This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi premiere of Cranko's "Onegin"

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#91 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Male casting for the forthcoming run of Onegin has been shuffled. Wieslaw Dudek of the Staatsballett Berlin will appear as Onegin opposite Evgenia Obraztsova. Artem Ovcharenko takes over Dmitry Gudanov's performance as Lensky, and Ivan Alexeyev goes into Ovcharenko's original spot.

Oct 10, 12e - Smirnova, Lantratov, Tikhomirova, Chudin, Biktimirov

Oct 11 - Obraztsova, Dudek, Stashkevich, Ovcharenko, Vodopetov

Oct 12m - Kretova, Skvortsov, Khokhlova, Alexeyev, Khromushin

#92 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

Yesterday I took the bullet train from St. Petersburg to Moscow and saw Onegin and returned to SP on a sleeping train.

I have seen the premiere cast of the Bolshoi's Onegin (but not actually in person), and a friend had told me the cast I was getting in person was not the best. But I still enjoyed it very much as a first in person Bolshoi experience.

Onegin: Denis Rodkin
Lensky: Artemiy Belyakov
Tatiana: Anastasia Goryacheva
Olga: MariaVinogradova

Rodkin was miles behind Lantratov in his interpretation as well as actual dancing. To me he did not command the stage as well and did not express his inner angst in his first solo (Lantratov makes the most of putting the back of his hand to his forehead).

However, his reactions to Lensky slapping him with the glove was very good!

Goryacheva was sympathetic as Tatiana but just not quite as moving as Olga Smirnova.

Maria Vinogradova made an excellent Olga. This role is easy to overdo and seem too silly but she did not overdo it.

Overall a nice night at the Bolshoi even though the casting was not first tier.

The Bolshoi looks like a brand new (newly built ) theatre on the inside...sparkling, shiny, modern conveniences like handicapped elevator. The outside still shows signs of being a historic theatre but the inside is so clean and new looking. But a little too bright. I am hoping the Mariinsky will not be this new looking after renovation because it has a warm glow about it that I love .

#93 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

Goryacheva was sympathetic as Tatiana but just not quite as moving as Olga Smirnova.

In my opinion, Goryacheva is subtle, while Smirnova is overdoing it. Anastasia Goryacheva is a very fine ballerina, loved by Bolshoi cognoscenti.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):