week then frequently). It will, for example, say Film, p.XX, or theatre, p. XXX, but no longer dance. Even when there is, in fact, a long dance article somewhere inside that section. Today, for example, there is a nice article on page 11 about Daniil Simkin of ABT, but on the front headings, there's nothing to alert us to it. And that's been the case for weeks. Is this a policy decision, and if so, why???

I've noticed something lately, and wondered if others have too, and if you know the reason for it: in the last few months, I've noticed that on the front of the Sunday NY Times Arts and Leisure section, where they post what's on the inside pages, I no longer see a Dance category (which used to be there, if not every week then frequently). It will, for example, say Film, p.XX, or theatre, p. XXX, but no longer dance. Even when there is, in fact, a long dance article somewhere inside that section. Today, for example, there is a nice article on page 11 about Daniil Simkin of ABT, but on the front headings, there's nothing to alert us to it. And that's been the case for weeks. Is this a policy decision, and if so, why???

I have no answers for you, but I have noticed the same thing. I have to go through the Arts and Leisure section page by page in order to find the dance reviews, if any.

I have noticed, on the other hand, that in the past Alastair Macaulay reviewed only the opening night performance of every ballet, and now there are reviews not only of opening night but of a sweep of performances toward the end of the run. For that I'm grateful. I'm also grateful that Macaulay gave Veronika Part a very positive review for her performance in Sylvia.

I'm also grateful that Macaulay gave Veronika Part a very positive review for her performance in Sylvia.

Ah,yes -- shades of John Martin....It took him 10 years to write a review saying that Alonso was a great 'Giselle"--I still have the fading review tucked in a book -- April 15, 1955.

I'm also grateful that Macaulay gave Veronika Part a very positive review for her performance in Sylvia.

Ah,yes -- shades of John Martin....It took him 10 years to write a review saying that Alonso was a great 'Giselle"--I still have the fading review tucked in a book -- April 15, 1955.

That's awesome, atm711! I wish I had thought to save the Clive Barnes review of Ekaterina Maximova and Vasily Vasiliev's performance in Giselle back in the 1960s. But now I realize I can get it through the NY Times archive online. Still, it's not the same as the original newspaper.

That's awesome, atm711! I wish I had thought to save the Clive Barnes review of Ekaterina Maximova and Vasily Vasiliev's performance in Giselle back in the 1960s. But now I realize I can get it through the NY Times archive online. Still, it's not the same as the original newspaper.

I'm suddenly realizing that I may have Vasiliev's first name wrong. I know it wasn't Ivan. Was it Vladimir?