This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2014 Met Season

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#16 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

I am trying to decide whether to go to Italy or Japan to see "Manon", but if ABT performs it in NY, I could wait, and save the money....When will this be announced?

In recent years, the spring Met season has been announced in mid-October, complete with principal casting! I suppose that could get pushed back this fall until after the fall season in NYC (October 30-November 10).

#17 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

Yes, they usually announce either during the Fall New York season or right after it. I think it's a pretty sure bet that ABT will dance Manon next season at the Met since, as noted in a post in a different thread, ABT is performing Manon on tour during the spring of 2014.

#18 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

The full length Ashton will be Cinderella.

I think it's a pretty sure bet that ABT will dance Manon next season at the Met since, as noted in a post in a different thread, ABT is performing Manon on tour during the spring of 2014.

ABT will tour Japan with Manon in Feb, 2014 and Diana will dance 2 of the performances.

#19 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

I would love to see ABT do "La Fille" again.  They haven't performed it since 2003.  But if ABT is going to do a Cinderella, I really want it to be Ashton's Cinderella.  I have seen several versions of Cinderella and Ashton's is the only one I have liked.  I saw Anthony Dowell and Wayne Sleep dance the ugly stepsisters in 2004 with the Royal Ballet at the Met and they were sensational. 

#20 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

I would love to see ABT do "La Fille" again.  They haven't performed it since 2003.  But if ABT is going to do a Cinderella, I really want to be Ashton's Cinderella.  I have seen several versions of Cinderella and Ashton's is the only one I have liked.  I saw Anthony Dowell and Wayne Sleep dance the ugly stepsisters in 2004 with the Royal Ballet at the Met and they were sensational. 

I agree, Colleen.  Ashton's "Cinderella" is pure magic.  The best.  Why not an Ashton Festival?  "Cinderella", "La Fille", "Birthday Offering".  The possible list of ballets is endless.  Dare I mention "Facade"?  Does the Royal even do that any more?  What are some others?  Does anyone have a personal favorite?

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,328 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

I've seen Oregon Ballet Theatre do "Facade.". It takes an understanding of the characters and tradition to pull off.  I don't think it would read well at the Met.

#22 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

I've seen Oregon Ballet Theatre do "Facade.". It takes an understanding of the characters and tradition to pull off.  I don't think it would read well at the Met.

Oh, I quite agree.  But it's fun to have a wish list.  Maybe "Les Patineurs"   That one ABT could do well.   "Symphonic Variations"?

"Ondine"?

#23 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

I wish they'd bring back "Les Sylphides" (I could see Simkin, Gorak and Tamm as the Poet).  And, "Citizen" that premiered a few years ago at City Center (though I don't know if that would play well in a larger theatre like the Met).

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,328 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

"Les Sylphides" -- yes! a million times. It looked great on the Met stage when I last saw it.

#25 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

delete double post

#26 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

I would love to see ABT do "La Fille" again.  They haven't performed it since 2003.  But if ABT is going to do a Cinderella, I really want to be Ashton's Cinderella.  I have seen several versions of Cinderella and Ashton's is the only one I have liked.  I saw Anthony Dowell and Wayne Sleep dance the ugly stepsisters in 2004 with the Royal Ballet at the Met and they were sensational. 

I agree, Colleen.  Ashton's "Cinderella" is pure magic.  The best.  Why not an Ashton Festival?  "Cinderella", "La Fille", "Birthday Offering".  The possible list of ballets is endless.  Dare I mention "Facade"?  Does the Royal even do that any more?  What are some others?  Does anyone have a personal favorite?

My definitive Cinderella is Ashton's, simply the best of all Cinderellas.  The first time I saw it was when RB did it at the Met in 2004, ever since I can only live with the magic by watching the 1969 RB recording.  I was so excited when it showed up in my crystal ball.  I hope this is the "it" Cinderella for ABT, no more fooling around with other Cinderellas.  As for other Ashton ballets, I really wish ABT could pick up Rhapsody, it'd be a perfect vehicle for Herman Cornejo, and even better if Baryshnikov can coach the role he originated.  And the revival of La Fille and Thai PdP (perfect for the fall season).

#27 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Totally agree about the Ashton Cinderella. I first saw it during the RB visit to the Met in 2004 and loved it. (I remember seeing Rojo and Cojocaru.) The other versions that ABT has done have not measured up in any way to the Ashton version. In fact, Cinderella week at ABT was always my week off from seeing ABT performances.

#28 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Les Patineur would be perfect for Herman (and Daniil,Arron Scott,J Gorak). Same with La Fille...Les Rendevouz was also a lovely Ashton ballet. i saw Gelsey K. Danced it with Danilo R.( could never spell his name) when she returned to ABT.

#29 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

I am trying to decide whether to go to Italy or Japan to see "Manon", but if ABT performs it in NY, I could wait, and save the money....When will this be announced?

Other places you can see Manon if you feel like travelling:

Vienna October, November, and December 13

Denmark Feb March 14

#30 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

What great suggestions everyone is making.  I would love to see Les Patineurs again.  I haven't seen live in years.  I saw the Joffrey dance it a few times in the 1980s and ABT danced it in the late 1990s - I'm thinking 1998.  Ethan Stiefel was the boy in blue, the one who is spinning like a top when the curtain goes down, then the curtain comes up again and he's still spinning.  Herman Cornejo would be great in that part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):