Bolshoi premiere of Cranko's "Onegin"

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#76 mumwang

mumwang

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Not sure if this has been posted but here is Kuznetsova (kommersant critic) on Onegin with praise for Smirnova/Lantratov : http://www.kommersant.ru/doc/2233930

#77 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

I've watched most of the available Youtube clips and this sounds like a weird thing but the Bolshoi's Onegin almost seems too "nice." Weird because they have such a history and reputation of strong acting but everything is played at this slowed, garden-party speed that takes away from the ballet's more veristic moments. There's little of the passion and fire I'd expect from a performance of Onegin. 

#78 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

What was most interesting in the Kommersant review was the information that after Svetlana Zakarova left the Bolshoi and Moscow, she was seen days later in Kazan.  Oh-so-coincidentally Vladimir Putin was also in Kazan that day to visit a University.  Google Translate is awesome!!!!

We'll never know if they met, but it does add another factoid to the list of crazy at the Bolshoi.  

#79 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hallberg and obratzsova...

#80 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Here we go: David & Genya on the YT

First Duet

Dream Sequence:

Letter Ripping (round 1)

Giving Offense to Lensky

Duel

2nd Ball

Letter Ripping (round 2)

bows

David Hallberg posted some Onegin photos on his FB page today

#81 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

Message on the Stuttgart Ballet website, from the company dancers guesting at the Bolshoi:

http://www.stuttgart-ballet.de/home/

#82 annamk

annamk

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Bit of a long shot this I know ......

I'm wondering there are any pointers in how Bolshoi casting generally works as to whether Onegin casts are likely to be the same when it's performed again in October.

#83 Oreo

Oreo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Read this:
Blogger reveals 'how they really got rid of Bolshoi chief'. - Tuesday, 23 July 2013
http://www.ismeneb.c...shoi_chief.html

#84 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

I got to see the Kaptsova/Skvortsov evening and it was wonderful.  It was quite a contrast to the Stuttgart evening - the Bolshoi soloists aren't as practiced at the idiosyncrasies of Cranko choreography, but they had a really good handle on the characters.  I thought Skvortsov was very compelling as Onegin, and fleshed him out even more than McKie.  I wish I could have seen the opening night cast, but it was not to be.  

Full review: http://itinerantball...turns-home.html

#85 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thank you for your report, Swanilda8. I envy you for having had the opportunity to see such performances. I hope you keep the blog posts coming.

#86 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

For some contrast, here is the unique interpretation by Makarova dancing with Reid.  I hate sets, but Makarova makes you believe she is breathing and pumping blood as this character:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sgY6dwmELMI

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=a1JInMcXqEE

Also here is the Alicia Amatriain and Evan McKie - you can see the different acting accents and nuances:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=N6MVpHjccRc

#87 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

Thank you Jayne for all the youtube links! With each one I found pieces to love but ending with the Stuttgart dancers was the cherry on top - they are sensational!

#88 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

I watched two performances of Onegin at the Bolshoi (my first trip to Russia). It was the last two performances, the Stuttgart guest day and Obraztova / Hallberg cast day. (unfortunately Vishneva / Gomes performance was sold out and I couldn't make it)

I have seen Onegin at various companies including POB, Royal and also in Stuttgart many times. So my views might not be completely neutral, but yes, Alicia Amatriain and Evan McKie pair were just sensational and delivered such a dramatic, nuanced and breathtaking performance. I would say they are the best interpreters of the ballet at present. Such a delicate and yet strong Tatiana by Amatriain and McKie's  elegant, deep, pathetic and charming Onegin, with such magical partnering. Anna Osadcenko as Olga was also very playful and lovely.

I noticed the music was too slow at times which killed some of the passion and speed, although they seemed to have become faster in the Stuttgart guesting day. But the corps by Bolshoi dancers were doing a great job and made use of the huge stage at Bolshoi. 

Evgenia Obraztuova was like Juliet in her first act. She was sweet and her dancing was eloquent and lovely but too classical and old-fashioned for Cranko. She did have much dramatic quality and much into the role especially in the last act but the chemistry between David Hallberg didn't seem to be there, maybe she might have been better with her other partner. Thought Hallberg was just too tall for her. Hallberg is a beautiful dancer with gorgeous lines, his variations were stunning but his acting seemed too serious at times and I couldn't see much love to Tatiana. It was unfortunate for him to have last minute changes of his partner. 

But as a whole, it was very touching to see Pushikin's masterpiece brought back on stage in Moscow. Onegin does have flaws, especially from a Russian point of view but a grand and very memorable piece. 

You can see more videos of the Amatriain / McKie performance on the same channel as posted above.

#89 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Bit of a long shot this I know ......

I'm wondering there are any pointers in how Bolshoi casting generally works as to whether Onegin casts are likely to be the same when it's performed again in October.

The Bolshoi has finally posted the next round of Onegin casting.

Oct 10, 12e - Smirnova, Lantratov, Tikhomirova, Chudin, Biktimirov

Oct 11 - Obraztsova, Volchkov, Stashkevich, Gudanov, Vodopetov

Oct 12m - Kretova, Skvortsov, Khokhlova, Ovcharenko, Khromushin

#90 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

In addition to posting Onegin casts in October, the full Spartacus casts are visible and Lobukhin, not Ivan Vasiliev, will dance the movie version of Spartacus on October 20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):