261 replies to this topic

#46 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Thank you, Barbara.  I apologize for the brain freeze blushing.gif .

#47 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

I believe Joffrey is currently reviving the Lars Lubovich "Othello" on tour. 

#48 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Doesn't ABT have the Lubovitch Othello in its rep? ... Would all three ballets be too long?

The Lubovitch "Othello," which was released on DVD with San Francisco Ballet, is too long, ...

The Lubovitch Othello is an evening-length ballet. 

More Tudor, especially The Leaves Are Fading and Lilac Garden.

And I'm always game for La Sylphide.  Can't get enough of that ballet!

#49 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Helene, they just did Moor's Pavane last fall so it seems possible that would be included with The Dream and The Tempest.

The Moor's Pavane is on the schedule for this coming fall (just posted), so it seems even more likely that it will be on a triple bill with The Dream and The Tempest in The Spring.

According to NY Times, the music for The Tempest is 1 hour long:

The music for Mr. Ratmansky’s “Tempest” was written by the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius for a 1926 production and originally consisted of 35 pieces, lasting one hour.

If Ratmansky utilizes the full score, The Tempest & The Dream plus one intermission will be 2 hours & 30 minutes long, so I doubt it will be a triple bill as it'd push the total time more than 3 hours long.

#50 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:31 AM

My prediction for 2014 Met season complete (almost) list:

La Bayadere
Giselle
Manon
All Shakespearean program with The Dream

Ashton Cinderella

Swan Lake

Coppelia

Don Q

#51 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

Wow, not one mixed rep program?  No Ratmansky triology?  I'm getting kind of tired of Don Q. As always, thanks mussel.

#52 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:55 AM

My prediction for 2014 Met season complete (almost) list:

La Bayadere
Giselle
Manon
All Shakespearean program with The Dream

Ashton Cinderella

Swan Lake

Coppelia

Don Q

What about the tempest?

Abatt: wouldn't shakespeare program count as mixed?

#53 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

The fall season is two weeks of mixed rep in a smaller house. I don't know what the attendance figures were for the Met's mixed bills, but it sounded as if those were harder tickets to sell. Splitting things up this way seems to make sense.

#54 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

Nice to note the upsurge in interest in a revival of Manon. I want to see it return, too.

As someone who's been going to ABT regularly for about six years, I'm wondering if one of you veterans can fill in some blanks. Which full-lengths are still in the repertory but which haven't been revived lately--say, in a decade or more? (Thank goodness for this year's Sylvia.) I can think of Raymonda, Fille Mal Gardee, but what others? It does get a bit tiresome to see the same things in rotation season after season, though I acknowledge that Swan Lake is inevitable (like the Met's Boheme, it's a cash cow) and I too want to see it every summer. (Would that Bayadere were an annual, rather than a biennial; I never get tired of it, not ever.)

#55 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

For instance , Cranko's Taming of the Shrew. It is a male virtuoso ballet so this would be very interesting to see with the current ABT men.

http://www.abt.org/e...g_of_shrew.html

#56 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

There have been a number of clunkers that never returned.  Parson's The Pied Piper, the Snow Maiden, HereAfter (or AfterHere, depending on which night you saw it), Anastasia.  I hated Taming and would not see it again if they brought it back.

#57 FauxPas

FauxPas

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

ABT's website has a listing of all the ballets in its repertory over the years:

http://www.abt.org/e...hive/index.html

The Birgit Cullberg "Miss Julie" was very highly regarded back in the day.  It is still in the repertory of some European houses.

"La Fille Mal Gardée" would be a wonderful ballet to revive because with the abundance of short male principals, the role of Colas would be easy to cast.  That part can work with a smaller more demi-caractère danseur.  Simkin, Cornejo (moving up from Alain), Vasiliev (with some coaching) and hopefully Gorak would all be excellent in the part.  Lise would still fit Murphy, Reyes and Herrera and Sarah Lane, Osipova and Boylston would all excel in it.  But since ABT is adding the Ashton "Cinderella" and is likely reviving the Ashton "The Dream" as half of the Shakespeare double bill with Ratmansky's "The Tempest" that would create a glut of Ashton.

Many of the works that have not been revived in ages are the shorter works by ABT's founding choreographers: Tudor and DeMille.  I am talking "Pillar of Fire", "Fall River Legend", "Billy the Kid", "Undertow", "Dim Lustre", "Les Patineurs" "Dark Elegies" -  ballets that ABT established its artistic identity with.  The big kahuna here is the Tudor "Romeo and Juliet" which is trembling on the brink of extinction - the last generation of dancers and coaches who know the work are quite old now.  According to an interview by Kevin McKenzie the essential missing element is the scenery by Eugene Berman.  The sets would cost millions today to reproduce despite the fact that they were probably painted flats.  This is something the Doris Duke or Nureyev foundations or National Endowment for the Humanities should pounce on.

ABT did do the "Anastasia" by MacMillan for one season - in the full-length version.  I didn't see it (traveling that month) but it was not well received.  The shorter version is superior.  Vishneva might be an interesting choice for the title role but it isn't a great ballet from what I have heard.  ABT has never done MacMillan's "Mayerling" and I am not sure that is a loss.  (We won't mention "Winter Dreams", "The Prince of the Pagodas" or *shudder* "The Judas Tree" - my only positive takeaway from that monstrosity was Irek Mukhamedov in a torn wifebeater and tight jeans). 

I saw the Cranko "Taming of the Shrew" with Ferri and Bocca (and Gomes as Lucentio) and loved it with them.  Didn't see it again.  Supposedly it wasn't revived because the dancers hated doing it.

#58 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

I would like to see Raymonda again but not in the Holmes-Mckenzie staging.It would be great if Ratmansky would do it in collaboration with Burlaka( Just like what they did in Bolshoi's Le Corsaire). 

#59 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Many of the works that have not been revived in ages are the shorter works by ABT's founding choreographers: Tudor and DeMille.  I am talking "Pillar of Fire", "Fall River Legend", "Billy the Kid", "Undertow", "Dim Lustre", "Les Patineurs" "Dark Elegies" -  ballets that ABT established its artistic identity with.

"Pillar of Fire" was done not so very long ago in a City Center fall season -- the year they did the all-Tudor program(s).

#60 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

ABT did do the "Anastasia" by MacMillan for one season - in the full-length version.  I didn't see it (traveling that month) but it was not well received.  The shorter version is superior.  Vishneva might be an interesting choice for the title role but it isn't a great ballet from what I have heard.  ABT has never done MacMillan's "Mayerling" and I am not sure that is a loss.  (We won't mention "Winter Dreams", "The Prince of the Pagodas" or *shudder* "The Judas Tree" - my only positive takeaway from that monstrosity was Irek Mukhamedov in a torn wifebeater and tight jeans). 

I would argue that ABT not dancing Mayerling IS a loss, even for the sole reason that Marcelo Gomes would be fascinating in the Crown Prince Rudolf role.  And even though the ballet is dominated by Rudolf, it does have several interesting parts for ballerinas--namely Mary Vetsera, Marie Larisch, Empress Elisabeth, and Princess Stephanie, which I feel could be danced well by several of ABT's dancers (Vishneva for Vetsera and Part for Larisch immediately come to mind).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):