This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013-14 season announcement

Unlike the Mik, the Bolshoi has plenty of stars. Bolshoi can sell out the Met with SL and DQ with or without Hallberg and/or Vasiliev. (Spartacus isn't exactly an audience favorite, so that's going to be a tougher sell no matter who is cast.)I'm guessing this delay of signing contracts must somehow relate to money, not personnel. It's probably a negotiating maneuver by the Bolshoi.

If the Bolshoi doesn't end up coming to NYC, I seriously doubt that they will come to Saratoga.

I'm not sure that Hallberg would necessarily be a big draw in NYC for the Bolshoi anyway. When the Bolshoi visits NYC, a large segment of the audience, including many, many Russians, want to see Russian dancers who were trained at the Bolshoi, not Americans.

I agree and would add that just the name "Bolshoi" sells--well known stars or not. But I'm not sure about Spartacus not being an audience favorite--For many people (and I should think especially the Russian audience in New York) Spartacus "is" the Bolshoi. Perhaps that's an outdated notion??

If the Bolshoi doesn't end up coming to NYC, I seriously doubt that they will come to Saratoga.

I'd agree with you except that the Bolshoi is definitely going to DC with Giselle. True, Giselle is a 'smaller' ballet than the major Petipas and Grigoroviches. The 2013/14 KennCen Ballet Season has been marketed/tickets sold through the power of the Bolshoi, in great part. No way that the Bolshoi will cancel, unless there's a huge int'l political crisis that forces all cultural exchanges 'twix US-Russia to be halted.

Yes, I agree Natalia. The Kennedy Center Giselle is a done deal. The contract that the Bolshoi would have w. the Kennedy Center was inked a long time ago and that engagement is definite. The deal they are trying to work out w. Lincoln Center is an entirely separate contract that has nothing to do with the Kennedy Center engagement. I think the KC must offer very good deals to major ballet companies, and the KC has lots of taxpayer money to fund these engagements (in additon to private capital donations).

The Saratoga engagement sounds like an add on. Hey, we're going to NYC, we might as well throw on an extra week to the NY tour and make some more $$$ in Saratoga.

The SPAC engagement is an add-on side trip to the NYC main event, it's not economical on it's own. They may have to cancel SPAC if the NYC deal falls thru. But I wonder why they announced the SPAC tour before the NYC engagement is finalized, the SPAC announcement actually gives Lincoln Center more leverage assuming they're still negotiating.

BTW, Spartacus sold out last time they were here.

Unlike the Mik, the Bolshoi has plenty of stars. Bolshoi can sell out the Met with SL and DQ with or without Hallberg and/or Vasiliev. (Spartacus isn't exactly an audience favorite, so that's going to be a tougher sell no matter who is cast.)I'm guessing this delay of signing contracts must somehow relate to money, not personnel. It's probably a negotiating maneuver by the Bolshoi.

I'm not sure that Hallberg would necessarily be a big draw in NYC for the Bolshoi anyway. When the Bolshoi visits NYC, a large segment of the audience, including many, many Russians, want to see Russian dancers who were trained at the Bolshoi, not Americans.

I agree and would add that just the name "Bolshoi" sells--well known stars or not. But I'm not sure about Spartacus not being an audience favorite--For many people (and I should think especially the Russian audience in New York) Spartacus "is" the Bolshoi. Perhaps that's an outdated notion??

From the amount of Russian I heard in the audience at the recent live broadcast of the Bolshoi's Spartacus in Toronto (which was much better attended than the Royal B's Don Q) I deduce that is pretty accurate.

KC has lots of taxpayer money to fund these engagements (in additon to private capital donations).

I have to open my mouth here. The Kennedy Center operates under a unique structure. Performances are not funded by taxpayer dollars. The physical plant of the building and the "living memorial to President Kennedy" are operated with tax dollars through the National Park Service. Performances, educational programing, administrative staff, etc. are funded through the Kennedy Center Trust. Performances went on as usual during the federal government shutdown.

Smart marketing tool. SPAC might as well get people's money as early as possible, given the demand. The Bolshoi ticket prices at SPAC are CHEAP compared to what I anticipate will be charged for the NYC engagement, assuming it actually goes forward.

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, if the Manhattan engagement is cancelled, then the Saratoga performances would not go forward. (It makes no sense economically for the Bolshoi to go to Saratoga only.) Lincoln Center Festival usually doesn't announce its summer lineup until March.

My understanding generally speaking is that presenters don't like ballet companies announcing their engagements before the presenter does. So this was true, for instance, for the National Ballet of Canada when they went to LA and to the Kennedy Center. The NBOC knew, of course, that they would be on tour but they didn't post it on their website till the presenters had done so. As abatt pointed out, LCFestival doesn't announce its lineup till March.

This would not explain, however, why Saratoga has disappeared from the Bolshoi site.

Just read the entire link. Many of the offerings this summer for the Festival sound interesting too. Cate Blanchett and Isabelle Huppert onthe same stage - I'm there.

The article highlights that Hallberg will appear w. the Bolshoi. Since there is no mention of either Vasiliev or Osipova, can we assume that they will not be invited as guests for the NY engagement?

Additional information on the Lincoln Center Festival site: www.lincolncenterfestival.org

7 performances of Swan Lake from Tuesday, July 15 - Sunday, July 20

3 performances of Don Quixote on Tuesday, July 22 and 2 on Wednesday, July 23

3 performances of Spartacus on Friday, July 25, Saturday, July 26 and Sunday, July 27

All performances in the Koch Theater. No information about when tickets go on sale or ticket prices, but Friends of the Festival (minimum: $100) are supposed to get access before the public.

This could be subject to change, of course, but the site touts the participation of Svetlana Zakharova, David Hallberg, Ekaterina Shipulina, Vladislav Lantratov, Olga Smirnova, Ekaterina Krysanova, Mikhail Lobukhin, Ruslan Skvortsov and Maria Alexandrova, in that order. I certainly hope for the return of Alexandrova by then.

http://www.lincolncenterfestival.org/bolshoi-ballet-opera