dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Two reviews of the Australian Ballet in "Swan Lake."

ArtsHub

Murphy’s re-interpretation of the classical ballet draws on a real ‘eternal triangle’ within the British monarchy that had an unexpectedly tragic end. The dancing was suitably charged with emotion, from Siegfried’s rejection of Odette that started at their gorgeously staged wedding, to the Baroness’s implacable lack of pity for her rival. Harris danced superbly, with a proprietary air in her dealings with Siegfried that did not endear her character to the audience but was a faultless piece of acting.

The Sydney Morning Herald

Ditching the good and evil dichotomy of the traditional Swan Lake, Murphy gives us believable, complex characters caught in a royal love triangle. Lana Jones is luminous as the seductive Baroness von Rothbart, full of magnetic confidence. Amber Scott's Odette is a pale flower in comparison, brittle and easily rattled. Adam Bull, as the unfaithful Prince Siegfried, reaches previously unseen heights of dramatic fervour.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

The man who mugged ballet dancer Jack Widdowson  gets thirteen years.

Jack Widdowson, 19, from Somerset, was assaulted by Mohammed Ali Mohamoed, 27, on a disused canal towpath in Cardiff.

Mohamoed, of Splott, Cardiff, was found guilty at the city's crown court of causing grievous bodily harm with intent but cleared of attempted murder.

Related.

Doctors feared that Jack Widdowson, 19, would spend the rest of his life using a wheelchair after he was attacked during a night out in Cardiff.

But Widdowson, who was an apprentice with a Swiss ballet company, made an amazing recovery and fought back to full health, in part thanks to his fitness, strength and flexibility.

Related.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

A review of the Birmingham Royal Ballet  in "Giselle" by Phil Preece for Lichfield Live.

Iain Mackay’s performance as Count Albrecht first as the seducer and then as a penitent lover got better and better as the action progressed. His powerful athleticism allowed him most notably to make 25 consecutive leaps (entrechats) into the air in a final bid for freedom. Jenna Roberts as Giselle seemed to hardly touch the ground, first as a simple country girl then later as a spirit from beyond the grave.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Sarah Jessica Parker  will chair the New York City Ballet fall gala.

The evening of September 19 will see three world premieres of ballets by choreographers Benjamin Millepied, Justin Peck and Angelin Preljocaj, all of whom will collaborate with well-known designers to create the dancers' costumes.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

Verb Ballets  announces its 2013-14 season.

The Cleveland dance company will team with a number of community groups, including Dobama Theatre, Shadowbox Live Theatre of Columbus and the Inspired Veterans Action Campaign (IVAC) funded by the Ohio Arts Council.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

An interview with Polina Semionova.

"This is I was really lucky. I never had the doubt that I should try something else," she says.

But not all of her memories of the Bolshoi Academy are so warm, especially as a teenager. "I don't remember myself going out. I don't know clubs in Moscow, I know few restaurants. I never went out, it's just work, work, work from morning to late," Semionova says. "I think it's necessary this time, necessary to be like this, if you want to be prepared for the years which are coming."

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

An interview with Valentina Kozlova.

Q. I'm sure those first years here in the United States were difficult. What were your biggest challenges?

A. The biggest challenge was adjusting to the way things are done here. Russia and the United States were, at that time in history, at different ends of the dance spectrum. In the United States dancers take class at different schools, audition for different companies, etc.At the Bolshoi you are connected with the school, then the company.You work with the same people, have your teachers and coaches, even your own make-up artists and costumers.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

A review of the Australian Ballet  by Catherine Lambert for The Herald Sun.

Similarly, it was impossible to not recall the great Steven Heathcote dancing Prince Siegfried, but Adam Bull is going from strength to strength with character roles. It his hard to imagine a better dance technique and this role calls on a huge range of emotion which he conquers admirably.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

An exhibition of photographs featuring Rudolf Nureyev is currently showing at the Dom Nashchokina Gallery.

An ardent collector, Nureyev filled his rooms with antique furniture and old musical instruments. In the photos, the walls are covered with nude oil paintings, gleaming icons and jewel-toned tapestries. Nureyev, then already sick with the disease that would claim his life, sits on an embroidered throne in period dress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):