This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Saturday, June 15

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

Edward Villella will be the guest of honor at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center's Ruby Ball.

Villella also made history at SPAC in 1998 when, as artistic director, he brought the Miami City Ballet to the venue, making it the first ballet company other than NYCB ever to perform at SPAC.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

An interview with Leanne Benjamin by Laura Thompson in The Guardian.

t was Kenneth MacMillan – whom Benjamin calls ‘my mentor’ – who lured her to Covent Garden in 1992. She had worked with him during an unfulfilling period at Berlin’s Deutsche Oper Ballet. ‘Kenneth walked in, and he changed my life. He saw potential. Something in my head and my heart. He could see beneath the skin – that’s why he was such a great choreographer.’

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

A review of Lucy Moore's biography of Nijinsky  by Julie Kavanagh in The Spectator.

In the eight decades since that book’s publication, Nijinsky’s life has been retold in numerous biographies, films, plays and radio and television adaptations. Now, pegged to the centenary of the Rite of Spring, we have Nijinsky by Lucy Moore. With no new material, this is not a book for the cognoscenti, but an aggregate of everything written to date. If Richard Buckle had the authority Moore lacks, as well as access to first-hand sources, his fixation on Diaghilev, the subject of his following biography, led to constant digressions, while Nijinsky disappeared under a welter of names and social history.

Moore keeps her subject centre stage, and writes a compelling, well-researched narrative. And yet the book could have been so much better.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):