This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013-14 season announcement

Because she doesn't do Swan Lake or Spartacus, and with only three performances of Don Quixote, they've already got too many Kitris who also dance the other ballets: Alexandrova, Krysanova, Shipulina and Zakharova.

Isn't there a YouTube video of Obratzova rehearsing "Swan Lake"? Is that she did it at the Mariinsky and not the Bolshoi? They do have many Odette/Odiles on their roster.

I believe Obraztsova danced Burmeister's version at the Stanislavsky, but she has never danced in Grigorovich's production. As you say, there are lots of active Swan Queens on the Bolshoi roster, and it's not a given that its primas will get the part, especially the small ones. For example, Nina Kaptsova only ever dances the pas de trois, and Natalia Osipova was never cast as Odette-Odile either. Ekaterina Krysanova and Kristina Kretova are on the small side, but they're rail thin, with very slender limbs. Anna Nikulina is also not especially tall, but her limbs are extremely long.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/36/roles/#all

This could be subject to change, of course, but the site touts the participation of Svetlana Zakharova, David Hallberg, Ekaterina Shipulina, Vladislav Lantratov, Olga Smirnova, Ekaterina Krysanova, Mikhail Lobukhin, Ruslan Skvortsov and Maria Alexandrova, in that order. I certainly hope for the return of Alexandrova by then.

http://www.lincolncenterfestival.org/bolshoi-ballet-opera

Other sources also name Anna Nikulina and Maria Vinogradova, who would dance Phrygia, Artem Ovcharenko, another Siegfried, and Denis Rodkin, the other Spartacus.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Cate-Blanchett-Led-THE-MAIDS-and-More-Set-for-2014-Lincoln-Center-Festival-20140108

Obraztsova has not danced Odette/Odile in Mariinsky as she has not got the physique for that role. she did that in Stanislavsky and I saw that performance on YouTube but she was simply not good in that. Her limbs are short and her fouettés were not good then.

Judging from videos I liked Miss Obraztsova very much in Swan Lake so my opinion is different from yours. Cojocaru is another petite Odette/ Odile. Cojocaru has similar, petite build and proportions most naturally suited to Aurora, Juliet, and Giselle. It is unusual today to see petite Odette/ Odiles but Cojocaru, if we are judging by videos on youtube, was great in my opinion in both roles from the short clips we see. It is also a modern phenomenon that Odette/ Odiles are tall, very thin, and longer limbed than classical proportions. Bolshoi lets Maria Alexandrova dance it and she was not your typical wispy Odette/Odile again judging by videos. Not as big in build as Sara Mearns ( I love Sara btw ) but definitely not thin by Russian standards it seems. There is nothing wrong with Odette/ Odile who is not rail thin too.

My point is, a ballerina should not be denied the ballet solely due to "short limbs" as you say which is also up for debate in the case of Obraztsova, Cojocaru and others. Perhaps short as compared to the Polina Senionovas of the world. I would agree to that if that is what you mean. What I want to see in Swan Lake is whether the ballerina can tell a story or at least give a great take on even just one of the dual roles.

Bolshoi lets Maria Alexandrova dance it and she was not your typical wispy Odette/Odile again judging by videos. Not as big in build as Sara Mearns ( I love Sara btw ) but definitely not thin by Russian standards it seems.

No, but she is tall, which is the Russian preference, and she can perform the solo choreography without a hitch or wobble. Grigorovich's Odile variation, which incidentally uses the same music as Burmeister's, is based almost entirely on rapid turns, and Alexandrova whizzes through it with astonishing speed. She also puts the story across most effectively, though her Odette is no shrinking violet.

But I think Jayne makes a valid observation. If, for whatever reason, the Bolshoi does not see Obraztsova as Odette-Odile, whether this is because Filin deemed her Stanislavsky performances unsuccessful or because Grigorovich does not think her suitable, then perhaps a company like the Royal Ballet, which fields Swan Queens like tiny Roberta Marquez, may give her the opportunity.

My point is, a ballerina should not be denied the ballet solely due to "short limbs" as you say which is also up for debate in the case of Obraztsova, Cojocaru and others. Perhaps short as compared to the Polina Senionovas of the world. I would agree to that if that is what you mean. What I want to see in Swan Lake is whether the ballerina can tell a story or at least give a great take on even just one of the dual roles.

Have you seen the full Grigrovich Swan Lake? In this version, Odette is a puppet or a vision made by the Evil Genius and she leads the Prince to his death. It is very different from the Bourmeister version of Swan Lake performed at Stanislavsky which is much more theatrical. Dramatic ballerinas are suited for the Bourmeister version but the Grigrovich one does not require much of that quality. Also the Sergeiev version at the Mariinsky is not so dramatic.

What I require for Odette / Odile is that they should be ethereal as Odette, with Swan-like port de bras and long limbs like wings. Cojocaru was not renowned as Odette / Odile either, I heard from my British friends that she wasn't so good in that role. Swan Lake is simply not a dramatic ballet IMHO. I would see something MacMillan if I want to see drama.

I have seen Maria Alexandrova dance Odette/ Odile at Bolshoi live, and although she is not thin, she is quite tall and I agree much with volcanohunter's opinion, a very powerful and seducing Odile. The Grigorovich's Odile variation needs very strong technique and almost evil charisma, which Alexandrova posesses. (I do think her Odette is weaker than her Odile, although she does look very much like a bird with her athletic and eloquent arms)

But as Jayne pointed out, maybe Royal Ballet might give her opportunity.

Naomikage, yes I have seen the Bolshoi version of Swan Lake, five times to be precise. In my over thirty years of ballet experience both as serious student to regular attendance of shows mainly here in New York, I find the Grigorovich version to be the least inspired. The lack of mime scenes while emphasizing on the most bombastic stylings typical of Grigorovich are what made this version a no go for me.

An extremely long limbed and very, very thin ballerina does have the advantage of carving out certain illusions on the stage in certain roles better. But that is by nature of their physical gifts. This does not mean however that a classically proportioned and petite ballerina is unable to give same illusion of fluidity or generosity in movement. You can have a tall and thin ballerina with limbs all over the place and have no natural sense of actual dance, like Oxana Skorik even with all the so called advantages in physique she has. How a ballerina moves as a dancer, the quality of her movements, use of rhythm and music in phrasing, ability to shape a character, charisma, etc..are not restrictive as long as she has classical proportions.

Also I forgot to point out, Naomikage, that I disagree with your opinion about great Odette/ Odiles be mainly dependent on how much physically they resemble a bird. Margot Fonteyn was a most wonderful Odette/ Odile because she was able to convey a story with her regal styling not because her limbs approached crane-like, avian proportions. If it's an Odette trying to do imitation of a bird queen, then I will go watch the Trocks.

Interesting that ABT gave the green light for Hallberg to appear w. the Bolshoi in NY in only days after the closing of the ABT season in spite of the non compete agreeement. No such courtesy was extended to the Mikhailovsky when it asked for Osipova and Vasiliev to be freed fromt the non-compete clause about 2 years ago whent the Mik was scheduled to appear at the Koch. Is there any logic to these varying outcomes? Was the deciding factor that the Mik engagement was simultaneous w. the ABT season, whereas the Bolshoi engagement will start immediately following the conclusion of the ABT season.

Interesting that ABT gave the green light for Hallberg to appear w. the Bolshoi in NY in only days after the closing of the ABT season in spite of the non compete agreeement. No such courtesy was extended to the Mikhailovsky when it asked for Osipova and Vasiliev to be freed fromt the non-compete clause about 2 years ago whent the Mik was scheduled to appear at the Koch. Is there any logic to these varying outcomes? Was the deciding factor that the Mik engagement was simultaneous w. the ABT season, whereas the Bolshoi engagement will start immediately following the conclusion of the ABT season.

Quite interesting indeed. Though to be fair, Hallberg has earned goodwill for his years with ABT. I believe he joined in 2000. Natalia Osipova never gave ABT the impression that she was committed to the company on full time basis when she joined since she was splitting time between two companies from the beginning. Also both ABT and Mikhailovsky were using Osipova to sell tickets. With Hallberg I don't see the same thing. On top of this, Hallberg's case differs in that he had years with ABT before splitting time with Bolshoi. I also have a hunch that ABT may like Hallberg being associated with Bolshoi plus the prestige that comes with it by proxy to ABT. Kevin McKenzie likes Russian dancers after all.

it seems there are performances of Bolshoi at Saratoga Springs

http://www.saratogian.com/general-news/20131204/bolshoi-ballet-tickets-available-for-the-holidays

online availability beginning at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10, at spac.org

It seems they are already selling tickets. Any casting info?

helpsmilie.gif

Does anyone know when we'll have casting information for the Koch? There are some dancers I want to see and one in particular I want to avoid. I hate buying tickets when it's a crap shoot.

Also, it is my impression that once ABT announces casting, they only change it in the case of injury or other unforeseen problem. However, I seem to remember from posts on this forum that the Russian companies have fewer qualms about changing casting at the last minute. Am I wrong about that?

Lord knows there are no guarantees where casting for Russian companies is concerned. Casting for the Bolshoi's last London tour changed several times during advance and general sales (and casting for the Mariinsky's Swan Lake in Washington hasn't exactly been set in stone either). Once the Bolshoi did finally settle on casts, they did pretty much hold for the first week. But then injuries set in, and by the final performance three weeks later, casting for every major character in the ballet had been changed at least once; only one dancer appeared in his role as originally advertised, but not before being changed and then changed back again.

During the London visit I was at least able to take advantage of the return-for-resale policy of the Royal Opera House. I bought tickets to just about everything as insurance and held onto them until the day of the show, though ultimately I returned tickets to four performances because, like you, I was not especially keen on the casting. Because it was the Bolshoi and because every performance was sold out, the tickets did resell, and I went to see something else on those evenings. It's a very enlightened box office policy I wish were more prevalent.

Well it seems there are many opinions talking about the interpretation of Odette and I value other opinions. But I don't think Odette should look like Juliet IMHO. I didn't say that Odette must look like a bird and i meant a little negative expression about saying Alexandorova's Odette looked like a bird (or rather a bird of prey) though I adore her very much as a ballerina. Odette should be ethereal, subtle and lyrical.

There are dancers who are born to do this role such as Lopatkina, Zakharova and Tereshkina. And it is insulting to compare those with the Trocks. (Trocks is fine and good but not something to be talked about in this conversation)

Well it seems there are many opinions talking about the interpretation of Odette and I value other opinions. But I don't think Odette should look like Juliet IMHO. I didn't say that Odette must look like a bird and i meant a little negative expression about saying Alexandorova's Odette looked like a bird (or rather a bird of prey) though I adore her very much as a ballerina. Odette should be ethereal, subtle and lyrical.

There are dancers who are born to do this role such as Lopatkina, Zakharova and Tereshkina. And it is insulting to compare those with the Trocks. (Trocks is fine and good but not something to be talked about in this conversation)

Opinions are varied in Swan Lake. But the more acceptable opinion today is the tall and very thin ballerina as Odette/ Odile. That reflects unnecessary rigidity to some like me. I am glad Bolshoi does not seem to be as rigid as Mariinsky Ballet. You say you prefer swan like port de bras, however that is defined, and also long wing-like arms as prerequisites. I certainly don't think your preference incorrect. Certain star ballerinas are not to my liking but that's just due to personal tastes. I think Zakharova has a tendency of dancing every role in the same Zakharova way. For this reason I will skip her Bolshoi Swan Lake in the tour. The same predictable extensions often at expense of phrasing even though she is an absolutely beautiful dancer with gorgeous technique. Since Ms. Obraztsova was brought up for criticism by you, she is obviously a dancer you dislike enough to repeat the opinion that every role she dances is basically Juliet. But you don't offer anything to explain why, because from what I've seen this is not true. Not arguing about her, it's about sharing reasons for having certain views.

I think the Trocks would take it as compliment that their Odette is referred to as Bird Queen. Where in my post did I compare Lopatkina, Tereshkina, and Zakharova to the Trocks? Long, wing-like arms flapping meaninglessly is what some long limbed ballerinas like Ms. Skorik take to extreme. That's what I was trying to get across. My bad.

Tickets went on sale this morning for Friends, but only as part of a package. If you go to all three ballets, you get 15% off. But you can't select your own seat - you only pick a section. List prices range from $200-$55 for orchestra, $200-$80 for 1st ring, $175-55 for 2nd ring, $120-$40 for 3rd ring. No pricing listed for 4th ring - perhaps that will be closed off? The packages go on sale for the general public January 21. Single tickets go on sale in "late March." I'm wondering if you will get to pick your own seat in March when single tickets go on sale. Does anybody know how Lincoln Center Festival handles such things?

Does anybody remember how they handled this for POB two years ago? If you physically go to the box office, do you get to pick your own seats? Do you get to pick seats when singles go on sale later? It's especially annoying that they do not post a seating chart showing how they are dividing up the orchestra, etc. into different price ranges. Is it roughly what NYCB does?

Edited by California

Does anybody remember how they handled this for POB two years ago? If you physically go to the box office, do you get to pick your own seats? Do you get to pick seats when singles go on sale later? It's especially annoying that they do not post a seating chart showing how they are dividing up the orchestra, etc. into different price ranges. Is it roughly what NYCB does?

If I recall correctly, fourth ring seats were not put on sale initially, but the area was opened up eventually, as each show was pretty much packed to the rafters. I did see a couple of performances from up there. I bought all my tickets online, so I can't say anything about visiting the box office, except that even picking up tickets was a bit confusing because the main ticket hub for the festival was at Avery Fisher Hall. I remember being able to choose a price range and ring level, but the computer would spit out the seat selections--and show you exactly where they were before they were added to the shopping basket.