This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ROH ticketing question

I wonder whether anyone could give me some advice about this. I've never dealt with ticket returns or exchanges at the Royal Opera House. This is what the ROH web site tells me, but I would appreciate insight from people with first-hand experience with returns and exchanges.

Can I exchange tickets?

Exchanges can be made to tickets within the same price band or higher and are subject to availability. You may only request an exchange by telephone or in person, for productions in a Season that is open for public sale. Successful exchanges are subject to a £2 fee per ticket exchanged plus the cost of the new tickets. The original tickets must be returned to the Box Office no later than three working days prior to the performance; these tickets would then be fully refunded to the original purchaser. Exchanges are not permitted within three working days prior to the performance. Please note that tickets to productions by The Royal Ballet and The Royal Opera cannot be exchanged with tickets to productions by visiting Companies.

If returning a ticket for a Saturday or Sunday / Bank Holiday performance, the ticket must reach us in the post on the Friday as we have no deliveries on weekends or Bank Holidays. Otherwise, customers need to return unwanted tickets in person.

Can you sell a ticket for me if I no longer need it?

The Royal Opera House cannot guarantee the sale of any tickets returned to the Box Office regardless of ticket availability and/or demand. Returned tickets will only be offered for re-sale with the authorisation of the original purchaser. Returned tickets will only be made available for re-sale at the management’s discretion, providing that the original tickets are returned in good time prior to the performance. If returning a ticket for a Saturday or Sunday / Bank Holiday performance, the ticket must reach us in the post on the Friday as we have no deliveries on weekends or Bank Holidays. Otherwise, customers need to return unwanted tickets in person. Returned tickets are sold subject to customer demand and ONLY if there are no more tickets available in that part of the theatre or in that price band. Returned tickets may be withdrawn from re-sale at any time at the original purchaser’s request and/or at the management’s discretion. Any refunds will be made to the original purchaser. If returned tickets are successfully re-sold, a £2 fee per ticket re-sold will apply. This fee is charged to the original purchaser (the fee does not apply to rehearsal tickets). All refund payments will be made using the original method of payment, where possible, upon the successful re-sale of the returned tickets. Otherwise, a refund cheque in pounds sterling will be issued (except to overseas patrons – please allow up to 28 working days after the performance to receive a cheque).

The Box Office will write to you within 28 working days of the performance if your returned tickets are partially or fully re-sold. If your tickets are not re-sold we will still write to you enclosing the original tickets. If you do not hear from us within 28 working days of the performance, please call the Box Office on +44 (0)20 7304 4000.

Please be aware that there is always an implied risk that your tickets may not be re-sold. The Box Office sometimes receives returns from contractual obligations and other sources near the time of the performance. These tickets are always made available to purchase before tickets returned by individual patrons are offered for re-sale.

I have also had very good success with returning tickets to the ROH, even when doing it at the last minute, or almost (about 330 pm for a recent evening performance of Mayerling). The refund appeared on my credit card account very promptly. Be aware though, that when you buy something with your credit card, the credit card company adds a 2.5% commission to the purchase, and you don't get that back when you get your refund, so you will be a little out of pocket.