This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Simone Messmer (ABT Soloist) Leaving to San Francisco

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thanks, pherank.

It's hard to read this interview and not get emotionally hung up. Simone Messmer takes her career and her art form very seriously. Because of her amazing talent, sincerity and love this would seem totally understandable. She says that she wants to grow, do her best and be appreciated. Fair enough. I, for one, feel that she deserves this.

I think that Gia Kourlas' introduction sums up a lot of folks' feelings.

"This incredible American Ballet Theatre soloist will depart for San Francisco the day after ABT wraps up its Metropolitan Opera House season….She will be missed.

"For years, Simone Messmer has been one of my favorite dancers—not just at American Ballet Theatre, which she joined as an apprentice in 2002, but in the entire dance universe. With distinction, grit and unflinching elegance, she has provided a reason to endure otherwise meaningless ballets, as well as been spectacular in good ones like In the Upper Room, On the Dnieper and Firebird. Even so, she’s been too-often passed over for roles. Following ABT’s Metropolitan Opera House season, Messmer joins San Francisco Ballet; it’s a brave and bold decision, but I’ll miss her profoundly. One consolation is that her first performance with SFB will be in New York this fall. It’s fate."

These are a few of Simone Messmer's comments that stand out for me.   

"I think Kevin [McKenzie] thinks that I’m not as classical as some of his other dancers, which I can see in a sense, but I consider myself very versatile. I continue to work on my technique and really try to push myself…."

"And I’m an actress. There needs to be more focus on what you say when you point your foot and what you say in your transition steps.

"It’s about telling a story and putting yourself out there…. [This is perhaps a key statement. Her identity, her moves and expression may not all be classically fine (maybe they are) but their  statement and meaning are powerful.] 

" I made a real effort to not compromise in my career and that’s all I can do."

I wish her all the best. 

#17 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

It's also interesting that the interviewer happens to be the much-maligned Gia Kourlas. Forum members have been writing a lot about her of late.

Yes, bon chance to everyone at SFB and ABT.

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

Why did Kourlas put in parenthesis that Messmer cried while giving one of her responses?  Was it really necessary to add information about her demeanor, instead of just reporting the response itself?  I didn't think it was appropriate. 

#19 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Another one to SFB?!!! There's definitely something in the water.

I'm not familiar with Messmer's dancing, and it's not looking like there are many videos of her - Is there anything available on the Web?

Another one? Who was the first?

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Does anyonne know when Messmer's final performance at ABT will be?  Since she does not have any lead roles during the final week, it's not possible to discern that info from the ABT calendar.

#21 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'm not familiar with Messmer's dancing, and it's not looking like there are many videos of her - Is there anything available on the Web?

These discussions are getting all scatterd about on the forums, but what is known for now: Messmer and Mathilde Froustey to SFB, and Messmer herself says that a Bolshoi danseur is headed for SFB, but I've heard no confirmation of that. And I should say that SFB has made no official statements yet.

#22 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Does anyonne know when Messmer's final performance at ABT will be?  Since she does not have any lead roles during the final week, it's not possible to discern that info from the ABT calendar.

Messmer says in the article that her last performance will be the last SB (which is also the final ABT performance of the season) when she'll dance the "finger Fairy". 

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Not another one from ABT:  Mathilde Froustey from Paris Opera Ballet, who will take a one-year sabbatical.

#24 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

These discussions are getting all scatterd about on the forums, but what is known for now: Messmer and Mathilde Froustey to SFB, and Messmer herself says that a Bolshoi danseur is headed for SFB, but I've heard no confirmation of that. And I should say that SFB has made no official statements yet.

Thank you, Pherank. I thought what was meant was someone else from ABT. Phew!

#25 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Not another one from ABT:  Mathilde Froustey from Paris Opera Ballet, who will take a one-year sabbatical.

And thank you to you, Helene.

#26 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thanks ABT Fan. I'll be there for the last show to bid her farewell.  Kind of ironic that she'll be doing the Finger variation that night. 

#27 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Messmer cheekily said in the interview that she wasn't sure which finger she'll be giving during her variation!  Wish I could be there.  

#28 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

You mean Bolle, Cornejo, Gomes, Hallberg, Herrera, Kent, Murphy, Osipova, Part, Semionova, Simkin, Stearns, Vasliev and Vishneva aren't enough for you? ;)

(Not to mention Boone, Copeland and Radetsky who all went to SFB School)

#29 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

You mean Bolle, Cornejo, Gomes, Hallberg, Herrera, Kent, Murphy, Osipova, Part, Semionova, Simkin, Stearns, Vasliev and Vishneva aren't enough for you? ;)

(Not to mention Boone, Copeland and Radetsky who all went to SFB School)

Now I'm missing the drift here. I'm not sure why you're naming the principal dancers. I just thought you meant that someone else besides Simone Messmer was leaving ABT for SFB.

#30 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Now I'm missing the drift here. I'm not sure why you're naming the principal dancers. I just thought you meant that someone else besides Simone Messmer was leaving ABT for SFB.

Just making a quip, Angelica. Nothing to worry about.

I was just commenting on the personnel changes (that were being leaked out) - all involving SFB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):