This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

D. David Brown retiring next year

D. David Brown, Executive Director of Pacific Northwest Ballet, to Retire in June 2014

Seattle, WA - Aya Hamilton, Chairman of the Board of Pacific Northwest Ballet, today announced that Executive Director D. David Brown will be retiring in June 2014, after more than 14 years with the company.

“David Brown has been a strong and guiding force behind PNB for thirteen years,” said Ms. Hamilton in her announcement. “His presence and talents will be missed by PNB and our board. Not only has David contributed significantly to the operations and stability of PNB over his long tenure but his contributions to the national dance world as well as the greater Seattle arts community are vast. David has served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Dance/USA and is a past chair of the Dance/USA Manager’s Council and a past President of the Washington State Arts Alliance. He is also currently active in the Washington State Arts Commission and is a passionate advocate for the Cultural Access Fund. It is our hope and expectation that when David leaves PNB next year, he will continue to vigorously advocate for support of the arts in our community,” stated Ms. Hamilton.

Ms. Hamilton, who will chair the search committee for Mr. Brown’s successor, added “I am pleased that David has given us lead time to find a strong successor, as well as another year of his superb leadership as we continue into PNB’s fifth decade of excellence.”

Mr. Brown joined Pacific Northwest Ballet as Executive Director in May of 2000, working with Founding Artistic Directors Francia Russell and Kent Stowell. On the appointment of Artistic Director Peter Boal in 2005, he and Mr. Boal developed a strong collaboration that has expanded the horizons of PNB’s audience through the addition of more than 70 new works by 37 choreographers to PNB’s repertory, including the creation of 20 world premieres during that same period.

Mr. Brown has consistently led PNB to strong annual financial performance through a decade of some of the most challenging economic times on record. Through the opening of Marion Oliver McCaw Hall and the 18 month dislocation of the company to the Mercer Arts Arena, the successful relocation and expansion of the PNB Bellevue School to its current location, the Francia Russell Center, and the execution of multiple strategic plans which have strengthened the ability of PNB to broaden its impact in the region and nationally, Mr. Brown has provided leadership of the highest caliber.

“David Brown’s dedication to Pacific Northwest Ballet is beyond measure,” said Artistic Director Peter Boal. “We will recognize and appreciate his stewardship of this institution for many years to come. Through challenging times and significant milestones, it is David’s guidance that has brought PNB to a place of financial security from which we can look forward to a very bright future. Having his experience and wisdom by my side as a new artistic director has been invaluable.”

“Having given more than a decade of service to this wonderful company and more than 40 years to dance, I have decided to retire effective June 30, 2014,” stated Mr. Brown. “My time at PNB has been challenging, exhilarating and a most fulfilling end to my working career. When I left Boston Ballet in 1999 after nearly 30 years, I felt that if I was successful, PNB could be my last job which has turned out to be so.”

Continued Mr. Brown, “My professional colleagues in the Dance field are among the best in this or any business, and I have enjoyed the support of a Board of Trustees who exemplifies the best in volunteerism. For the past seven years I have had the privilege of working side by side with Peter Boal as we moved into a new era of repertory expansion and new works creation while weathering the worst economic downturn in my lifetime. I leave this company with the satisfaction of knowing that it is on firm financial footing.”

D. David Brown joined Pacific Northwest Ballet as Executive Director in May of 2000. Mr. Brown's career in ballet began more than 30 years ago as a dancer in the corps of Boston Ballet. Moving quickly through the ranks of the company to principal, he danced many roles including several ballets premiered at Boston Ballet. In 1981, upon retiring from active performing, he moved to Director of Production and then served in the role of General Manager from 1983–1998. He was most recently its Executive Director until June 1999, when he left to pursue arts consulting. Upon his arrival at PNB, Mr. Brown quickly set about strengthening the administrative staff, guiding PNB's strategic plan implementation and refining the financial management and budget processes. While forging a strong working partnership with new Artistic Director Peter Boal, Mr. Brown continues to strengthen the organization and better prepare it to support his artistic vision. His background provides the unique perspective of both artist and manager, and his experienced leadership has quickly become one of PNB's greatest assets.

Mr. Brown has served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Dance/USA, the national service organization for professional dance and is a past chair of the Dance/USA Manager’s Council. He currently serves as a Trustee of the American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA) Retirement Plan & Health Fund, employer Trustee for the IATSE #15 Theatrical Stage Employees Health and Welfare Trust, and is Past President of the Washington State Arts Alliance. He is also currently a member of ArtsWA, the Washington State Arts Commission. Mr. Brown has been active in cultural funding projects such as the Cultural Access Fund, among others, and is a contributor and member of the Editorial Board of the American Journal of Arts Management.

# # #

That is a nice photo, and for those who live here, a very recognizable location.

There are a couple of public spaces in Seattle (the corridor at McCaw Hall in this photo, and the meeting rooms at the Central Library) that are painted a very deep red, and they always remind me of the sequences in Fantastic Voyage, where the miniature submarine is supposed to be traveling through someone's blood stream.

The have been many and will be many more articles on Kaori Nakamura's retirement, but the company celebrated D. David Brown twice on opening night of "Giselle," first in a pre-performance dinner at The Ruins and then in a post-performance toast on stage.

What's next for him? "I intend to do as little as possible for as long as possible," he tells me.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/2014/06/pacific-northwest-ballets-dreamy-giselle-marks-end.html?page=all

Many of the people who attended the dinner were wearing their D. David Brown badges during the opening night performance (hung on yarn around their necks, for a charming, almost pre-school touch). It was very, very sweet.