This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi premiere of Cranko's "Onegin"

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

I watched and enjoyed all of it.  I do wish I could have seen Haydee dance it.  Lantrantov is a wonderful dancer, but by the end, I really felt the ballet should be retitled "Tatyana" because Smirnova steals the show.  I really wish I could see the Obratsova / Hallberg pairing. 

Have any of the Russian language reviews been published yet?

#62 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

I saw Marcia Haydee and Richard Cragun perform Onegin with London Festival Ballet in London (the Coli) in 1984 and it was the performance that turned me on to ballet watching and I have never forgotten it.

I only watched the mirror pdd and thought it looked a bit safe but then I had to remember it was their debuts and I am sure they will grow more into the characters as the run progresses.  The quality of the dancing was lovely.

#63 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

Some videos from today’s performance with Nina Kaptsova, Ruslan Skvortsov, Kristina Kretova, Artem Ovcharenko and Yegor Khromushin have been posted on You Tube, but I’m reluctant to link them because the user recently had a previous account closed, thanks largely to the Bolshoi Theater. The clips show most of Act 2 and both duets from Act 3. I was vastly more impressed by these than by the videos from opening night. This was definitely a Muscovite take on the ballet—vivid, extremely dramatic, even operatic, with highly individual performances. Perhaps Ovcharenko was a bit lightweight in comparison to the other four, and he wasn’t quite up to the technical challenges of his solo, but at least he was less mannered than Semyon Chudin. I was struck by the detail and originality of the performances from Kaptsova, Skvortsov and Kretova, and the final duet packed a full-frontal wallop. (The tempo was still too slow, but this pair coped with it better.) Pity that there doesn’t seem to be any video from Act 1.

#64 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Since these have already been posted on Russian boards, and the Bolshoi's video police is likelier to spot them there than here, I thought some posters may want to watch four available scenes from July 12 and July 14 side by side.

Act 2, scene 1

#65 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Act 2, scene 2

#66 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Act 3, scene 1

#67 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Act 3, scene 2

#68 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

wow!  I have to say the 3rd cast is my favorite per youtube: Nina Kaptsova is less stylized and more artlessly innocent as Tatiana, Ruslan Skvortsov isn't a card board cutout of a cold hearted man - he's just having sport with these country folk.  Kristina Kretova has wonderful acting skills and every step is done with clarity, and Anton Ovcharenko is appropriately youthful as the young, hapless Lensky.  Bravo!  

Sveta should take note that dancing in a non-first cast can still produce fantastic dance art.  

#69 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the videos!  It's great to compare the casts.  Also, I'm now very much looking forward to seeing the ballet tomorrow with Kaptsova/Skvortsov/Ovcharenko.  

In other news, according to twitter, Evan McKie still hasn't received his visa to perform in the ballet on Saturday.  At what point do they decide to put in another dancer and who will they choose?  Also, have the other principals (also all Stuttgart soloists) received their visas?

#70 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

No visa. Yikes! Well, I've had first-hand experience with this sort of thing, so I really feel for McKie. Hard to say if it's old-school shenanigans or merely some bureaucrat's incompetence.

Sveta should take note that dancing in a non-first cast can still produce fantastic dance art.  

The sponsor of the production posted a little behind-the-scenes video online. (Unfortunately, the video credits the performance footage to the Stuttgart Ballet when it's actually the National Ballet of Canada.) In it both Nina Kaptsova and Ruslan Skvortsov talk about how happy they are to be dancing in the ballet. Kaptsova says she "always dreamed of dancing Tatiana" because of her strong personal identification with the character, while Skvortsov talks about how pleased he is to be "among the first" to dance in the ballet's first Russian production. Different priorities from Zakharova's, I guess.

But look at the bright side. The casting reshuffle that followed Zakharova's walkout resulted in Kaptsova and Skvortsov getting an additional performance of the ballet, and they obviously deserve it.

#71 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Clips of Obraztsova:

#72 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

Bows from July 16 performance:  Obraztsova / Volchkov / Stashkevich / Gudanov

https://www.youtube....h?v=v-c1_gcPeo4

and from opening night July 12:  Smirnova / Lantratov / Tikhomirova / Chudin

https://www.youtube....h?v=WEgLiDmlXv0

I think they have a hit on their hands

#73 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

It's been such a pleasure to watch all the video clips and read the comments. Thank you, all, for this.   I was especially impressed with Nina Kaptsova and Ruslan Skvortsov.   Many years ago, my mom took me to the Stuttgart Ballet to see Onegin with Marcia Haydee, Heinz Claus, Egon Madsen, and Suzanne Hanke, who were the originators of the production when Cranko revised it (I think that Ray Barra originated the title role). I still remember parts of it vividly.  Haydee was unforgettable, and I recall Madsen's anguish as Lensky.  The lead roles are coveted by dancers.

#74 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

It's been such a pleasure to watch all the video clips and read the comments. Thank you, all, for this.   I was especially impressed with Nina Kaptsova and Ruslan Skvortsov.   Many years ago, my mom took me to the Stuttgart Ballet to see Onegin with Marcia Haydee, Heinz Claus, Egon Madsen, and Suzanne Hanke, who were the originators of the production when Cranko revised it (I think that Ray Barra originated the title role). I still remember parts of it vividly.  Haydee was unforgettable, and I recall Madsen's anguish as Lensky.  The lead roles are coveted by dancers.

I will put in a word for Heinz Claus as well--I still recall his sense of anguish.

#75 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

From the look of the videos, they're all giving it their all. I think Smirnova is tremendous -- not because she's stylized, but because Tatiana is an idealist and a romantic, and Smirnova's lyrical way of doing everything  seems  in keeping with the great-hearted Tatiana who was in love with the noble Grandison, whom she only knew from a book, before she ever met Onegin. Smirnova's long long phrases are really extraordinary. i love the duet with  her husband.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):