• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#226 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

Vasiliev is scheduled to dance DQ with ABT in DC on 4/20, let's see if he's going to show without the "O" factor.

I've had the sense from his Twitter account and YouTube channel (which are very active) that he's trying to show he's a star in his own right, dancing alone and with other partners (even Don Q).  His partners in DC and NY (Herrera and Reyes) look like good choices for him -- not just size-wise; they're unlikely to come close to his pyrotechnics, making him look even better (or so he might think).

#227 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

I think Vasiliev must know he's a star, with or without Osipova. He can pick and choose where and what he dances.  He gets invitations from numerous major ballet companies, in addition to doing these Kings of Dance shows.  He danced with Cojocaru when ABT last performed Bayadere, and they worked well together.  (Misty Copeland's Gamzatti, however, was overshadowed by the other leads, in my opinion.) I also saw him do Spartacus in DC when he was still w. the Bolshoi, and Osipova was not on that tour. His performance was  excellent. 

#228 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,210 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Vasiliev may be a star, but he's not the celebrity that Osipova is.  There are far more ballets where there's much more for the woman to do and where she's the focus.  Even in Don Q, she's got the Dream act.

#229 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Vasiliev's kind of a gala performer. For a gala, it's hard to top his huge split leaps and barrel turns and what not. But I've seen him in full-lengths where the tricks wear thin after three acts. Osipova's a much more complete, diverse dancer. 

#230 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

I think Vasiliev is perceived as a gala performer, but has the ability to also be a dramatic performer.  I thought he was quite good in Bayadere and Spartacus, and I'm not just talking about the technical aspects of the roles. I thought he inhabited the role of Solor as a character. He was charming  and engaging in Coppelia a few years ago w. Xiomara Reyes at ABT.  Since he does not have a danseur's physique, he is generally not offered the heavy duty dramatic roles like Albrecht or Siegfried (except perhaps at the Mik).  He is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in Giselle when the Mik comes to NYC.  He is definitely not a one trick pony. 

#231 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

I think Vasiliev is perceived as a gala performer, but has the ability to also be a dramatic performer.  I thought he was quite good in Bayadere and Spartacus, and I'm not just talking about the technical aspects of the roles. I thought he inhabited the role of Solor as a character. ... He is definitely not a one trick pony. 

Very much agree with this assessment. Actually I thought he was really compelling in Spartacus, but also very good in Bayadere -- and just a treat to watch as Orion in Ashton's Sylvia, too, though that's not a "star" role. I feel he could be a major presence in future with the right decisions (from him) and right guidance and opportunities (from others). Plus the usual luck that seems to have to be in play for everyone who has a great career...

I think he will continue to get opportunities, but it would be a shame if ABT couldn't quite figure out what to do with him. (Thinking off the beaten track of his current ABT rep, I think he might be quite entertaining as Lescaut in Manon.)

#232 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:27 AM

I'm not sure that his lack of casting for the upcoming ABT season can be blamed on McKenzie. For all we know, McKenzie may have offered him additional appearances but he refused.  Given the wonderful reviews Vasiliev received in Coppelia and Bayadere  at ABT in previous seasons, I would have assumed those roles would be offered again. He would also have made a wonderful Puck.  Notably, there were TBA slots Bayadere and Coppelia male roles roles for some time.  Vasiliev creates excitement in the house and good press in the papers. McKenzie is no fool when it comes to selling tickets. 

If Reyes' partner for Coppelia would have been Vasiliev, I would have bought a ticket. Without him, I have zero interest in seeing that performance as it is presently cast.

#233 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Not to be shallow but I can't help but get a visual of Vasiliev as Puck jumping into the arms of Oberon and taking both of them out. But then Gomes could probably handle it. Sorry.

#234 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

Vasiliev as Puck? What an intriguing idea--I'd never have thought of it. Apropos the Coppelia casting: I disagree. I wish Cornejo weren't dancing with Misty, but so be it--I'm going just to see him.

#235 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

Is anyone going to the Met box office tomorrow to exchange tickets.  What time does the line start??

#236 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:21 AM

Is anyone going to the Met box office tomorrow to exchange tickets.  What time does the line start??

I'm going. The box office opens at noon.

#237 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:26 AM

I'm going. The box office opens at noon.

Great!  Do you know if there is a crazy line up before?  Do people go at like 8 am? 

#238 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

I arrived just before 10:30 and was number 16 in line. The issue today was that for whatever reason we were kept waiting outside in the very cold weather until 11:30. As soon as the box office opened at noon it went very quickly. But the line had grown very long by then.

#239 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

I arrived around 11 and was about #30.  Confirmed what Barbara said above.  The line  did move very quickly.  There were 4 windows open and I was out by 12:30.

#240 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

The Met was a ghost town by 3 PM.  No line whatsoever at that time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):