Mathilde Froustey, POB sujet, changing companies -joining San Francisco Ballet as Principal Dancer

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Buddy

Buddy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but high school French was 50 years ago: what is the correct pronounciation of her last name? I was thinking
Froo' stee.

I would say Mah-teel-deh Froo-stay. Marga ?

#32 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,571 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

I'm fairly sure her first name would be closer to Mah-teeld.

#33 Buddy

Buddy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'm fairly sure her first name would be closer to Mah-teeld.

I tend to think that you are right, although pronunciations  can vary slightly.

#34 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,571 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Aside from Pascal Molat and Sofiane Sylve, and maybe Dana Genshaft,

If Genshaft is a French-speaker, then she may have been able to use the language on a recent trip to New Orleans to teach class for the New Orleans Ballet Associate students.

#35 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Aside from Pascal Molat and Sofiane Sylve, and maybe Dana Genshaft,

If Genshaft is a French-speaker, then she may have been able to use the language on a recent trip to New Orleans to teach class for the New Orleans Ballet Associate students.

I don't know for certain, but she spent some of her teenage years at the L’Ecole de l’Opera de Paris.

At one time, SFB was claiming they had dancers from 17 different countries, which I can believe. That has to make for some interesting communication issues at times.

#36 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but high school French was 50 years ago: what is the correct pronounciation of her last name? I was thinking
Froo' stee.

I would say Mah-teel-deh Froo-stay. Marga ?

I did ask my husband about the correct pronunciation of the last name and he confirmed it to be "FROOStee" as Peggy (and I) assumed. I would pronounce her first name as " MaTILD' ". Of course, you may be right, Buddy - next person to ask is someone who knows her personally!

Edited to add: Helene, I read your response after I posted mine. You and I agree on the pronunciation of Mathilde.

Edited by Marga, 28 June 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#37 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Mathilde Froustey Tweeted this:  Suite en Blanc pas de trois with Froustey, Davit Karapetyan and Vitor Luiz.  Not crazy about the choreography, but she's lovely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):