This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stage Managing 101

Thanks so much for the link -- as a former stage manager, I'm always pleased to see the position get some attention. (and I thought it was interesting that Ms Green is from the University of Washington, in my home town! I'm not sure if it's a trend, but Pacific Northwest Ballet has often had female stage managers.)

Yes, thank you for the link. As with you, it left me wanting to "know more" about the complete process. Audiences seem to be fascinated by the workings of the backstage -- to wit, the many audience members who sit through the complete, and lengthy back-stage intermission scenes at the Met HD/Live. So many just watch, without moving, without talking,

As a one-time super in a large-scale Nutcracker, I was able to observe from a number of angles the things that Ms. Green writes about. But I would have loved to hear her (or other stage manager) talk about what actually is being done. Opening up the behind-the-curtain world of stage managing, design, lighting, sets and costumes is something ballet companies should do more of.

Yes, thank you for the link. As with you, it left me wanting to "know more" about the complete process. Audiences seem to be fascinated by the workings of the backstage -- to wit, the many audience members who sit through the complete, and lengthy back-stage intermission scenes at the Met HD/Live. So many just watch, without moving, without talking,

It's a fascinating subject, but seems little documented. For some reason your comment made me think of "Road Construction" videos which were all the rage among parents a few years back - for some reason children (especially boys) will sit transfixed and watch open-mouthed as earth movers, bulldozers and the like move earth about and build a road. I've seen this same effect myself with a number of friend's children. So why not have a "backstage at the Met" video? ;) We can all "just watch, without moving, without talking".

From the backstage comes 'deus ex machina', and we are rightly fascinated.