• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#121 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

The demons were definitely at the helm when the casting decisions were made. Boylston, rather than Abrera, who is the most deserving of the ABT dancers for the role, gets to dance Giselle? What were they thinking? Part gets the Wednesday matinee Swan Lake, whereas Seo gets the Saturday night performance with Bolle? Abrera doesn't even get a Cinderella? Adding insult to injury, Waelsung, I truly doubt that coincidence has given Part all matinees, but I can't for the life of me figure out why.

On the plus side, I'm sure that the Lane/Cornejo Theme and Variations will be a "don't miss." I'm also glad that Lane gets a Coppelia.

But from my perspective, there isn't a great deal to look forward to at this point in the upcoming season. I do plan to see the Kajiya/Gorak Coppelia just to end a bitter season with some sweetness.

As an aside, and I realize that it's simply a typo, but did you notice that in the June 28th performance Hallberg is dancing Odette-Odile and Semionova is dancing Siegfried?

#122 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Anyone wonder if Julie Kent can really make it through her scheduled performances? Her technique the last couple of times I've seen her has really eroded.

#123 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Well, look at the bright side.  If you go to fewer ABT shows, you will have more money available to attend the Bolshoi's performances this summer in New York,   the Bolshoi Giselles at the Kennedy Center in May and/or the Mariinsky's Swan Lakes at the Kennedy Center in Jan.

#124 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

As an aside, and I realize that it's simply a typo, but did you notice that in the June 28th performance Hallberg is dancing Odette-Odile and Semionova is dancing Siegfried?

Definitely the casting masterstroke of the season ;)

I'm not sure what Mackenzie was thinking, but think of all of the kids taken to matinees for whom Part might become the definition of ballerina. I think they win.

#125 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

I notice Part matinee heavy casting too.   This will force me to take one Wed.off to see Part's SL.

#126 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm not sure what Mackenzie was thinking, but think of all of the kids taken to matinees for whom Part might become the definition of ballerina. I think they win.

I like that, Helene. Every cloud has a silver lining!

#127 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

I have a hard time imagining ABT doing Duo Concertant.  Neoclassical ballet set to Igor Stravinsky is not part of their DNA.  I'm actually pretty happy that the mixed bill is the same week as the Bolshoi Giselles in D.C.  I will split my week so that I can see a few Giselles and return on Friday for the Vishneva Bayadere, most likely.

#128 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have a hard time imagining ABT doing Duo Concertant.  Neoclassical ballet set to Igor Stravinsky is not part of their DNA.  I'm actually pretty happy that the mixed bill is the same week as the Bolshoi Giselles in D.C.  I will split my week so that I can see a few Giselles and return on Friday for the Vishneva Bayadere, most likely.

ABT performed Duo Concertant a few years ago in DC. Did any BAers see it?

#129 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

I see that Hallberg's name is missing from the first 3 weeks of the season.  Any chance that he will appear w. the Bolshoi in Giselle in D.C. during during May?

correction:  Hallberg's name is missing for the first 5 weeks of the season.  His name doesn't pop up until his Giselle on June 17.  Curious.

#130 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

The demons were definitely at the helm when the casting decisions were made. Boylston, rather than Abrera, who is the most deserving of the ABT dancers for the role, gets to dance Giselle? What were they thinking? Part gets the Wednesday matinee Swan Lake, whereas Seo gets the Saturday night performance with Bolle? Abrera doesn't even get a Cinderella? Adding insult to injury, Waelsung, I truly doubt that coincidence has given Part all matinees, but I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Houston Ballet dances a very classical rep.  I think the writing is on the wall for Ms Abrera and if she wants to dance principal roles, she needs to make some phone calls to Houston Ballet, or another company that specializes in the classical rep.  

#131 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Houston Ballet dances a very classical rep.  I think the writing is on the wall for Ms Abrera and if she wants to dance principal roles, she needs to make some phone calls to Houston Ballet, or another company that specializes in the classical rep.  

I can't speak for what Ms. Abrera wants or doesn't want to do, but I do know that it would be very sad for those of us who have followed her career over the years to see her leave ABT, where she deserves to be a principal dancer. She was cast in the Wednesday matinee of Giselle some years ago, but had to be replaced because of injury. So ABT did recognize her potential. Now she is back in top form, and has certainly proved her mettle and stamina by dancing Aurora (considered a far more difficult role technically than Giselle)10 times in 30 days with the Royal Ballet of New Zealand, so why doesn't she get a fair shot?

Every year I await the spring season brochure with great anticipation, but this year I am disappointed beyond measure.

#132 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

I see that Hallberg's name is missing from the first 3 weeks of the season.  Any chance that he will appear w. the Bolshoi in Giselle in D.C. during during May?

correction:  Hallberg's name is missing for the first 5 weeks of the season.  His name doesn't pop up until his Giselle on June 17.  Curious.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love David Hallberg, but can we even call him an ABT dancer any more?  He's more like a guest, just performing every once in awhile.  It's just another heavy hitting loss to ABT's principal roster without a satisfactory replacement to heal the wound.

#133 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:00 AM

The demons were definitely at the helm when the casting decisions were made.

But from my perspective, there isn't a great deal to look forward to at this point in the upcoming season.

That's my feelings precisely - Since I don't do matinees, I am really hard-pressed to find at least one performance I really would like to attend. I know that eventually I'll probably give in and will see something but at this point I'm not looking forward to anything.

Very sad.

#134 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

Well, look at the bright side.  If you go to fewer ABT shows, you will have more money available to attend the Bolshoi's performances this summer in New York,   the Bolshoi Giselles at the Kennedy Center in May and/or the Mariinsky's Swan Lakes at the Kennedy Center in Jan.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was trying to find a silver lining to this cloud, Abatt. Let's hope the Bolshoy and Mariinsky castings don't disappoint.beg.gif

#135 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

ABT performed Duo Concertant a few years ago in DC. Did any BAers see it?

Spring 2011 mixed bill at the Kennedy Center. Staged by Ben Huys. I saw first-cast Riccetto & Hallberg and recall that it was mostly a disappointment, compared to NYCB and Farrell Ballet renditions. Maybe it was a matter of 1st-night jitters or they were under-reheared?

I have no desire to travel to DC for the Grigorovich Giselle. Of all the ballets in the Bolshoi rep...ugh. DC wins Wonka's Golden TIcket.  I'll save my cash for Isabella's debut in the superior ABT version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):