• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

On the SFB blog there's a good starter article regarding stage managing...it left me wanting to know even more:

http://www.sfballetb...-101/#more-6754

By Jane Green
Stage Manager for San Francisco Ballet
June 25, 2013

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Thanks so much for the link -- as a former stage manager, I'm always pleased to see the position get some attention.  (and I thought it was interesting that Ms Green is from the University of Washington, in my home town!  I'm not sure if it's a trend, but Pacific Northwest Ballet has often had female stage managers.)

#3 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

Yes, thank you for the link.  As with you, it left me wanting to "know more" about the complete process.  Audiences seem to be fascinated by the workings of the backstage -- to wit, the many audience members who sit through  the complete, and lengthy back-stage intermission scenes at the Met HD/Live.  So many just watch, without moving, without talking,

As a one-time super in a large-scale Nutcracker, I was able to observe from a number of angles the things that Ms. Green writes about. But I would have loved to hear her (or other stage manager) talk about what actually is being done.  Opening up the behind-the-curtain world of stage managing, design, lighting, sets and costumes is something ballet companies should do more of.

#4 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

Boston Ballet has had a few female stage managers and even a couple where the wife was the stage manager and the husband the house manager.

#5 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Starting in the 70s, Maxine Glorsky was Production stage manager for Martha Graham for many years.  She also worked with Glen Tetley's co,  DTH and many others.

#6 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

Yes, thank you for the link.  As with you, it left me wanting to "know more" about the complete process.  Audiences seem to be fascinated by the workings of the backstage -- to wit, the many audience members who sit through  the complete, and lengthy back-stage intermission scenes at the Met HD/Live.  So many just watch, without moving, without talking,

It's a fascinating subject, but seems little documented. For some reason your comment made me think of "Road Construction" videos which were all the rage among parents a few years back - for some reason children (especially boys) will sit transfixed and watch open-mouthed as earth movers, bulldozers and the like move earth about and build a road. I've seen this same effect myself with a number of friend's children. So why not have a "backstage at the Met" video?  ;)  We can all "just watch, without moving, without talking".

From the backstage comes 'deus ex machina', and we are rightly fascinated.

#7 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

We loved the Road Construction Ahead video, and the one about air travel!

Take a look at "Sing Faster," which is a backstage view of the Met's Ring Cycle.  Their pocket synopsis of the plot is pretty special!

#8 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

This is great Sandik - thanks! I have a friend who used to be involved in film industry stage and prop work (he's since moved up a bit), I know he would love to see this...

#9 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Sandik, I thank you, too. that was marvelous.

I saw that production, and I'll NEVER forget when the dragon emerged form the mists. Real theater magic.

#10 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

It is big fun -- we're getting ready for the Ring in Seattle, so I've been listening in bits and pieces.  Though probably I should be training like a marathon

#11 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Strange, but funny, little animation: Stagehand VS Pit Musician (no doubt based on many real lilfe exchanges)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VUNHHmrX5sA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):