This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2014 Met Season

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#166 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

Macaulay also praised E Obratzova in the same review. She would be a great guest to the spring season.

I'm still hoping for more opportunities for the home team.

#167 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

Gabe Stone Shayer's former classmate at the Bolshoi's affiliated school, Joy Womack, would be a great addition to the ABT corps. I'd love to see her at ABT by the time that the Met season rolls around.

I'll never forget Gabe and Joy's respective soloist performances at the Kennedy Center two years ago, when the Bolshoi's school participated in Proteges with Lavrovsky's Classical Symphony (to Prokofiev). I believe that Joy and one of the academy's teachers, Ilya Kuznetsov (not the Ilya Kuznetsov from St P and the Mariinsky), were in NYC a few months ago, taking in local classes, shoe fittings, etc., as per Joy's on-line blog. So the ballet community in NY knows her.

#168 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

I realize it is still six months away, but travel plans in May / June mean that I'll be away from New York for part of the spring season.  So I'm wondering, out of the spring schedule, which are the ones not to be missed?   So far, I'm thinking Manon and Giselle.  Coppelia will be at NYCB in February so I could see it then.  But I've still only been to a few ballets, so I really have no idea.  

#169 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Well, the TBA cast for two performances of Manon have been filled in. The leads are Reyes and Matvienko, with the secondary roles filled by Boylston and Radetsky.  I was hoping the TBA Manon would be Cojocaru, but no such luck. 

#170 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Well, the TBA cast for two performances of Manon have been filled in. The leads are Reyes and Matvienko, with the secondary roles filled by Boylston and Radetsky.  I was hoping the TBA Manon would be Cojocaru, but no such luck. 

I can't say I'm too excited about this casting, either, and I had assumed that ABT was holding those spots for a potential guest star. It's actually shaping up to be more of a "home team" season than in some recent years.

I see there is also initial casting up for Gaite Parisienne--the two casts are Part/Stearns and Seo/Gomes. I'm not at all familiar with the ballet, but perhaps others can deduce which roles they will be dancing. Always exciting to see Part take up a new role! 

#171 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

I see there is also initial casting up for Gaite Parisienne--the two casts are Part/Stearns and Seo/Gomes. I'm not at all familiar with the ballet, but perhaps others can deduce which roles they will be dancing. Always exciting to see Part take up a new role! 

This is so interesting -- at one point in the history of ballet in the US, I don't think you could find someone who was following the art form who wasn't very familiar with Gaite -- it was that ubiquitous.  Now it's performed rarely, by a small number of companies.

Olivier Wevers, who had been a principal at Pacific Northwest Ballet until he left to start his own, more contemporary company, just had a program with a work to the score for Les Sylphides.  His version is utterly different (a salacious dinner party) but it was fascinating to realize that many, probably most, of the people in the audience had not seen the Fokine.  If you asked them if they were ballet 'fans' they would likely say yes, but it's a work that hasn't been performed in the Seattle area in years, except for student shows.  And yet a work that used to be in almost every performance of the Ballet Russe is unknown to them...

#172 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

I can't say I'm too excited about this casting, either, and I had assumed that ABT was holding those spots for a potential guest star. It's actually shaping up to be more of a "home team" season than in some recent years.

Just my luck to be out of the country for Part's debut in Gaite Parisienne as well as her Bayadere!

Not to pick nits (okay, picking nits), but you would think that the people who keep the ABT calendar would know how to spell the name of their own ballet!

#173 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Re - Gaite Parisienne, if I remember correctly from the old ABT production, there are 3 good female roles and 3 good male roles.  I remember Roni Mahler being good as the "flower girl" (I think, correct me if I'm wrong)

The other casting is a disappointment.  Maybe others will disagree, but Misty Copeland in Duo Concertant is just wrong.  I just don't think she has the delicacy and lightness to do it.  

#174 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Frankly, I can't think of anyone at ABT who I would want to see in Duo (okay, maybe Gomes).  NYCB has done such a great job with that ballet these last few years, that I think anyone ABT puts out there is going to look bad in comparison. 

#175 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:12 AM

Here's a video of the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo doing Gaite Parisienne.  It's a compilation of scenes shot over the period 1945-54, with sound taken from a 1954 performance.  Cast is headed by:  Alexandra Danilova, Frederick Franklin, and Leon Danielian.  The sound quality is not good, and most of the shots are definitely amateur, but it gives you a sense of what this looked like in performance at the time, including the frequent  freneticism of both Massine's choreography and Offenbach's music.

#176 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:50 AM

The DVD of the video Bart posted above has a delightful commentary track by Franklin.

#177 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

The role that Part would likely dance is the Glove Seller which Alexandra Danilova created and Susan Jaffe performed when it was revived by ABT over two decades ago.  I missed a later performance with Alessandra Ferri and Julio Bocca (I think as the Peruvian).  The other female roles -  the Flower Seller and Can-Can Dancer - are pretty minor and can be performed by soloist or corps dancers.  I guess that Stearns would be in Freddy Franklin's old role as the Baron and so would Gomes (though he might be inspired casting in the goofy comedy role of the Peruvian).  The Peruvian was created by Massine for himself and is done by a shorter demi-caractere dancer.  BTW: all the of secondary roles and corps choreography basically are musical comedy and can-can dancing.  You really don't need a large classically trained corps to do this work - four classical dancers in technically undemanding roles and musical theater dancers for the rest.  Typical of the early days of American ballet when large dance academies didn't really exist and classically trained dancers - especially men - were scarce.  Many ballet men started in other areas of dance and got trained in ballet as teens or adults - i.e. Freddy Franklin and others.

#178 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

I just noticed that the three big remaining TBD performances (the 5/28 Bayadere and the  6/12 and 6/14 Cinderella performances) are all unavailable on the 1829 Club subscription for young balletgoers. They generally black out dates that are anticipated to be big sells, so I wonder if ABT is still banking on a guest star for those performances. It would now seem unlikely that they are holding those performances for more junior members of the company to learn the roles. Also, none of the dates would seem to make sense for a yet-to-be-announced retirement performance (if one is coming.) 

#179 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

Would anyone know when exactly the individual tickets to the 2014 Met Season will go on sale for the non-subscribers?

Thanks in advance!

#180 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

Would anyone when exactly the individual tickets to the 2014 Met Season will go on sale for the non-subscribers?

Thanks in advance!

Just to follow up on that question -- I'm also wondering if anyone can speak to the advantages of doing a Trio subscription versus waiting for single ticket sales. I really like being able to pick out my actual seat, but I realize those tickets can't be exchanged. Have people had good experiences with seats provided in the Trio subscriptions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):