Is Paloma too tall for Herman?

I would say she is.

#17 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

It's too bad there isn't more flexibility in terms of who Cornejo and Simkin can partner, but this may be helped by the additional principal roles which will hopefully be offered to Lane and Boylston. 

And what about Stella Abrera? Where does she fall height-wise? Ought she not also be promoted to principal status?

#18 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Paloma is very tall for Herman.

I wouldnt call osipova "very short" at all. She is taller than Reyes, I dont think Herman can handle Osipova in Don Q or Corsaire, for example.

I wouldn't call Whiteside tall either, he is more mid-heigh like Angel, but he seems to be a very good partner, it looks like he can easily handle Murphy, Herrera and prob Kent too, although at this point Kent only dances with either Bolle or Gomes.

Part and Semionova are the ones in a different league, they can only dance with Gomes/Bolle/Stearns. After seeing Semionova/Hallberg like three times, I really wish they stop this partnership, they are both gorgeous but she is way too much of a woman for him. He can partner  Zhakarova, but Semionova (and Part too) are not the super skinny type of SZ.

The problem is a little aggravated because Gomes and Bolle are claimed by the Vishneva and Kent all the time, so there is less chance for the other two ballerinas to dance with them (luckily for Part, neither of them is dancing SB, so she finally got Gomes !!!)

#19 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Paloma is very tall for Herman.

I wouldnt call osipova "very short" at all. She is taller than Reyes, I dont think Herman can handle Osipova in Don Q or Corsaire, for example.

I wouldn't call Whiteside tall either, he is more mid-heigh like Angel, but he seems to be a very good partner, it looks like he can easily handle Murphy, Herrera and prob Kent too, although at this point Kent only dances with either Bolle or Gomes.

Part and Semionova are the ones in a different league, they can only dance with Gomes/Bolle/Stearns. After seeing Semionova/Hallberg like three times, I really wish they stop this partnership, they are both gorgeous but she is way too much of a woman for him. He can partner  Zhakarova, but Semionova (and Part too) are not the super skinny type of SZ.

The problem is a little aggravated because Gomes and Bolle are claimed by the Vishneva and Kent all the time, so there is less chance for the other two ballerinas to dance with them (luckily for Part, neither of them is dancing SB, so she finally got Gomes !!!)

I generally agree with your assessment (especially the last bit), but would disagree on Whiteside's height. He isn't very tall (like Bolle) but he is considerably taller than Corella and partnered Part quite well in Don Q (I know it was reported there were awkwardnesses, but I didn't see them, I thought he partnered her very well).

#20 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

actually you are right :) 

i didn't see them (Sadly) but it looks like he partnered her well.

I just saw him in the theater next to me last week, and he seemed right the same height than Angel, but I may be wrong. (He just  seems shorter than Gomes, Bolle and Stearns). I am not a big fan of him, but I was very impressed with the level of attention he paid to Murphy in their SL.

Some dancers can really excel at that, Angel was one of them, he even partnered Tereshkina in SL, and she is really tall.

#21 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Herman danced "La Sylphide" with Osipova and they looked fine together.  But a lot of Bournonville is the ballerina and premier danseur dancing side by side - not as many lifts or promenades.  I think Paloma fits the category of mid-height ballerinas who often prefer tall partners with Murphy, Vishneva and Kent.  Herrera in her early ABT career was partnered with Angel Corella but eventually she was more often paired with Carreno, Gomes or Stiefel.  Stiefel and Carreno were mid-height and Corella a little below that.  I felt that Murphy looked too mature and womanly and slightly too tall when dancing with Corella.  Corella and Cojocaru were perfect together but only danced Giselle together at ABT.  Corella never consistently found the perfect partner at ABT - unlike Bocca/Ferri, Vishneva/Malakhov or Vishneva/Gomes, Ballerina-Fill-In-the-Blank/Gomes.

Now with Malakhov, Stiefel, Corella and Carreno retired, ABT lacks a mid-height or a little taller male principal.  They have got very tall men like Gomes, Hallberg, Bolle, Stearns and Hammoudi.  And then the short guys like Simkin, Cornejo, Vasiliev, Salstein, etc.  Denis Matvienko is a little above middle height and partners well with Murphy.

#22 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

Cornejo is an exceptional talent, one of the finest male dancers in the world today (if not by common consensus then at least close to it): I believe it would have been a huge mistake not to promote him to principal and work with his distinctive qualities, including his height. In that context, I have been a little puzzled why Lane has not been given more opportunities, but in any case Reyes and more recently Cojocaru and Osipova have been plausible partners for him in various roles.  (I saw him with Osipova in Firebird when she replaced Copeland.)

My one NY ballet trip this spring is to see Sylvia--I love Ashton--and I was especially excited to see the Osipova-Cornejo cast. Thought this could be a fabulous role for Osipva and am very, very disappointed that it looks as if she may not dance it at all. (I have tickets for Thursday and Saturday, but gather Saturday is doubtful.) But I also have been very much looking forward to seeing Cornejo and am grateful Reyes is willing to make her debut in the role, a major one, under these circumstances. It must be disconcerting to do so with only last minute preparation. I would be really crushed to miss Osipova AND Cornejo.

#23 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

It's too bad there isn't more flexibility in terms of who Cornejo and Simkin can partner, but this may be helped by the additional principal roles which will hopefully be offered to Lane and Boylston. 

And what about Stella Abrera? Where does she fall height-wise? Ought she not also be promoted to principal status?

Her willowy physique makes her seem tall, but I think she may actually be more along the lines of Murphy or Herrera or perhaps slightly taller (not sure).When they pair her with Radetsky she always seems a tad too tall for him. Abrera was one of the dancers I was immediately drawn to when I first began attending ABT performances and the quality of her dancing has been outstanding--consistently musical, lyrical, and simply a pleasure to watch. Unfortunately I feel as if they are no longer testing her out for principal roles, as they had several years ago when she was assigned Cinderella and a couple Giselles (though the latter never took place due to injuries). 

I've always been curious to see how she would fare in a full-length classical ballet or as MacMillan's Juliet or Manon. Unfortunately her New York-based fans have never had the opportunity to experience this, though I'm always thrilled to see her as the Lilac Fairy, Mercedes, or Myrtha. 

In looking at the bios of ABT principals, it's interesting that virtually all of them were promoted from soloist to principal within a span of two to four years. Veronika Part had to wait seven years to be promoted from soloist to principal, which seemed like a very long time. Abrera became a soloist in 2001, so I'm not optimistic that she will get her shot, but you never know. Saveliev occasionally danced principal roles in his decade-long career as soloist with ABT, so perhaps Abrera could be afforded the same opportunities, even if she doesn't get a promotion?

#24 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

Her willowy physique makes her seem tall, but I think she may actually be more along the lines of Murphy or Herrera or perhaps slightly taller (not sure).When they pair her with Radetsky she always seems a tad too tall for him. Abrera was one of the dancers I was immediately drawn to when I first began attending ABT performances and the quality of her dancing has been outstanding--consistently musical, lyrical, and simply a pleasure to watch. Unfortunately I feel as if they are no longer testing her out for principal roles, as they had several years ago when she was assigned Cinderella and a couple Giselles (though the latter never took place due to injuries). 

I've always been curious to see how she would fair in a full-length classical ballet or as MacMillan's Juliet or Manon. Unfortunately her New York-based fans have never had the opportunity to experience this, though I'm always thrilled to see her as the Lilac Fairy, Mercedes, or Myrtha. 

In looking at the bios of ABT principals, it's interesting that virtually all of them were promoted from soloist to principal within a span of two to four years. Veronika Part had to wait seven years to be promoted from soloist to principal, which seemed like a very long time. Abrera became a soloist in 2001, so I'm not optimistic that she will get her shot, but you never know. Savaliev occasionally danced principal roles in his decade-long career as soloist with ABT, so perhaps Abrera could be afforded the same opportunities, even if she doesn't get a promotion?

I agree with you completely about Stella Abrera. I remember those cancelled Giselles and how bad I felt for her. It seems that she has fully recovered from her injuries, as evidenced by her having danced 10 Auroras in 30 days with the Royal Ballet of New Zealand last fall. It seems heartless on the part of ABT to deprive her of the opportunity to dance leading roles and to deny her promotion when she always performs so exquisitely. I would so much like to know the reason why this isn't happening. I'm guessing that ABT will perform Giselle again in its 2014 New York season. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see Stella dance the title role--she has so many fans in New York, who would come out in droves.

#25 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Very short female soloists: Lane, Boylston

While Sarah Lane is 5'2", Isabella Boylston is 5'5" - not "very short" at all!

#26 Batsuchan

Batsuchan

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Wow wow WOW!!  Semionova and Bolle should dance EVERYTHING together!!!  Talk abut two PERFECT ballet physiques!!  And the mythological setting seemed totally appropriate--clearly we were in the land of gods and goddesses with these two leads!! :)

I saw "Sylvia" last night with Murphy and Gomes, and while I thought they danced very admirably (and partnered very well), I wasn't sure I would be able to sit through two more performances of the ballet.  The plot is pitiful, and the score is not too my liking (it does nothing for me, as opposed to the "Swan Lake" score), and though the costumes are beautiful and the set is impressive, I found the whole thing quite boring.

But what a difference a day makes!  I thought that Semionova and Bolle were absolutely wonderful! 

My friend (who admittedly only has seen a handful of performances) called it the best ballet she's seen so far. 

I really enjoyed Semionova as Sylvia.  In the initial scene, I thought that perhaps she lacked a little bit of the imperious Amazonian spirit that Murphy had, but oh! the beauty of her long limbs in those many grand jetes and the gorgeous curve of her arabesque!  Her absolute (and seemingly effortless) command of her technique were on full display tonight.  But more than that, she seemed more emotionally engaged than perhaps I've seen her all season.

And I think that had to do a lot with Bolle!  (It must be easy to pretend to be in love with him!!)  For once, Semionova didn't have to worry about straining her partner and could really dance full-out.  I thought she looked more free and happy than I've ever seen her--she was positively glowing.

Previously, I thought that Hallberg was a good match for her since they're both so tall, slim and long-limbed, but I was wrong!  Bolle is tall and gorgeous, and I thought they looked absolutely fabulous together!!  I really hope to see her dance with him more--I bet I would really love her in "Romeo & Juliet," for example, if she could dance with Bolle!

I thought Bolle danced wonderfully tonight (though there is not much dancing for Aminta).  I also feel that the character sits a little bit more naturally on him than on Gomes.  I feel like Gomes wishes there was more of a character arc for Aminta, but he's pretty one-dimensional, whereas I feel like Bolle can more easily adopt the attitude of "I'm gorgeous, and I love you, and that's all that really matters."

I liked Cory Stearns as Orion last night, and Jared Matthews was quite good too.  When I initially saw the casting, I wondered how Matthews would handle partnering Semionova, but he didn't seem to have any difficulty lifting her at all.  (Though I do feel that this is a reflection of Semionova's rock-solid technique--she looked like she could basically partner herself and needed very little help.)

And as always, it was a pleasure to see Joseph Gorak (who danced as one of the goats alongside Sarah Lane). He definitely needs to be promoted ASAP!

Can't wait to see this cast again on Friday. Bravo!!

#27 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:36 AM

the score is not too my liking (it does nothing for me, as opposed to the "Swan Lake" score)

That's too bad.  I find the score to be quite charming -- if not in comparison to Tchaikovsky, then at least in comparison to the other typical ballet alternatives (Minkus oom-pah-pahs, etc).

#28 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

casting update for today, June 26 from ABT:
<<

There has been a cast change for the matinee of Sylvia today, Wednesday, June 26.  Cory Stearns is injured and Marcelo Gomes will replace him in the role of Aminta.

>>

#29 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

the score is not too my liking (it does nothing for me, as opposed to the "Swan Lake" score)

That's too bad.  I find the score to be quite charming -- if not in comparison to Tchaikovsky, then at least in comparison to the other typical ballet alternatives (Minkus oom-pah-pahs, etc).

I also love Sylvia's score, maybe one of the best scores for ballet! 

#30 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

casting update for today, June 26 from ABT:
<<

There has been a cast change for the matinee of Sylvia today, Wednesday, June 26.  Cory Stearns is injured and Marcelo Gomes will replace him in the role of Aminta.

>>

Veronika and Marcelo....Together again.yahoo.gif toot.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):