• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

Who should be promoted at the end of this season? Based on their performances this Met season, i would say, Joseph Gorak and Christine Shevchenko deserved a promotion.

#2 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Skylar Brandt.

#3 bad feet

bad feet

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

Look out for Leann Underwood, she has been injured but is now back on form and I believe is to dance the Lilac Fairy in one of the coming SB's

#4 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:33 AM

Angelica, thank you for mentioning Skylar Brandt.  She was the first odalisque (is that the name?) at the June 8th matinee of Le Corsaire and she was just wonderful.  I would love to see her promoted to soloist.

#5 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

My vote is for Joseph Gorak, Eric Tamm (long overdue) and Christine Shevchenko.

#6 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

I cannot believe Tamm is still in the corps - he should be promoted asap simply based on how well he's done in the numerous soloist roles he's been dancing for the past couple of seasons.

In terms of pure talent I would say Gorak, but he's still young so they may not be ready to promote him. Among the men I really like Thomas Forster. He's a big, tall guy with great technique, beautiful line and a quality that just makes you want to watch him. Joseph Phillips is another one who may be ready for a promotion.

Among the women - Shevchenko did well stepping in for Murphy but I'm still not convinced plus she hasn't had many featured roles. I love Underwood, but she's just back from a long injury so it may be too soon for her. We'll have to see how her Lilac Fairy goes. Other than that, there are lots of lovely dancers in the corps like Gemma Bond, Devon Teuscher, Katherine Williams and Renata Pavam - but none of them really jump out at me as being ready for a soloist spot.

#7 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

Gorak and Brandt, absolutely.

#8 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

Does ABT have anything like a pension benefit and, if so, after how many years? That might affect a dancer's decision about whether to stay or move on.

#9 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

I agree with the names already mentioned, but I want to add Arron Scott.  I saw him as Mercutio yesterday afternoon in 'Romeo and Juliet' and he was just fantastic - really exciting dancing and wonderful acting. 

#10 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

For corps promotions, I'm on the Skylar Brandt-Joseph Gorak bandwagon. 

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

[Admin beanie on]

When there is official news about the comings, goings, and promotions of dancers, it can be published here. Until then, do not post speculation, and that includes about who those dancers are if there's official news about x number of promotions/comings/goings. That's what PM is for.

It is perfectly fine to discuss whom you think deserves a promotion or will be based on casting, excellence, etc.

As always, if you have a problem with a post, that's what the "Report" button is for.

[Admin beanie off]

#12 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

ABT dancers definitely have all kind of union benefits, including pension benefits.  That certainly does impact all kinds of decisions that dancers make, including whether to look for employment elsewhere, and whether and when to retire.  I don't know the specifics about how many years of service you have to have before your pension fully vests.

#13 Nyankeesy01

Nyankeesy01

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

Time Out NY has an interview with Simone Messmer - she's leaving for SF Ballet. I read it in the issue so don't have a link yet.

#14 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

Here's the link to Simone Messmer's interview, this is a very good read and I admire her for her bravery.

http://www.timeout.c...e?intcid=leader

#15 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Has there ever been a time in ABT's history when the company was so top heavy with foreign / visiting guest artists?  I know the legendary 1970's included Martine Van Hamel (Dutch-Canadian), Mikhail Baryshnakov (USSR), Natalia Makarova (USSR) and a few others.  But the company still had many Americans.  

Simone Messmer may be explaining her own truth - how she has experienced ABT.  But I doubt we'll ever get Kevin McKenzie's side of the story.  He, after all, was an American who was promoted through the ranks of ABT.  

How much of this is determined by money?  The nights with Ms Osipova and Ms Cojucaru seem to be sell outs.  But are they selling out for Julie Kent or Gillian Murphy?  Maybe the problem is the lack of good marketing for American dancers, to make them stars in their own countries? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):