This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2014 Met Season

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#91 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

I see in the ballet talk forums that Julie did dance Titania with Gomes in the 2012 run of The Dream. I saw her and Gomes in the previous run of The Dream, maybe 3-4 years ago, and she was absolutely lovely. 

Carreno was always outstanding as Des Grieux. It seems like Manon would be a good vehicle for Kent's farewell (if she is in fact retiring this year), and she's set to dance the role in Japan this winter. But saying goodbye with Manon would mean that she'd depart relatively early in the season and not dance a Giselle, Swan Lake, or Dream. I suppose the Shakespeare evening could work as a farewell, though she doesn't appear to be cast in the Tempest this fall.

Okay, I'll stop speculating for now!

#92 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

Carreno would make a beautiful Gamache in the Ratmansky version.

#93 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

I think the "former" principal might refer to Osipova.  Perhaps we might get her "Swan Lake"?

Don Q:  I'll get another chance to see Part as Kitri - hopefully not a matinee.  Otherwise, yawn...

Classics Splendor:  what are the splendors revealed in this program?

La Bayadere:  I get to catch up on Semionova and Ivan Vasiliev who I missed last time.

Manon: something for Julie Kent and Vishneva but also Cojocaru if ABT still is inviting her as an annual guest.

Giselle:  Since Gillian has unveiled her Giselle in NZ maybe she will bring the title role to NYC?  What about Part?

Ashton Cinderella:  okay I am excited about this.  WIll Gillian get the opening night?  Another brilliant redhead allegro technician created it - Moira Shearer.  Margot Fonteyn was the original casting choice but was injured - she later made it her own.  Julie Julie Kent would have been a gorgeous Ashton Cinderella 15 years ago.  I suspect Kevin will push Hee Seo into this - I hope her technique is up to it.  Part is a good choice.  Boylston will get some performances - maybe the opening night!

Swan Lake: perhaps Osipova unveiling her Odette/Odile - otherwise, yawn...

Coppélia:  this doesn't have any interesting casting possiblities for me.  I have seen everyone in it.

All Shakespearean:  "The Dream", "The Tempest" and "Moor's Pavane"?  Vishneva and Kent were lovely as Titania but another good guest role for Cojocaru.

Casting suggestions:

Cojocaru as Titania, Ashton Cinderella, Odette/Odile, Manon, Giselle etc.

Osipova as Odette/Odile (Giselle, Coppelia, Kitri but I suspect she is booked)

Gillian Murphy as Giselle, Ashton Cinderella

Denis Matvienko as Basilio, Albrecht, Siegfried

Joseph Gorak as Albrecht, Des Grieux, Prince in Cinderella

Sarah Lane as Manon, Coppelia, Cinderella

#94 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Presumably Hammoudi will be back in action by the spring season, so perhaps he will be able to debut in some of the roles he had been preparing before his injury.  However, you can never bet on that.  Abrera learned Giselle, but never danced it at ABT after she got injured. 

Since ABT is rolling out new costumes for Theme & Variations, I would guess that T&V will be one of the splendors. I miss Lilac Garden. I wish that they would revive it.  Second choice would be a revival of the Leaves are Fading.

Since Murphy is so good as Myrta, I want her to keep it in her rep.  Maybe she could dance Myrta one night and Giselle the next?

Given all the hoopla surrounding Misty Copeland lately, I'd be surprised if they didn't give her a lead role in something.

#95 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

Given all the hoopla surrounding Misty Copeland lately, I'd be surprised if they didn't give her a lead role in something.

According to this recent interview, Copeland is preparing the lead in Coppelia and will premiere it in NYC in the opening night cast:

http://www.huffingto..._n_3982378.html

"And most exciting will be my preparation for the role of Swanilda in the ballet 'Coppelia.' This will be my first full-length classical ballet as the first lead. I will premiere it in Abu Dhabi at the end of March and then in our spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House as the opening night cast."

#96 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Wow, isn't this announcement a little premature.  ABT hasn't given out casting yet, and a lot can happen before the Met season.  Personally I don't see Swanilda as great role for M. Copeland, but I know her fans will disagree.  Do the other dancers in ABT know what's in store for them for the Met season?

#97 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

Wow, isn't this announcement a little premature.  ABT hasn't given out casting yet, and a lot can happen before the Met season.  Personally I don't see Swanilda as great role for M. Copeland, but I know her fans will disagree.  Do the other dancers in ABT know what's in store for them for the Met season?

At least in recent years, the first mailing about the spring Met season, including principal casting, has gone out in mid-October. A few things change by the time the season rolls around, but not that much. So, presumably, negotiations with principals are nearly complete, if not already done. That first mailer is promoting subscriptions and single tickets typically don't go on sale until the first Sunday in April, but at least in recent years, there are still plenty of great seats available in  April.

#98 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

At least in recent years, the first mailing about the spring Met season, including principal casting, has gone out in mid-October. A few things change by the time the season rolls around, but not that much. So, presumably, negotiations with principals are nearly complete, if not already done. That first mailer is promoting subscriptions and single tickets typically don't go on sale until the first Sunday in April, but at least in recent years, there are still plenty of great seats available in  April.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I usually only subscribe to NYCB, so even though I live in NYC I'm not too up on ABT.  I usually go to see rep nights and full lengths very selectively.  I wouldn't buy a ticket to see M. Copeland as Swanilda.

#99 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

One problem with Les Sylphides is that it's often danced as if it's mostly of interest to ballet historians, but it can be brought to life and ABT has the dancers to do so if properly coached (a big 'if' I know). 

I'm very excited about Chopiniana.  I will be jumping again on a plane just for it.  This ballet is deeply engraved in my memory and heart, and was a staple of my Alonso's company all the way until I left Cuba-(it was actually on the very last program I ever saw over there...(sight)..). 

I can't wait for the magical Glazunov orchestration of Chopin and the swirling Sylphs... 

#100 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

One problem with Les Sylphides is that it's often danced as if it's mostly of interest to ballet historians, but it can be brought to life and ABT has the dancers to do so if properly coached (a big 'if' I know). 

I'm very excited about Chopiniana.  I will be jumping again on a plane just for it.  This ballet is deeply engraved in my memory and heart, and was a staple of my Alonso's company all the way until I left Cuba-(it was actually on the very last program I ever saw over there...(sight)..). 

I can't wait for the magical Glazunov orchestration of Chopin and the swirling Sylphs... 

It is wonderful. The best performances I ever saw of it were probably with the Kirov in the 80's--maybe early 90's. I also loved Baryshnikov as the male lead with ABT in the early 80's. Actually my favorite Baryshnikov performance.

I believe it was reported that for the Fall season revival ABT would be using a "lost" (and now found) Benjamin Britten orchestration.

#101 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

regarding the authorship of the orchestration for LES SLYPHIDES, see the correction the NYTimes ran in response to a letter is sent the paper about to its newsstory concerning the Britten version to be used at ABT. Glazunov turns out to have played little part in the history of SYLPHIDES score since its very first outing in a version that would be unrecognizable today with its Tarantella etc.

#102 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Here are some more casting suggestions:

Stella Abrera as Titania, Giselle, Odette/Odile (this might be pushing her hard), Nikiya, Ashton Cinderella and Manon

Sascha Radetsky as Frantz, Lescaut, Oberon

#103 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

regarding the authorship of the orchestration for LES SLYPHIDES, see the correction the NYTimes ran in response to a letter is sent the paper about to its newsstory concerning the Britten version to be used at ABT. Glazunov turns out to have played little part in the history of SYLPHIDES score since its very first outing in a version that would be unrecognizable today with its Tarantella etc.

Can you provide a link, rg...?

#104 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

try this

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

or try accessing the NYT and searching "Britten Sylphides"

#105 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

thanks.GIF

Will I have the chance at ABT to listen to the Polonaise in A major-('Military')- as the ballet starter...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):