• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#46 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Additional information on the Lincoln Center Festival site: www.lincolncenterfestival.org

7 performances of Swan Lake from Tuesday, July 15 - Sunday, July 20

3 performances of Don Quixote on Tuesday, July 22 and 2 on Wednesday, July 23

3 performances of Spartacus on Friday, July 25, Saturday, July 26 and Sunday, July 27

All performances in the Koch Theater. No information about when tickets go on sale or ticket prices, but Friends of the Festival (minimum: $100) are supposed to get access before the public.

#47 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

This could be subject to change, of course, but the site touts the participation of Svetlana Zakharova, David Hallberg, Ekaterina Shipulina, Vladislav Lantratov, Olga Smirnova, Ekaterina Krysanova, Mikhail Lobukhin, Ruslan Skvortsov and Maria Alexandrova, in that order. I certainly hope for the return of Alexandrova by then.

http://www.lincolnce...oi-ballet-opera

#48 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Why isn't Obratsova on that list!

#49 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Because she doesn't do Swan Lake or Spartacus, and with only three performances of Don Quixote, they've already got too many Kitris who also dance the other ballets: Alexandrova, Krysanova, Shipulina and Zakharova.

#50 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

I hope they bring Obratsova to the Kennedy Center for Giselle. She does that role, right?

#51 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

Naturally.

http://www.bolshoi.r...s/41/roles/#all

#52 Meow

Meow

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Obraztsova at the Kennedy Center would be a dream.

#53 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Because she doesn't do Swan Lake or Spartacus, and with only three performances of Don Quixote, they've already got too many Kitris who also dance the other ballets: Alexandrova, Krysanova, Shipulina and Zakharova.

Isn't there a YouTube video of Obratzova rehearsing "Swan Lake"? Is that she did it at the Mariinsky and not the Bolshoi? They do have many Odette/Odiles on their roster.

#54 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

I believe Obraztsova danced Burmeister's version at the Stanislavsky, but she has never danced in Grigorovich's production. As you say, there are lots of active Swan Queens on the Bolshoi roster, and it's not a given that its primas will get the part, especially the small ones. For example, Nina Kaptsova only ever dances the pas de trois, and Natalia Osipova was never cast as Odette-Odile either. Ekaterina Krysanova and Kristina Kretova are on the small side, but they're rail thin, with very slender limbs. Anna Nikulina is also not especially tall, but her limbs are extremely long.

http://www.bolshoi.r...s/36/roles/#all

#55 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Obratsova has gotten some plum roles this season, so I am sure she will get O/O in the next few years.  If not at Bolshoi than at Royal Ballet. 

#56 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Since there is no mention of either Vasiliev or Osipova, can we assume that they will not be invited as guests for the NY engagement?

They are scheduled to be in Costa Mesa, California, July 25-27, abatt.

#57 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

Obraztsova has not danced Odette/Odile in Mariinsky as she has not got the physique for that role. she did that in Stanislavsky and I saw that performance on YouTube but she was simply not good in that. Her limbs are short and her fouettés were not good then.

#58 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

This could be subject to change, of course, but the site touts the participation of Svetlana Zakharova, David Hallberg, Ekaterina Shipulina, Vladislav Lantratov, Olga Smirnova, Ekaterina Krysanova, Mikhail Lobukhin, Ruslan Skvortsov and Maria Alexandrova, in that order. I certainly hope for the return of Alexandrova by then.

http://www.lincolnce...oi-ballet-opera

Other sources also name Anna Nikulina and Maria Vinogradova, who would dance Phrygia, Artem Ovcharenko, another Siegfried, and Denis Rodkin, the other Spartacus.

http://www.broadwayw...stival-20140108

#59 Turandot

Turandot

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Obraztsova has not danced Odette/Odile in Mariinsky as she has not got the physique for that role. she did that in Stanislavsky and I saw that performance on YouTube but she was simply not good in that. Her limbs are short and her fouettés were not good then.

Judging from videos I liked Miss Obraztsova very much in Swan Lake so my opinion is different from yours. Cojocaru is another petite Odette/ Odile. Cojocaru has similar, petite build and proportions most naturally suited to Aurora, Juliet, and Giselle. It is unusual today to see petite Odette/ Odiles but Cojocaru, if we are judging by videos on youtube, was great in my opinion in both roles from the short clips we see. It is also a modern phenomenon that Odette/ Odiles are tall, very thin, and longer limbed than classical proportions. Bolshoi lets Maria Alexandrova dance it and she was not your typical wispy Odette/Odile again judging by videos. Not as big in build as Sara Mearns ( I love Sara btw ) but definitely not thin by Russian standards it seems. There is nothing wrong with Odette/ Odile who is not rail thin too.

My point is, a ballerina should not be denied the ballet solely due to "short limbs" as you say which is also up for debate in the case of Obraztsova, Cojocaru and others. Perhaps short as compared to the Polina Senionovas of the world. I would agree to that if that is what you mean. What I want to see in Swan Lake is whether the ballerina can tell a story or at least give a great take on even just one of the dual roles.

#60 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

Bolshoi lets Maria Alexandrova dance it and she was not your typical wispy Odette/Odile again judging by videos. Not as big in build as Sara Mearns ( I love Sara btw ) but definitely not thin by Russian standards it seems.

No, but she is tall, which is the Russian preference, and she can perform the solo choreography without a hitch or wobble. Grigorovich's Odile variation, which incidentally uses the same music as Burmeister's, is based almost entirely on rapid turns, and Alexandrova whizzes through it with astonishing speed. She also puts the story across most effectively, though her Odette is no shrinking violet.

But I think Jayne makes a valid observation. If, for whatever reason, the Bolshoi does not see Obraztsova as Odette-Odile, whether this is because Filin deemed her Stanislavsky performances unsuccessful or because Grigorovich does not think her suitable, then perhaps a company like the Royal Ballet, which fields Swan Queens like tiny Roberta Marquez, may give her the opportunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):