Mathilde Froustey, POB sujet, changing companies -joining San Francisco Ballet as Principal Dancer

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

Mathilde Froustey has just posted her good news on her FB page that after 11 years with the Paris Opera Ballet she is joining San Francisco Ballet as a Principal dancer for the 2013-2014 season.

Il est grand temps de vous annoncer qu'à partir du 1er juillet je deviendrai "Principal dancer" au San Francisco Ballet pour la saison 2013/2014 ! 
Merci encore à vous tous pour votre soutien et votre amitié, merci au public parisien pour toute l'énergie et l'amour que vous m'avez offert, ce fut un immense plaisir de danser pour vous! 
Merci enfin à cette magnifique compagnie du Ballet de l'Opéra de Paris pour ces 11ans passés aux cotés d'êtres et de danseurs exceptionnels que je continuerai à admirer toujours.

I think she's a lovely dancer whom I have had the privilege to see in person only once. I hope that what seems to be a one-year contract will be extended after the year is up and that she enjoys the great opportunities she will have with San Francisco Ballet.

http://deballet.com/...stey/videos/596

Translation of Mathilde's message:

"It is time to announce that from the first of July I will become "Principal Dancer" at the San Francisco Ballet for the 2013/2014 season!
Thanks again to all of you for your support and your friendship, thank you to the Parisian public for all the energy and love that you have given me, it was a great pleasure to dance for you!
Finally, thank you to this wonderful company, Paris Opera Ballet, for the eleven years I spent alongside exceptional dancers that I will continue to admire always."

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

Congratulations to Ms. Froustey :flowers:

#3 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

Congratulations to Ms. Froustey and welcome to San Francisco.

Her hiring somewhat redresses the imbalance of female/male principals at SFB.  Last season, it was 7/12; for 2014, with Villanova and Mazzeo gone and Froustey on board, its now 8/10, assuming no other changes.

For anyone who has seen her perform:  where might she fit in terms of roles?  Is she essentially lyrical, soubrette???

#4 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

For anyone who has seen her perform:  where might she fit in terms of roles?  Is she essentially lyrical, soubrette…???

I would say both, she is remarkably versatile.   Although it isn't unknown for POB dancers to leave their company it is still pretty unusual.  She is a gorgeous dancer SFB fans are in for a treat.

#5 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

As a big Fan of Froustey (FoF), I am thrilled that she is bolting to San Fco to Principal Ballerina status, no less. It's ridiculous that she was still a sujet in Paris. Maybe Thibault could do the same?

#6 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

Did she come to NY on tour with POB?  I don't remember her.

Do you think McKenzie's wheels are already spinning about a potential guest appearance by Froustey during the SFB off-season.

#7 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Did she come to NY on tour with POB?

No, she was among the dancers who remained in Paris to dance in Ashton's La Fille mal gardée.

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

San Francisco Ballet has had a number of French- and other European-trained dancers over the years during Tomasson's tenure. She should fit right in.

#9 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

Sorry for my ignorance, but high school French was 50 years ago: what is the correct pronounciation of her last name? I was thinking
Froo' stee.

#10 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

As soon as I heard that Froustey was leaving POB I had a sudden premonition that she would appear at SFB. And now I'm shocked to learn that is exactly what has happened. Many of us have been wondering about certain disappearances from the rosters - either there was budget trouble, or the comapny was making room for someone new. Will there be more suprises for SFB this summer?

#11 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

Footage of Mathilde Froustey in Serenade:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LwudwT8ZwvE

And a more intimate, close-up filming of a rehearsal with Froutsey and Mathias Heymann

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IPZmMziNwn0

And showing off her technique as Kitri (Don Q):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rSyg7-1ltXg

Edited by pherank, 21 June 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#12 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Will there be more suprises for SFB this summer?

We can only hope and wait.

In the first movements, she brings a Waltz Girl sensibility to Russian Girl.  It's a dramatic rendition in the final movement.

#13 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

I personally love that SFB is getting a dancer from the POB school - Sofiane Sylve certainly has a French aesthetic within her dancing as well, but shows other influences (she's more 'international'). Froustey will be more 'pure' in her application, and I think that will be most interesting.

Would be nice to have a Vaganova trained dancer as well (male or female) in the SFB soloist ranks. I'm open to Big Red coming over from the Mariinsky.  ;)  But that's just me. Her interest in contemporary ballets would be put to good use.

Hopefully this means that Froustey is very interested in the SFB's particular repertory.

#14 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Will there be more suprises for SFB this summer?

We can only hope and wait.

In the first movements, she brings a Waltz Girl sensibility to Russian Girl.  It's a dramatic rendition in the final movement.

Very -- her use of focus was quite dynamic.

#15 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Matilde is a very intersting dancer, versitile musicale, I saw her dance opposite Aurelie Dupont with Mathias Heymann as the younger sister in Onegin, SFB are certainly in for a treat. Bonne chance to her for this venture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):