• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

The Bolshoi is scheduled to perform the Russian premiere of Cranko's "Onegin" on July 12, 2013. It will run on the main stage through July 21 just prior to it's Summer engagement at Covent Garden. The casts are yet to be announced.
http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/timetable/

#2 Meow

Meow

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

I absolutely cannot wait to see Evgenia Obraztsova in this. Here is a youtube video of her discussing it: I hope videos show up, many and soon.

#3 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Diana Vishneva has it listed on her website that she is guesting at the Bolshoi in this.

#4 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

The premiere is now two weeks away and casting has still not been announced, but Russian ballet fans have noticed that the ballet has been removed from the calendar on Svetlana Zakharova's official site.

#5 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

Since Hallberg knows Onegin, I wonder if he will be cast.

#6 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

False alarm. There was chatter that Zakharova had threatened to walk because she was not given opening night, but the casts have now been posted with Zakharova in place.

Smirnova / Lantratov / Tikhomirova / Chudin / Biktimirov

Zakharova / Hallberg / Kretova / Ovcharenko / Biktimirov

Obraztsova / Volchkov / Stashkevich / Gudanov / Vodopetov

Kaptsova / Skvortsov / Khokhlova / Alexeyev / Khromushin

Vishneva / Gomes / Kretova / Ovcharenko / Khromushin

Amatriain / McKie / Osadcenko / Vogel / Godunov - in other words, all Stuttgart

#7 Renata Rodrigues

Renata Rodrigues

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Surely Svetlana is not happy dancing on the 2nd day. I don't doubt that the rumor of his withdrawal to be true.

#8 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

I recall that Sergei Filin (to his credit) worked very hard to get this ballet - and the Cranko Foundation is very picky about which companies get it, staging, etc.  My calculated guess is that part of the agreement was considerable Cranko-approved stager's choices for casts.  It's just as interesting to see *who has not been cast at all* for the premier week compared to *who has been cast* - no matter which night.  

I think it's good that she is dancing with David Hallberg, there will be a lot of trust there from years of partnering.  Wow, Ms Smirnova and Mr Chudin are certainly on the rise!  Opening night cast in the ballet that *everyone* at the Bolshoi was aiming for.   To be honest, if I was in Moscow, I'd try to see every single cast, just to see if there are any surprise revelations. 

#9 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Bolshoi casting is a bit like old-fashioned Kremlinology. And meteoric rises are a double-edged sword. When fears emerged that Zakharova might not appear in the ballet you would not believe how much venom was directed at Smirnova in the RUnet. I never really expected Alexandrova or Shipulina to be cast in the ballet, but the exclusion of Krysanova is more surprising. Nikulina hasn't been getting much love from the Bolshoi lately. She recently danced a couple of Swan Lakes at the Mariinsky, but her own company has not cast her in the ballet for more than a year. For me it's a crying shame that Svetlana Lunkina is not around to dance in this production. I still hope this can be rectified in the future.

#10 duffster

duffster

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

I thought it interesting that ( if I am correct in saying) that all of the ballerinas who will be performing Olga except Kaptsova and Amatriain were from the Marinsky school.

#11 mumwang

mumwang

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Bolshoi casting is a bit like old-fashioned Kremlinology. And meteoric rises are a double-edged sword. When fears emerged that Zakharova might not appear in the ballet you would not believe how much venom was directed at Smirnova in the RUnet. I never really expected Alexandrova or Shipulina to be cast in the ballet, but the exclusion of Krysanova is more surprising. Nikulina hasn't been getting much love from the Bolshoi lately. She recently danced a couple of Swan Lakes at the Mariinsky, but her own company has not cast her in the ballet for more than a year. For me it's a crying shame that Svetlana Lunkina is not around to dance in this production. I still hope this can be rectified in the future.

Alexendrova and Krysanova can be seen rehearsing  Lacotte's Marco Spada here: http://www.vesti.ru/...=517984&cid=460

Thought it interesting that while the Bolshoi advertised Zakhorova as dancing Tatiania ( when announcing the acquirement of Onegin at the press conference last season), leading to premature conclusions that she would be the opening night ballerina, Smirnova/Lantratov seem to have caught the fancy of the Cranko stagers. Didn't think Smirnova would be able to best out the Bolshoi prima/s for such an important event especially dancers of the dramatic caliber of Obraztsova/Kaptsova but one never knows with the Cranko fund and it seems one should never underestimate Smirnovaflowers.gif ...  I'm sure all the casts will be special in their own way and it is such a wonderful opportunity for Smirnova/Lantratov.

Nice to see Tikhomirova getting the opening night Olga slot. 

#12 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

Do the Cranko stagers really have so much power that they can dictate who dances on which night?  Seems like unwelcome micromanagement.

#13 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

Do the Cranko stagers really have so much power that they can dictate who dances on which night?  Seems like unwelcome micromanagement.

Yes, they do.  Sylvie Guillem was denied the role and the most likely cast for Tatiana in London, Leanne Benjamin, never made the cut either.

I know someone who worked for John Cranko and she told me he was a kind, unassuming man and would have been delighted if a major dancer expressed a wish to dance in one of his ballets.  My friend is less than happy about the way roles are being allocated today.

#14 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Another famous episode is that Tamara Rojo danced the Tatiana role once and then she was rejected to dance the role. It seems she was very upset about this. I can't fined the source right now but she cited her frustration about this in an interview.

#15 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

The Cranko estate makes the Balanchine Trust look downright lenient. And of course Messrs. Graefe and Anderson are notorious for preventing companies from filming Cranko ballets, too. That has never made much sense to me. I don't see how Cranko's legacy is served by making it nearly impossible to acquire DVDs of his ballets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):