This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2014 Met Season

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#271 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

News flash:  Mariinsky's Shklyarov is now listed as Semionova's partner for the May 26 Bayadere on the ABT calendar

#272 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

It's shocking that ABT can't simply teach Theme and Variations, a one act ballet that's less than 25 minutes, to one of their own male dancers to fill in for Stearns.  Instead they have to  hire Veyette from NYCB.  This isn't the first time this has happened. ABT borrowed Damian Woetzel to dance w.Julie Kent a number of years ago in a Balanchine one act (maybe T&V, but I'm not certain).  It's like Deja Vu all over again.

I agree abatt that it's ridiculous that ABT can't use one if their own dancers.  I saw Veyette do T&V recently with NYCB and it was terrific.  I also heard him say in an interview that T&V was the equivalent of a final exam in ballet.  Even so ABT must have someone who could pass the exam.  There is time to prepare

I wonder what the negotiations were like.  Since NYCB ballet is performing at the same time it seems odd that one of their dancers be a guest across the plaza,

#273 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

It's great publicity for NYCB.  It makes McKenzie look ridiculous that nobody at ABT can fill in, so they have to go hire a dancer from their competitor across the plaza. This isn't some last minute emergency.  This is weeks away.  I liked Veyette very much in T&V, by the way.

The only Bayadere TBA is the one with Murphy.  Any chance they could persuade the MIA Hallberg to take that slot? He will be in Washington the week before appearing at the Kennedy Center with the Bolshoi.  I'd also be happy to see Bolle, but he hasn't done Bayadere at the Met in some time.  He may have retired that role.

#274 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

I agree abatt that it's ridiculous that ABT can't use one if their own dancers.  I saw Veyette do T&V recently with NYCB and it was terrific.  I also heard him say in an interview that T&V was the equivalent of a final exam in ballet.  Even so ABT must have someone who could pass the exam.  There is time to prepare

I wonder what the negotiations were like.  Since NYCB ballet is performing at the same time it seems odd that one of their dancers be a guest across the plaza,

Baryshnikov has said this was the most difficult choreography he ever performed. When it was over, he felt like his "legs would fall off."

#275 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

A press release with the casting for the first two weeks has been posted on the ABT site: http://www.abt.org/i...asp?News_ID=476

#276 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

News flash:  Mariinsky's Shklyarov is now listed as Semionova's partner for the May 26 Bayadere on the ABT calendar

I'm now doing a very accurate imitation of Margaret Hamilton after she was doused with water in "The Wizard of Oz."  So jealous.....

Also Tereshkina, Shklyarov, and Boylston a few days later (May 29)...

#277 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Well, I'm thrilled that Matthews and Tamm are going to get some more stage time in principal parts.  I had thought Tamm was in line for a soloist promotion, but he's seemed to stagnate in the past year or so.  Maybe this will help push him forward.

I wonder why Hammoudi was removed from the gala casting and replaced with Matthews?

However, I agree with what everyone else has said so far - it's embarrassing that ABT can't get one of their own to fill in for T&V.  And, embarrassing that when one of their principals (Stearns) becomes injured, KM has to bring in several guest stars to cover his roles.

#278 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, the Hammoudi issue is very puzzling.  Is he still in recovery mode?  His chances of being a rising star seem to be fading. 

I think McKenzie and Martins are probably friends, albeit competitors.  I've seen McKenzie at NYCB performances, and I've seen Martins at numerous ABT performances.  (I sat next to Martins and Kistler at an ABT performance a few years ago.)  I doubt McKenzie's request involved any high level donor maneuvers.

#279 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Wasn't Stearns scheduled with Semiomova for T&V? They've shifted that assignment to Whiteside, leaving Veyette with Gillian Murphy. After seeing numerous stellar performances of T&V at NYCB, and a lackluster ABT version last fall, I didn't plan on attending, but I can't resist the novelty of seeing Veyette at ABT. Can't wait!

#280 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

"Can you help me out here?" between AD's isn't that uncommon.  PNB's Seth Orza flew to San Francisco Ballet to dance the Ludlow partner in "Emeralds" when they had a crunch, through Tomasson's and Boal's agreement.  While it might have been recommended and brokered by someone who knows both companies, ultimately, there would have to have been a conversation between McKenzie and Martins.

#281 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

I do think Murphy and Veyette will be an awesome pairing!  

If Stearns is out the entire Met season (has that been confirmed yet?), I think Matthews in SL with Part could be interesting.  On a different thread here someone posted a link of those two dancing a segment from Ratmansky's (I can't remember the name of the piece).  They were surprising lovely together (I never envisioned them as a couple before). I believe SL would be a debut for him (he does ballroom von Rothbart), but that's two months away - plenty of time to teach it to him, in my opinion.  And, I think Matthews may be turning into another Gomes - a go-to filler-in-er.  Not a bad thing if it gets him promoted.

#282 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

"Can you help me out here?" between AD's isn't that uncommon.  PNB's Seth Orza flew to San Francisco Ballet to dance the Ludlow partner in "Emeralds," when they had a crunch, and Tomasson and Boal agreed to it.  While it might have been recommended and brokered by someone who knows both companies, ultimately, there would have to have been a conversation between McKenzie and Martins.

All true Helene, but what makes this special is that NYCB is performing at the same time as ABT - both in Lincoln Center.  Don't most ABT guest artists agree not to perform within a certain time or distance of their ABT shows?   Of course that would be impossible in this case.  I'm still amazed ABT couldn't go with someone in the company.

#283 DocM

DocM

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

I am curious to know how much influence the principals have on which partner they are cast with.  For example, can a principal with some seniority decide which partner they will dance with?

#284 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

[Admin beanie back on]

Please no speculation or statements about injuries and reasons for casting changes where there isn't official news from the mainstream press, curtain announcement, the dancer's own website/blog, dancer's Facebook "like" page or Twitter, slip in program, etc.

[Admin beanie back off]

#285 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

Semionova latest Uniqlo TV spot just aired as the Met season's just around the corner:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):