This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2014 Met Season

I see there is also initial casting up for Gaite Parisienne--the two casts are Part/Stearns and Seo/Gomes. I'm not at all familiar with the ballet, but perhaps others can deduce which roles they will be dancing. Always exciting to see Part take up a new role!

The role that Part would likely dance is the Glove Seller which Alexandra Danilova created and Susan Jaffe performed when it was revived by ABT over two decades ago. I missed a later performance with Alessandra Ferri and Julio Bocca (I think as the Peruvian). The other female roles - the Flower Seller and Can-Can Dancer - are pretty minor and can be performed by soloist or corps dancers. I guess that Stearns would be in Freddy Franklin's old role as the Baron and so would Gomes (though he might be inspired casting in the goofy comedy role of the Peruvian). The Peruvian was created by Massine for himself and is done by a shorter demi-caractere dancer. BTW: all the of secondary roles and corps choreography basically are musical comedy and can-can dancing. You really don't need a large classically trained corps to do this work - four classical dancers in technically undemanding roles and musical theater dancers for the rest. Typical of the early days of American ballet when large dance academies didn't really exist and classically trained dancers - especially men - were scarce. Many ballet men started in other areas of dance and got trained in ballet as teens or adults - i.e. Freddy Franklin and others.

I just noticed that the three big remaining TBD performances (the 5/28 Bayadere and the 6/12 and 6/14 Cinderella performances) are all unavailable on the 1829 Club subscription for young balletgoers. They generally black out dates that are anticipated to be big sells, so I wonder if ABT is still banking on a guest star for those performances. It would now seem unlikely that they are holding those performances for more junior members of the company to learn the roles. Also, none of the dates would seem to make sense for a yet-to-be-announced retirement performance (if one is coming.)

Would anyone when exactly the individual tickets to the 2014 Met Season will go on sale for the non-subscribers?

Thanks in advance!

Just to follow up on that question -- I'm also wondering if anyone can speak to the advantages of doing a Trio subscription versus waiting for single ticket sales. I really like being able to pick out my actual seat, but I realize those tickets can't be exchanged. Have people had good experiences with seats provided in the Trio subscriptions?

Regarding the Trio subscriptions, I'm typically in the balcony, so I'm not sure if my comments below are applicable for the lower rings or the orchestra section:

If you want to go to at least three of the performances with popular principals in the lead roles, then you are likely to get much better seats in the Trio subscription than if you wait until individual seats become available. Occasionally, though, tickets for good seats get returned (or exchanged), so if you are able to check availability every day you might score front-row seats in the section of your choice. Also, if your preference is to attend Wednesday matinees, when soloists are commonly cast in the lead roles, or if you are not particular about casting and flexible about dates, then you will probably find some good seats available later this spring.

I just noticed that the three big remaining TBD performances (the 5/28 Bayadere and the 6/12 and 6/14 Cinderella performances) are all unavailable on the 1829 Club subscription for young balletgoers. They generally black out dates that are anticipated to be big sells, so I wonder if ABT is still banking on a guest star for those performances. It would now seem unlikely that they are holding those performances for more junior members of the company to learn the roles. Also, none of the dates would seem to make sense for a yet-to-be-announced retirement performance (if one is coming.)

Your hunch could be correct. I haven't heard anything on the 6/12 & 6/14 Cinderella TBA castings yet, if you don't mind taking a little risk, I'd suggest you to go ahead to buy the 5/28 Bayadere.

Unless I'm looking at the casting wrong, there's not as many Guest Artist's this Met season? Only Kotchekova, Matvienko, and Cojocaru; the former whom only has 1 performance so far. Maybe McKenzie is deciding after those scathing exiting interviews from Messmer/ Dvorovenko about the low company morale due to too many gust artists, and the recent exits from long time corps members, to give more opportunities for ABT dancers? No complaints from me if so.

There are a lot of performers at ABT who are not technically "guest artists", but in reality are just that. As examples, I would list Vishneva, Hallberg, Bolle and Vasiliev. While some of these people have a long history with ABT, the reality is that their appearances are minimal. Hallberg's numero uno devotion is now to the Bolshoi.

There are a lot of performers at ABT who are not technically "guest artists", but in reality are just that. As examples, I would list Vishneva, Hallberg, Bolle and Vasiliev. While some of these people have a long history with ABT, the reality is that their appearances are minimal. Hallberg's numero uno devotion is now to the Bolshoi.

Ah, that is true. sad.png I don't know why I didn't think of that and got my hopes up, lol.

Although I don't really care for her, they atleast have given Boylston a good amount of Met performances.

It makes me sad to think of Hallberg as a de facto guest artist at ABT. Although I understand his hunger to challenge himself artistically I miss the opportunity of seeing him as often as before he joined the Bolshoi. The coming years will be interesting to follow.

On the matter of subscriptions, two questions:

If I buy a make your own subscription, do I get to choose actual seats? On the website, there doesn't seem to be an option for that, only to choose which section.

And, can I exchange a ticket for any performance? So if I wanted to change a Weds night Swan Lake to a Monday Manon, can I do that, or does it have to be for the same ballet?

For ABT you cannot choose exact seats for any type of subscription. If you are a subscriber you can exchange for almost any performance ( not opening night and not a gala if there is another). Day of week or performance does not matter, but you will have to pay any additional cost or contribute any refundable amount.

Some time ago, somebody asked when single tickets go on sale. I couldn't find an answer anywhere on the ABT or Met sites -- but I just got an e-mail from ABT with a last-minute plea to order a subscription: ". . . for best available seats before individual tickets go on sale to the general public on March 30. " So, I guess that's it!