This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013-14 season announcement

The Bolshoi Theater unveiled its plans for next season today. On the ballet front there will be new productions of Pierre Lacotte's Marco Spada in November, John Neumeier's The Lady of the Camellias in March and the world premiere Jean-Christophe Maillot's The Taming of the Shrew in July. There will also be a revival of Yuri Grigorovich's The Golden Age in January, though it hasn't exactly been absent from the repertoire. The company last performed the complete ballet in 2009, and in January 2012 a large chunk was performed at a gala celebrating Grigorovich's 85th birthday.

Planned tours include Swan Lake in Singapore on November 17-26, Lost Illusions in Paris on January 4-10, a gala concert in Tromsø on February 1-2, Giselle in Washington, DC, on May 18-25, and Swan Lake, Don Quixote and Spartacus (as well as a concert performance of The Tsar's Bride) in New York on July 12-28. There is also mention of a Japanese tour of Swan Lake, Don Quixote and La Bayadère in November and December, presumably of 2014.

In Moscow, in the meantime, the Paris Opera Ballet will perform Paquita in September, and the Royal Ballet will visit with Manon, Raven Girl and DGV while the Bolshoi is in New York.

The press release in Russian:

http://www.bolshoi.ru/r/6D5270C4-3317-476D-99FD-954604FE7251/plans-238.pdf

P.S. For interested opera fans, the Bolshoi Opera's new productions will include Der fliegende Holländer directed by Peter Konwitschny, Don Carlo directed by Adrian Noble, a double bill of Iolanta and Mavra directed by Irina Brown, a revival of The Tsar's Bride, and Così fan tutte directed by Floris Visser.

YEAH! We're getting the Bolshoi next summer in New York! Can't wait. I'm a little surprised by the rep, since they did Don Q and Spartacus during their last NY visit.

I notice that Osipiova and Vasiliev are reuniting with the Bolshoi during the Bolshoi's upcoming visit to London this summer.

I sure hope that if the Bolshoi invites O/V to reunite w. the company for the NY Tour, that their agent works it out in adance with ABT so that O/V can appear with both ABT and Bolshoi in NY. The non compete issue destroyed the Mik's planned visit to NY a few years ago.

On the conflict issue, I wonder if the Bolshoi will invite Hallberg for the summer NY performances, and if so, what will McKenzie do about that in terms of non compete issues.

YEAH! We're getting the Bolshoi next summer in New York! Can't wait. I'm a little surprised by the rep, since they did Don Q and Spartacus during their last NY visit.

I notice that Osipiova and Vasiliev are reuniting with the Bolshoi during the Bolshoi's upcoming visit to London this summer.

I sure hope that if the Bolshoi invites O/V to reunite w. the company for the NY Tour, that their agent works it out in adance with ABT so that O/V can appear with both ABT and Bolshoi in NY. The non compete issue destroyed the Mik's planned visit to NY a few years ago.

On the conflict issue, I wonder if the Bolshoi will invite Hallberg for the summer NY performances, and if so, what will McKenzie do about that in terms of non compete issues.

Does the non compete clause be still in effect even if the ABT season is over ?

Yes, my understanding is that the non compete has prohibited the dancer from performing in NYC during the ABT Met season, as well as several months prior to and after the Met season. It appears that ABT regularly gives waivers, but refused to give a waiver for the Mik tour for O/V to appear w. the Mik at the Koch. Here is a Time Out article from 2012 in which McKenzie says that the non compete prohibits ABT dancers from appearing with other companies for 3 months before and 3 months after the ABT season within a 100 mile radius of NY City.

http://www.timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/dance/15190196/kevin-mckenzie-american-ballet-theatre%e2%80%99s-artistic-director-interview

It could be an issue if ABT decides to program Swan Lake and/or Don Quixote. Then, for fear that audiences may opt for the Bolshoi production rather than ABT's, the non-compete clause may come into play. But, frankly, I think there would be a risk of audience defection regardless of casting.

But, frankly, I think there would be a risk of audience defection regardless of casting.

Absolutely. Especially, since the Bolshoi will be coming immediately after ABT's season at the Met ends. I can't imagine this would be happy news for McKenzie.

When POB came to NYC last summer and brought their Giselle, that didn't stop ABT from doing Giselle. Moreover, ABT knew well before it put out its schedule that POB would be bringing Giselle. The only adjustment was that ABT did Giselle during the first week of the Met season to put as much space as possible between its Giselle and the POB Giselle.

But, I would argue that ABT has a greater conflict of interest w/ the Bolshoi than with POB, given ABT's roster of Russian principals and guest stars and among those who did/still do perform with the Bolshoi. As most of us know, Russian dancers (and their companies) are huge box office draws for very good reasons (and has been discussed at length on this site), and not everyone can afford to see multiple performances (i.e. see ABT one week and the Bolshoi the next). Who knows if ABT is really doing SL next season or not, and what will prompt that decision (maybe they need to retire it for a few years so they can do some other full-lengths). I just don't think that how ABT scheduled its season when POB came to town is the same barometer that should be used to determine how they'll react to the Bolshoi's upcoming season.

Oh how sad - at least for us New Yorkers. If I remember correctly the last time the Bolshoi was in New York they gave us Don Q, Spartacus and I believe SL as well. I mean I get it. Those three ballets are beard and butter. First and foremost: money, money, money. Ballet maybe an art form but it's also a business. LOL!

I was hoping for La Bayadere. I've never seen a full-length Russian production live before. In fact I would have rather had the London rep altogether here in NY.

I would have loved to have seen Laurencia. From what I understand it's rarely performed in the west but in Russia it's appears to be very popular and from the small clips I've seen on YouTube it looks exciting.

All that said I can't wait for Bolshoi visit!!

Although the Bolshoi visit to NY in the summer of 2014 seemed like a "done deal" from reading the Bolshoi press release, today's NYTimes, in it's annual Season Preview issue, suggests that negotiations are still underway regarding the engagment. The Times states,

Lincoln Center is still discussing a Bolshoi season in New York. If that happens, the city may see two aspects of David Hallberg — dancing both with Ballet Theater and the Moscow troupe.

Although the Bolshoi visit to NY in the summer of 2014 seemed like a "done deal" from reading the Bolshoi press release, today's NYTimes, in it's annual Season Preview issue, suggests that negotiations are still underway regarding the engagment. The Times states,

Lincoln Center is still discussing a Bolshoi season in New York. If that happens, the city may see two aspects of David Hallberg — dancing both with Ballet Theater and the Moscow troupe.

I wonder if the non-compete clauses we have discussed elsewhere are an issue here -- not just for Hallberg, but also for Vasiliev and Osipova, who were guests with Bolshoi in their London season last month. As people no doubt remember, that was fatal in the planned Mikhailovsky season last year.

I wonder if the non-compete clauses we have discussed elsewhere are an issue here -- not just for Hallberg, but also for Vasiliev and Osipova, who were guests with Bolshoi in their London season last month. As people no doubt remember, that was fatal in the planned Mikhailovsky season last year.

The Bolshoi can sell tickets without any of those artists, though I'm sure the tour presenters would be happy to have them.

I rather suspect, too, that Osipova's contract with ABT may have changed since she is no longer a principal with the company (and in any renegotiation Ardani would presumably have been ultra conscious of the issue).

The Bolshoi can sell tickets without any of those artists, though I'm sure the tour presenters would be happy to have them.

I rather suspect, too, that Osipova's contract with ABT may have changed since she is no longer a principal with the company (and in any renegotiation Ardani would presumably have been ultra conscious of the issue).

Which leaves Hallberg...In his most recent article, Macauley at least entertains the possibility that he'll dance with both companies. As abatt noted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/arts/dance/british-ingenuity-delivered-by-americans.html?pagewanted=all

In his interview at the Kennedy Center yesterday, Hallberg said Osipova was his favorite partner. Both ABT and Bolshoi would no doubt love to feature that partnership next summer. As she is no longer a principal with either company and he is a principal with both, this could get very interesting!! Perhaps they could do R&J with ABT and Don Q with Bolshoi...but then what about Vasiliev?? (Earlier reports said the Bolshoi was planning to bring Don Q, Spartacus, and Swan Lake.)

It seems to me Bolshoi press release is not enough for NYT and it's waiting for announcement from LC to make it official. To read between the lines, I think NYT is trying to say "We can't really trust whatever Bolshoi has to say."

It seems to me Bolshoi press release is not enough for NYT and it's waiting for announcement from LC to make it official. To read between the lines, I think NYT is trying to say "We can't really trust whatever Bolshoi has to say."

This makes a lot of sense. For what it's worth (which might not be much!), the NY visit is still listed on the Bolshoi English-language site:

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/#tour1

The Saratoga Springs tour with DQ dates dovetail with the Met tour, an indication the Met tour will happen. I assume DQ won't be the closing program at the Met.

Apparently, NY Times knew something was not yet kosher about the NYC tour. Today, it reports the tour is far from certain.

Given that the Kennedy Center and SPAC engagements sound as if they are definite, and given the cancellation last year of the Mikhailovsky at Lincoln Center, one has to wonder if the ABT non-compete clause is involved again. Both Vasiliev and Hallberg are scheduled with ABT in June in ballets the Bolshoi says it is performing in New York (Don Quixote and Swan Lake, respectively).

Vasiliev did Don Q with the Bolshoi on October 4 & 6 with Ekaterina Krysanova. Hallberg did SL with Zakharova September 27.

Edited by California

Unlike the Mik, the Bolshoi has plenty of stars. Bolshoi can sell out the Met with SL and DQ with or without Hallberg and/or Vasiliev. (Spartacus isn't exactly an audience favorite, so that's going to be a tougher sell no matter who is cast.)I'm guessing this delay of signing contracts must somehow relate to money, not personnel. It's probably a negotiating maneuver by the Bolshoi.

If the Bolshoi doesn't end up coming to NYC, I seriously doubt that they will come to Saratoga.

I'm not sure that Hallberg would necessarily be a big draw in NYC for the Bolshoi anyway. When the Bolshoi visits NYC, a large segment of the audience, including many, many Russians, want to see Russian dancers who were trained at the Bolshoi, not Americans.