This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

New Dancers, 2014 season

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

One thing that Christopher Stowell's early resignation did was to allow any dancers who wanted to leave the company to contact/audition for other companies in the winter-spring contract time.

Given Stowell's long-time tenure and prominence with San Francisco Ballet, I'm not surprised that some of the OBT dancers would find it a hospitable company.   Rowe surely knows it well:  her OBT bio says that she spent a year at SFB's school (after ten at CPYB), before she joined OBT in 2008.   (Often the bio pages are kept on the site, even if the links to them from the dancer roster pages are removed.)

#17 tutu

tutu

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Some really lovely clips of Shibley collected here: 

and of Rowe here: 

Looks like both have a fair amount of soloist and principal experience.

#18 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Nice - and long! Quite long. I actually get some sense of the person from the backstage shots.

I've been wishing that SFB would alter their video style to incorporate longer sequences, and both rehearsal and performance footage.

#19 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

The list of graduate contracts has been published in the RBS Linbury performances programme. I see from this that Esteban Hernandez is joining SFB.

#20 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Yes, he is. Esteban posted that he was "looking for either a studio or a one bedroom apartment in San Francisco for moving in on the 15th of July" on his Facebook wall.

San Francisco Ballet is going to have an exciting new look this coming season, I think!

#21 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

Finally, the press release about the new lineup.

Here's a link to the dancers' bios.

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

New dancers (8) comprise a little over 11% of the 70-dancer roster.  That doesn't included apprentices, who are all new, or the five dancers who were promoted from apprentice to corps de ballet.

#23 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the newcomers, and we'll miss the ones who have left.  

Does anyone know where Nicole Ciapponi has gone?  She was one of my favorites in the corp.

No longer on the roster

Principal:
Pierre Francois Vilanoba
Vito Mazzeo

Soloists:
Elana Altman - taking a Masters at the University of Gastronomic Sciences in Italy (Italian food and Italian scenery vs. blisters and sore muscles.)
Courtney Elizabeth

Garen Scribner

Corp:
Nicole Ciapponi
Charlene Cohen
Madison Keesler - to English National Ballet
Mariellen Olson
Sebastian Vinet
Shion Yuasa

New to the Company for 2014:

Principal:
Mathilde Froustey

Soloists:
Simone Messmer
Dmitry Zagrebin

Corp:
Isabella deVivo
Esteban Hernandez
Alexandra Meyer-Lorey
Lauren Parrott
Julia Rowe
Emma Rubinowitz
Grace Shibley
Wei Wang

#24 Terez

Terez

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Gasp! Gasp! All this news to digest! Wow. Didn't see this thread early last week, when I was hunting around, looking to see if a 2014 roster had been posted. Now I've got a veritable treasure trove of information. Thanks, all. Can't wait to click some of these links.

I feel the inevitable vicarious pangs for those dancers let go. I know that's the nature of the beast, but I still hate it. So glad Madison Keesler got ENB - what an exciting place that surely will be this year, with Tamara Rojo at the helm and now Alina Cojocaru officially on board. I'm wondering where Charlene Cohen went off to. It seemed she was being given demi-soloist roles this past season; sorry to see her leaving rather than promoted. But then again, they've promoted several of their female corps dancers to soloists in the past year (at least four, maybe five?) and surely with so many new-ish soloists, they're the ones who will dance those roles. And Helgi likes to try out corps dancers in those roles, as well. Just makes me sad, tho, to see a corps dancer tested for bigger things, only to be pulled from the roster a year later. 

#25 PeggyTulle

PeggyTulle

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Shion Yuasa went to Tulsa Ballet. PFV retired. Garen Scribner will be at NDT. Vito Mazzeo is now with Dutch National Ballet. Sebastian Vinet is back in Chile (per Facebook).

I, too, wonder about Nicole Ciapponi and Charlene Cohen. Both were featured heavily over the past two years.

#26 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Probably just a waiting game until their new companies make formal announcements of hiring decisions for the 2013 / 2014 season.  This is true in the corporate world as well - you are asked not to announce anything or publish on social media until your new company is ready to make the announcement. 

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

[Admin beanie on]

Please provide links/source information for all unambiguous dancer information unless it's been documented in another thread (ex: Vito Mazzo to DNB, Vilanoba to retire), or it will be removed, and Facebook is a source only when it comes from a "Like" (formerly fan) page that is open to the public or a post on a personal page that it is not restricted (ie, you don't have to be "friend" to see it.)

[Admin beanie off]

Examples:

Madison Kessler:  her Twitter description currently reads, "(Warning:I tweet too much) I dance sometimes:Hamburg Ballet,San Francisco Ballet,& soon w/ English National Ballet. I'm just a dancing girl & social media dork.)"

Shion Yuasa:  her (public) Facebook profile says she works for Tulsa Ballet, and her page has an album of gorgeous photos from Japan 2013.

Garen Scribner's plans were posted to the SFB blog.

Probably just a waiting game until their new companies make formal announcements of hiring decisions for the 2013 / 2014 season.  This is true in the corporate world as well - you are asked not to announce anything or publish on social media until your new company is ready to make the announcement. 

Perhaps because companies are noted for selectively updating their websites and putting out press releases over the summer, some of it driven by contractual issues, that ship has sailed, as the above examples show.

#28 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

I've been wondering where Courtney Elizabeth will end up - I've haven't even heard rumors about what happened with her.

#29 PeggyTulle

PeggyTulle

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Courtney's LinkedIn profile states "Classical and Contemporary Performing Artist and Instructor" in/near Charlotte, NC.

#30 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Courtney's LinkedIn profile states "Classical and Contemporary Performing Artist and Instructor" in/near Charlotte, NC.

I suppose that means she is actively looking about. Not fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):