11 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

The Pacific Northwest Ballet School's annual performance takes place this weekend.

So what, you say, that 20-odd little girls (and the occasional boy) know how to wave their arms to music. Oh, but that’s just the start. The Level II students follow the Level Is to the stage. These more advanced dancers are starting to explore space, not just occupy it. And their pleasure in doing so is enough to squeeze tears from a stone. The wonders continue through performances by Levels III, IV, V, VI and VII. In the course of an hour or so you experience the birth of a dancer, see the art of ballet evolve from literal baby-steps to virtual flight.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Pavel Dmitrichenko will be held until mid-August, authorities say.

At a dramatic court session, the suspected perpetrator, unemployed ex-convict Yury Zarutsky, claimed that he carried out the attack alone and used urine.

"I didn't intend to cause harm to health. I wanted to humiliate him. It was not sulphuric acid but battery fluid and I added in urine," he said, quoted by the Interfax news agency.

Dmitrichenko would also like to have a sit-down with Sergei Filin.

Ask Zarutsky why he did it," he said. "We are not seeing each other because we are being kept apart. Meanwhile, a man who lost his vision is giving interviews. I would very much like to meet Sergei Filin in person."

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Q&A with Leanne Benjamin.

You seem a very well-balanced person. Some performers need to complete themselves psychologically in a way by being on stage.

No, I don't approach it like that at all. My parents told me I could be whoever I wanted to be, and I think that was it. I really came from nowhere, the back of beyond in Queensland, and so I always had a hunger to do well. I think it was also our upbringing - everyone in my family is an achiever. My parents fed us a lot with encouragement to get on and do things, and not give up. As a kid I went to ballet at 6.30 in the morning, then I went to school, then I went back to ballet, then I did my homework, and then I did my piano and singing after dinner. You got up and you worked hard. It was when I started doing competitions that I got the bug and thought, ooh, I could make some money!

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

The latest entry in Sara Mearns' video blog, "Barre None."

Who would have thought a year ago I would be in a studio working with puppeteers, world class musicians, conductors, dancers, filmmakers, photographers, choreographers, and a director that not only has done operas, but also does sculptures, theater, and architecture? This is the definition of an artist collaboration. How is it possible that this will all come together seamlessly? There isn't a guarantee any of it will work but one thing we know is this type of project has never been done before.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

An updated on the latest arrivals from Cuba.

Now they are trying to determine their next steps. They arrived after ballet company auditions for next season had already taken place, and arts organizations around the country are grappling with tight budgets.

Just one of the ballerinas has signed a performance contract.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

A review of the English National Ballet  in 'Swan Lake' by Sam Smith for Londonist.

Matthew Golding, a guest artist making his role debut as Prince Siegfried, is equally strong. He is not necessarily a flashy dancer, but the smooth, rounded nature of his precise movements have their own impact as he cuts through the air with an almost ’slow motion’ delicacy. It is also pleasing to see the evil Baron von Rothbart played by a dancer (James Streeter) at the height of his game, despite it being predominantly a character role, while Nancy Osbaldeston and Yonah Acosta excel in Act Three’s Neapolitan Dance.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

A review of American Ballet Theatre in 'Le Corsaire' by Carol Pardo for danceviewtimes.

Matvienko’s dancing did not show the authority needed for a classical hero until his last solo, when the triumphant Conrad has rescued his beloved for the final time. But from the first moment, his mime was elegant, musical and clear. And he knows how to lead a woman on stage as though she is the most beautiful thing he has ever beheld. Like McRae, Matvienko told the story by his reactions to it.

This was particularly necessary because Murphy didn’t react to him at her first entrance. When she’s carried onstage, Medora should glow with the rapture of love at first sight from up high on her litter. No such luck........

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

The Hyde Park School of Dance  celebrates its twentieth anniversary with two weekend concerts.

.....Members of the Joffrey Ballet, Joel Hall Dancers and Deeply Rooted Dance Theater are among those joining HPSD for “En Avant,” which means moving forward.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

The design firm WET  creates fog effects for a performance by LINES Ballet and Hubbard Street Dance Chicago.

The first of "Azimuth's" nine sections leads with Doyle's cone-shaped fog effect, which rises with the curtain as the dancers twirl in its midst.

The effect is ethereal, says Doyle, who thinks of fog almost as a paintbrush. Working with King as well as "Azimuth" lighting designer Axel Morgenthaler, it took Doyle about four weeks to create the effect, including the parts that were discarded.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

Carolina Ballet Theatre's Summerworks program for students finishes up with a performance this month.

The June 28 performance will feature excerpts from the ballet “Raymonda” in the first half, followed by CBT artistic director Hernan Justo’s new ballet “Prelude for a Farewell.” Also included will be choreography by CBT principal dancers Francesca Genovese, Madeline Jazz and Matthew Harvey.

In the course of the Summerworks program, about 40 students, ranging in age from 11 to 19, work with CBT staff and the ensemble’s nine professional dancers.

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

A letter to the editor of The Washington Post takes issue with a Sarah Kaufman review of Ballet Across America.

But, contrary to Kaufman’s view, Washington Ballet followed with an explosion of energy and passion in Edwaard Liang’s “Wunderland,” masterfully danced with difficult, complicated and graceful lifts that thrilled the usually stuffy Kennedy Center audience. The reward was a thunderous standing ovation.

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

Irina Dvorovenko and Maxim Beloserkovsky appear at the Greenwich Ballet Academy graduation gala.

Two shows, a 2 p.m. matinee and a 7 p.m. evening performance, will be held at the Massey Theater of the Wallace Performing Arts Center at Greenwich Academy. Excerpts from La Bayadère and Divertissements will feature all GBA students.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):