• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#241 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

So all the TBAs are now announced, and 6/7 matinee Manon is designated as Vishneva's 10th anniversary celebration.

#242 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

So all the TBAs are now announced, and 6/7 matinee Manon is designated as Vishneva's 10th anniversary celebration.

I was worried the 10th anniversary celebration would impact pricing, but luckily dynamic pricing does not seem to have kicked in for that performance...yet. I have to say I can't believe it has already been 10 years since Vishneva danced that first, sublime Giselle with Corella. I have been following her less in recent years as her dancing has become a bit more mannered, but I figured it was time to revisit her Giselle, and who knows how long she will keep coming back to ABT. I remember her as the Manon to see, and I can't wait to see her vamp it up in that role. (Well, we once had an embarrassment of riches with both her and Ferri in the role.)

#243 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:25 AM

I remember her first performances at ABT as being with Vladamir Malhakov, who was an early and ardent supporter of Vishneva. 

#244 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Don't know where to put this, ABT PR must be in high gear timed for the Met season. Profile of Gomes' apartment: http://www.nytimes.c...tchen.html?_r=0

Didn't know he and Vishneva rehearsed Camellia for 5 months the debut.

#245 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

Release on the opening gala (info on the program but not the casting:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE 2014 SPRING GALA

AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE,

MONDAY EVENING, MAY 12 AT 6:30P.M.

MRS. MICHELLE OBAMA TO SERVE AS HONORARY CHAIR

EMILY BLAVATNIK, NINA RENNERT DAVIDSON, NANCY McCORMICK,

KALLIOPE KARELLA RENA, MARY ELIZABETH SNOW, MONICA G-S WAMBOLD

TO CO-CHAIR ANNUAL OPENING NIGHT BENEFIT

Gala Evening Sponsored by LANVIN

American Ballet Theatre’s 2014 Spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House opens Monday, May 12 with the annual Spring Gala benefit at 6:30P.M.  Sponsored by LANVIN, the evening will feature ABT’s renowned Principal Dancers in preview performances from the eight-week season. 

Mrs. Michelle Obama will serve as Honorary Chair of ABT’s Spring Gala.  Emily Blavatnik, Nina Rennert Davidson, Nancy McCormick, Kalliope Karella Rena, Mary Elizabeth Snow and Monica G-S Wambold will serve as Co-Chairs.

Vice Chairs for the evening include Cecile Andrau-Martel, Valentino Carlotti, Donna and Richard Esteves, Susan Feinstein, Victoria Phillips, Martin and Toni Sosnoff and Sutton Stracke.  Junior Co-Chairs for the evening are Sarah Arison, Julia Spillman-Gover and Mark Tashkovich.

A portion of the proceeds from the Spring Gala will support ABT’s education and community outreach programs.

American Ballet Theatre’s Spring Gala performance will feature selections from the season’s full-length ballets including Don Quixote, Cinderella, Coppélia,

La Bayadère, The Dream, Giselle and Manon.  The evening will also include a performance by students from The Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at ABT, Jiří

Kylián’s Nuages and excerpts from Gaîté Parisienne.

A Gala dinner at The Tent at Lincoln Center will immediately follow the performance.  Gala benefit tickets priced at $1,500, $2,500, $3,500 and $5,000 include the performance and post-performance dinner and dancing.  For Gala benefit ticket information only, call American Ballet Theatre’s Special Events office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3310.

Performance-only tickets, beginning at $25, are available online, at the Metropolitan Opera House box office or by calling 212-362-6000.  For more information, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

#246 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

Oh, students in excerpts from Gaite -- that should be great fun!

#247 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

I didn't read it to mean that the students would perform in  the Kylian work or Gaite.

#248 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

Oops -- got too excited there.

#249 Kaysta

Kaysta

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

I just added on tickets for Manon for Vishneva's 10th anniversary performance.  Given that I already spent money on five other shows this ABT season, I didn't want to spend alot of money and ended up in the dress circle boxes.  Hopefully I'll be able to see most of the stage.

#250 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

ABT has posted the opening night gala performance w. casting. Stearns is not on the list of performers.  I think it's reasonable to conclude he will not make it to his Don Q assignments during week one. Who is his replacement and when will they tell us?   I wonder if he we will be out the entire season.

The only other ABT dancer cast as Basilio who is tall enough to partner Semionova is Whiteside.  Will they have Gomes step into Basilio, as he did in Washington DC.? 

I wish Stearns all the best, but I've been waiting YEARS for them to partner Part w. either Gomes or Bolle in SL.  If that happens, I will get myself to the box office as fast as possible to buy a tix for Part's Wed matinee SL.

#251 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

I'm on the same page - I sincerely wish Stearns a good recovery (he was out most of the season before last as well, right?) - however, I do have tix for Parts Wed matinee SL and I'd love it to be with Gomes. I saw them together in Nutcracker in December and they are glorious together! PS - I wouldn't mind Bolle either!

#252 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

ABT has posted the opening night gala performance w. casting. Stearns is not on the list of performers.  I think it's reasonable to conclude he will not make it to his Don Q assignments during week one. Who is his replacement and when will they tell us?   I wonder if he we will be out the entire season.

The only other ABT dancer cast as Basilio who is tall enough to partner Semionova is Whiteside.  Will they have Gomes step into Basilio, as he did in Washington DC.? 

I wish Stearns all the best, but I've been waiting YEARS for them to partner Part w. either Gomes or Bolle in SL.  If that happens, I will get myself to the box office as fast as possible to buy a tix for Part's Wed matinee SL.

I just checked the ABT calendar and noticed that Whiteside is scheduled with Part for the Bayadere. I remember that having been a TBA, not sure when they updated it.

No offense to Corey but I agree 100%  with abatt - while I wouldn't consider taking time off work to see him and Part in Swan lake I will ABSOLUTELY take 2 days off - 1 to rush out an get the tickets and another to go to the matinee - if they schedule Gomes or Bolle with her for that SL. I would probably even go if they cast Whiteside. I'm not crazy about him but I think they could be good together.

As much as Corey has improved he just comes across as too immature to be her Siegfried, and I've been waiting and waiting for "the powers that be" to give this greatest of Odettes  a suitable partner once again.

#253 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

I hope the folks at ABT are reading this and will act accordingly.

With Stearns out, there is now a shortage of tall men for the season.  Since Hallberg is unavailable, this leaves only Gomes and Whitside for all the tall girl assignments. For whatever reason, they don't cast Bolle much.   Maybe they are planning to throw the not-yet-ready Hammoudi into the fire and see what happens.

#254 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Someone spotted Mathias Heymann just north of Union Square, a block or 2 from ABT HQ when he's in town for YAGP. I wonder if he had a meeting at ABT. Or he just happened to be in the hood? Last minute guests are not uncommon at ABT. Or it could be nothing, that area is very popular with visitors anyway.

#255 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Someone spotted Mathias Heymann just north of Union Square, a block or 2 from ABT HQ when he's in town for YAGP. I wonder if he had a meeting at ABT. Or he just happened to be in the hood? Last minute guests are not uncommon at ABT. Or it could be nothing, that area is very popular with visitors anyway.

Or Heymann could have just been taking class w/ ABT.  

Since Hammoudi is the only soloist listed to dance in the opening gala, it's reasonable to assume that he's replacing Stearns in whatever role he would have had.  I wouldn't be surprise if Gomes gets some of his parts (to save the day, again, so to speak).  I don't remember how much shorter Gorak is than Stearns, but he could be a very interesting and deserved replacement for some parts (not for a heavy hitter type of role, but possibly for Gaite Parisienne or Cinderella).  Gorak and Stearns do share the Poet role in Les Sylphides.  Should be interesting whatever the casting gods decide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):