• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

The Bolshoi Theater unveiled its plans for next season today. On the ballet front there will be new productions of Pierre Lacotte's Marco Spada in November, John Neumeier's The Lady of the Camellias in March and the world premiere Jean-Christophe Maillot's The Taming of the Shrew in July. There will also be a revival of Yuri Grigorovich's The Golden Age in January, though it hasn't exactly been absent from the repertoire. The company last performed the complete ballet in 2009, and in January 2012 a large chunk was performed at a gala celebrating Grigorovich's 85th birthday.

Planned tours include Swan Lake in Singapore on November 17-26, Lost Illusions in Paris on January 4-10, a gala concert in Tromsø on February 1-2, Giselle in Washington, DC, on May 18-25, and Swan Lake, Don Quixote and Spartacus (as well as a concert performance of The Tsar's Bride) in New York on July 12-28. There is also mention of a Japanese tour of Swan Lake, Don Quixote and La Bayadère in November and December, presumably of 2014.

In Moscow, in the meantime, the Paris Opera Ballet will perform Paquita in September, and the Royal Ballet will visit with Manon, Raven Girl and DGV while the Bolshoi is in New York.

The press release in Russian:

http://www.bolshoi.r...1/plans-238.pdf

P.S. For interested opera fans, the Bolshoi Opera's new productions will include Der fliegende Holländer directed by Peter Konwitschny, Don Carlo directed by Adrian Noble, a double bill of Iolanta and Mavra directed by Irina Brown, a revival of The Tsar's Bride, and Così fan tutte directed by Floris Visser.

#2 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

YEAH!  We're getting the Bolshoi next summer in New York!  Can't wait. I'm a little surprised by the rep, since they did Don Q and Spartacus during their last NY visit.

I notice that Osipiova and Vasiliev are reuniting with the Bolshoi during the Bolshoi's upcoming visit to London this summer.

I sure hope that if the Bolshoi invites O/V to reunite w. the company for the NY Tour, that their agent works it out in adance with ABT so that O/V can appear with both ABT and Bolshoi in NY.  The non compete issue destroyed the Mik's planned visit to NY a few years ago. 

On the conflict issue, I wonder if the Bolshoi will invite Hallberg for the summer NY performances, and if so, what will McKenzie do about that in terms of non compete issues.

#3 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

YEAH!  We're getting the Bolshoi next summer in New York!  Can't wait. I'm a little surprised by the rep, since they did Don Q and Spartacus during their last NY visit.

I notice that Osipiova and Vasiliev are reuniting with the Bolshoi during the Bolshoi's upcoming visit to London this summer.

I sure hope that if the Bolshoi invites O/V to reunite w. the company for the NY Tour, that their agent works it out in adance with ABT so that O/V can appear with both ABT and Bolshoi in NY.  The non compete issue destroyed the Mik's planned visit to NY a few years ago. 

On the conflict issue, I wonder if the Bolshoi will invite Hallberg for the summer NY performances, and if so, what will McKenzie do about that in terms of non compete issues.

Does the non compete clause be still in effect even if the ABT season is over ?

#4 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Yes, my understanding is that the non compete has prohibited the dancer from performing in NYC during the ABT Met season, as well as several months prior to and after the Met season.  It appears that ABT regularly gives waivers, but refused to give a waiver for the Mik tour for O/V to appear w. the Mik at the Koch.  Here is a Time Out article from 2012 in which McKenzie says that the non compete prohibits ABT dancers from appearing with other companies for 3 months before and 3 months after the ABT season within a 100 mile radius of NY City.

http://www.timeoutch...ector-interview

#5 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

It could be an issue if ABT decides to program Swan Lake and/or Don Quixote. Then, for fear that audiences may opt for the Bolshoi production rather than ABT's, the non-compete clause may come into play. But, frankly, I think there would be a risk of audience defection regardless of casting.

#6 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

But, frankly, I think there would be a risk of audience defection regardless of casting.

Absolutely.  Especially, since the Bolshoi will be coming immediately after ABT's season at the Met ends.  I can't imagine this would be happy news for McKenzie.

#7 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

This Bolshoi tour may explain why Swan Lake is not among Mussel's 'prediction list' of full-lengths on ABT's MET schedule next summer.

#8 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

When POB came to NYC last summer and brought their Giselle, that didn't stop ABT from doing Giselle.  Moreover, ABT knew well before it put out its schedule that POB would be bringing Giselle.  The only adjustment was that ABT did Giselle during the first week of the Met season to put as much space as possible between its Giselle and the POB Giselle.

#9 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

But, I would argue that ABT has a greater conflict of interest w/ the Bolshoi than with POB, given ABT's roster of Russian principals and guest stars and among those who did/still do perform with the Bolshoi.  As most of us know, Russian dancers (and their companies) are huge box office draws for very good reasons (and has been discussed at length on this site), and not everyone can afford to see multiple performances (i.e. see ABT one week and the Bolshoi the next).  Who knows if ABT is really doing SL next season or not, and what will prompt that decision (maybe they need to retire it for a few years so they can do some other full-lengths). I just don't think that how ABT scheduled its season when POB came to town is the same barometer that should be used to determine how they'll react to the Bolshoi's upcoming season.

#10 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

The press release now in English: http://www.bolshoi.r...son-238-eng.pdf

The DC & NY tour is on page 8.

#11 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Oh how sad - at least for us New Yorkers. If I remember correctly the last time the Bolshoi was in New York they gave us Don Q, Spartacus and I believe SL as well. I mean I get it. Those three ballets are beard and butter. First and foremost: money, money, money. Ballet maybe an art form but it's also a business. LOL!

I was hoping for La Bayadere. I've never seen a full-length Russian production live before. In fact I would have rather had the London rep altogether here in NY.

I would have loved to have seen Laurencia. From what I understand it's rarely performed in the west but in Russia it's appears to be very popular and from the small clips I've seen on YouTube it looks exciting.

All that said I can't wait for Bolshoi visit!!

#12 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Actually, if memory serves the Bolshoi did not bring SL to New York during their last visit.  They brought Don Q. Bright Stream, Spartacus and the Pharaoh's Daughter.

#13 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Actually, if memory serves the Bolshoi did not bring SL to New York during their last visit.  They brought Don Q. Bright Stream, Spartacus and the Pharaoh's Daughter.

That's right - correct. I wasn't sure about SL. Thanks for reminding me.

#14 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

Although the Bolshoi visit to NY in the summer of 2014 seemed like a "done deal" from reading the Bolshoi press release, today's NYTimes, in it's annual Season Preview issue, suggests that negotiations are still underway regarding the engagment. The Times states,

Lincoln Center is still discussing a Bolshoi season in New York. If that happens, the city may see two aspects of David Hallberg — dancing both with Ballet Theater and the Moscow troupe.

#15 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

Although the Bolshoi visit to NY in the summer of 2014 seemed like a "done deal" from reading the Bolshoi press release, today's NYTimes, in it's annual Season Preview issue, suggests that negotiations are still underway regarding the engagment. The Times states,

Lincoln Center is still discussing a Bolshoi season in New York. If that happens, the city may see two aspects of David Hallberg — dancing both with Ballet Theater and the Moscow troupe.

I wonder if the non-compete clauses we have discussed elsewhere are an issue here -- not just for Hallberg, but also for Vasiliev and Osipova, who were guests with Bolshoi in their London season last month. As people no doubt remember, that was fatal in the planned Mikhailovsky season last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):