• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

The TDF site has $31 tickets for both performances of Sylvia on Wednesday, June 26. I don't know if that means cheap tickets are also for sale at the Atrium, but it might be worth checking.

#2 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

Romeo and Juliet has been 50% off at TKTS Wednesday, Thursday, and tonight.

#3 Rick

Rick

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Which is the best cast for Sylvia? I've never seen it and also don't know Ashton that well, though I liked his R&J and Month in the Country.

#4 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

I think the ballerina has to be the deciding factor in this ballet. Murphy is fabulous as Sylvia and if you are seeing the ballet for the first time, I strongly recommend you see her.

Basically if ABT holds to its standard in this ballet --which they have danced with great beauty and joy in the past--you can't really go too wrong. I myself am coming to NY especially to see some of the debuts by various Russian-trained ballerinas. I'm looking forward to it, but debuts--especially of non-Ashton dancers dancing Ashton--are decidedly unpredictable.

I haven't seen the Ashton R&J, but much more than A Month in the Country, Sylvia is very explicitly playing with and against the traditions of nineteenth-century full-length ballets--infusing them with Ashton's lyrical, witty, pastoral qualities.

#5 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

the following has been sent out by ABT's press office:

<<Natalia Osipova is injured and will not be dancing on Thursday.  She will be replaced by Xiomara Reyes.  Herman Cornejo and Ivan Vasiliev are still scheduled to perform.>>

#6 NinaFan

NinaFan

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

the following has been sent out by ABT's press office:

<<Natalia Osipova is injured and will not be dancing on Thursday.  She will be replaced by Xiomara Reyes.  Herman Cornejo and Ivan Vasiliev are still scheduled to perform.>>

Oh nooooo!  I am so sorry to hear that Natalia is injured.   Do you know what is going on with her Saturday night Sylvia?  ABT's performance calendar has replaced her with Reyes on Thursday, but as of now, they still Osipova dancing on Saturday night.  Thank you!

#7 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

word at the theater tonight merely said that Osipova has not now cancelled Sat. eve.

#8 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

At the Friends dress rehearsal Monday afternoon, we got a printed program that said Osipova, Cornejo, Vasiliev, and Salstein would be rehearsing Act III. Instead, we saw Reyes and Cornejo in practice clothes in the far back corner running through a PdD, with plenty of other dancers out front doing various practice elements. Reyes also practiced some solos in practice clothes to the orchestra accompaniment. There were so many dancers on stage at that point, I couldn't tell if Vasiliev was there or not. Part, Semionova, Herrera were all there in costume at least for one of the acts.

#9 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

I think the ballerina has to be the deciding factor in this ballet. Murphy is fabulous as Sylvia and if you are seeing the ballet for the first time, I strongly recommend you see her.

I agree. I saw Murphy and Gomes Monday night. Both are great, individually and as partners, in this ballet. They repeat at the Saturday matinee, which I would recommend if you can only see one.

#10 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

Murphy was fantastic last night.  This is one of her best roles.

Regarding Reyes, has she ever performed Sylvia, or will Thursday be her debut?

On a separate note, Boylston was replaced last night in a minor role (Persephone).  Now Boylston is someone who I would be interested in seeing as Sylvia, but I guess that won't happen this season.

Herman has had a run of bad luck in the partner department.  First Cojocaru cancels out, requiring ABT to go and hire a ballerina short enough to take over Cojocaru's roles.  Now Osipova has cancelled, requring Reyes to step into a role she was never scheduled to dance.  These problems highlight the difficulties presented by using a short male principal.  One of the other ballerinas scheduled to do the role cannot just step in and add a performance to her schedule, because they are all too tall for Herman.  I like Herman very much, and I'm glad he has so many opportunities with ABT.  However, the casting issues are apparent.

#11 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

Murphy was fantastic last night.  This is one of her best roles.

Regarding Reyes, has she ever performed Sylvia, or will Thursday be her debut?

On a separate note, Boylston was replaced last night in a minor role (Persephone).  Now Boylston is someone who I would be interested in seeing as Sylvia, but I guess that won't happen this season.

Herman has had a run of bad luck in the partner department.  First Cojocaru cancels out, requiring ABT to go and hire a ballerina short enough to take over Cojocaru's roles.  Now Osipova has cancelled, requring Reyes to step into a role she was never scheduled to dance.  These problems highlight the difficulties presented by using a short male principal.  One of the other ballerinas scheduled to do the role cannot just step in and add a performance to her schedule, because they are all too tall for Herman.  I like Herman very much, and I'm glad he has so many opportunities with ABT.  However, the casting issues are apparent.

This will be Xiomara's debut in this role.

#12 Moonlily

Moonlily

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

Some of the problems with casting when it comes to Herman Cornejo could be solved if shorter soloists like Sarah Lane were prepared to dance the respective role as well. Or not limit the role to taller ballerinas, add more variety to the cast.

#13 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Whenever you are a very tall female dancer or short male dancer, I think you are going to run into these casting change problems. A few years ago there weren't enough tall male dancers to go around, and Gomes had to dance like crazy when Bolle or another tall male dancer would pull out. ABT has clearly worked to bolster their roster of tall male dancers:

Tall female principals requiring tall partners: Part, Semionova

Tall male principals who almost always partner tall dancers: Bolle, Stearns

Tall male principals who often partner both tall and mid-height dancers: Gomes, Hallberg

Tall male soloists who often dance principal roles: Hammoudi, Whiteside

If you look at the mid-height and short dancers, I think what is interesting is that there are quite a few short or mid-height female dancers (Kent, Seo, Vishneva, Osipova) who are often paired with tall dancers like Gomes or Hallberg. Perhaps in the past they would have been paired with dancers like Corella or Carreno, but the company doesn't currently have those sort of versatile, mid-height male principals at the moment. I know Corella was on the short side, but he was versatile in that he could dance with Herrera and Murphy. Jared Matthews comes to mind as someone who might fill this sort of role, if he were given more partnering opportunities.

Mid-height female principals who often prefer tall partners: Kent, Seo, Vishneva

Mid-height female principals who require someone at least as tall as Corella, but ideally someone a bit taller: Murphy, Herrera

Mid-height male principal dancers: ??

Short male prinicipal dancers who require very short female dancers: Cornejo, Simkin, Vasiliev

Very short female principal dancers: Reyes, Osipova 

Very short female soloists: Lane, Boylston

It's too bad there isn't more flexibility in terms of who Cornejo and Simkin can partner, but this may be helped by the additional principal roles which will hopefully be offered to Lane and Boylston. 

#14 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Some of the problems with casting when it comes to Herman Cornejo could be solved if shorter soloists like Sarah Lane were prepared to dance the respective role as well.

I couldn't agree more.  Lane has danced w/ Cornejo before so she could have filled in.  Also, Boylston is the right size, and like abatt, I agree that it would be great to see her in this role.  But, if she was replaced in a minor role last night, she might be injured so that of course would take her out of contention.

#15 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Is Paloma too tall for Herman?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):