This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2014 Met Season

A Burlaka-staged Paquita would be a wonderful addition to the 2014 Met season or 2014Koch season.

I would love to see this staging at the Met. I watched it on youtube and it was simply wonderful.

However ABT has the Makarova verison already in it's rep and most likely they would perform that verison if they ever decide to bring that ballet back - which is marvelous in it's own right. I believe Makarova based it on the verison currently being performed at the Mariinsky.

As for Antony Tudor...yes he's a speical brand type of choreographer. I mean you certainly can't perform a full evening of his ballets and expect to have a full house. I mean his best ballets are somber ballets and they're not easily performed. You just can't dance the steps. You have to understand the steps and use them in order to create a moody atmosphere. And no he wasn't a prolific choreographer. He only has a small hand full of ballets that could be regarded as classics or even masterpieces. But in his own unique way he did have a profound impact on ballet and I do think ABT should pay honor to that impact. After all Kevin McKenzie loves saying that Tudor was once the "moral conscience" of ABT. One ballet of Tudor's I would LOVE to see revive is Echoing of Trumpets. I've never seen it but from everything I've read it's regarded as one of Tudor's greatest ballets and it's a pretty large ballet at least by Tudor standard. I think it would be a ballet that would hugely challenge the dancers at ABT and I think many in the audience would love to see that challenge. IMO.

One problem with Les Sylphides is that it's often danced as if it's mostly of interest to ballet historians, but it can be brought to life and ABT has the dancers to do so if properly coached (a big 'if' I know). "Theme and Variations" is also from ABT's "past," though it's Balanchine and danced, now, as part of Tchaikovsky Suite no. 3 at NYCB. I appreciate having it live on in its original (or more or less original) form as an independent work.

Drew I so agree about T&V in ABT and that we don't need 2 Balanchine companies. As for Tudor - I'd love it if they kept Lilac Garden in the rep.

I too remember those mixed bill days with lesser ballets, but there were so many more rep performances that I didn't mind it so much. I agree with Jayne, I wouldn't mind Tetley's Voluntaries coming back.

The season will start with Don Q, then followed by half week of a mixed program called "Classics Splendor", then Bayadere, and Manon. And the season will end with half week of all Shakespearean program and half week of Coppélia, which will be broken into 2 half week runs. Here is the revised list:

Don Q

Classics Splendor

La Bayadere

Manon

Giselle

Ashton Cinderella

Swan Lake

Coppélia

All Shakespearean

So 7 full lengths, and 2 mixed programs. And a former principal is scheduled for one performance. I am glad that Manon will run against Mid Summer's Night Dream across the plaza so I can concentrate on MSND. There's a limit of how many dramatic ballets I can see in a week. There's no limit on Petipa and Balanchine.

Angel Corella?beg.gif

Well, I would think it would either be Corella, Carreno or Steifel. Since Julie Kent is always desperately in need of a mature partner, I'll guess Carreno but will hope for Corella.

Speaking of Kent, are we to assume that she is still fighting the good fight and will continue to perform into the indefinite future?

Angel Corella?beg.gif

Well, I would think it would either be Corella, Carreno or Steifel. Since Julie Kent is always desperately in need of a mature partner, I'll guess Carreno but will hope for Corella.

Speaking of Kent, are we to assume that she is still fighting the good fight and will continue to perform into the indefinite future?

How is she desperately in need of a mature partner? She is always paired with Roberto or Marcello. She seems to have first pick.

Marcelo, if possible , would,probably, want to dance with himself as partner.happy.png

EVERYONE wants to dance with Marcelo, and there isn't enough Marcelo to go around. I suspect that Vishneva has an unwritten rule that she will only dance with Marcelo in full length ballets, since that is de facto what has been happening the last few years.

This is a total pipe dream, but would Ferri come back to dance Manon with Bolle? I wonder if she may at least be coming back to do some coaching, as I imagine there may be some new Manons for this revival (Seo? Murphy?).

I agree that it's more likely that a male principal may be coming back. If I had to guess, I would say that Kent has requested that one of her partners from the past come back to ABT to dance with her for a farewell performance. Of the ballets listed by Mussel, only Manon, Giselle, Swan Lake, and The Dream are still in Kent's repertoire, I believe. Between Corella, Carreno, and Stiefel, I'm not sure who would be in the best shape to hop back onstage again.

It seems odd to bring a former principal back for just once performance, so that's why I imagine it must be for some sort of special event.

Then again, there is a whole range of character roles, as well. Perhaps a former male principal will be one of the step sisters for the premiere of Cinderella??? Murphy seems a likely choice for the premiere of Cinderella. Could Stiefel be her step sister?

I thought Kent retired The Dream from her rep. Did she do it during the last run?

From some articles I've read, Ferri feels like she may have left the stage too soon. I guess it could be Ferri coming back for one show. We'll know in a few weeks, unless mussel's crystal ball can tell us sooner.

I agree that it's more likely that a male principal may be coming back. If I had to guess, I would say that Kent has requested that one of her partners from the past come back to ABT to dance with her for a farewell performance. Of the ballets listed by Mussel, only Manon, Giselle, Swan Lake, and The Dream are still in Kent's repertoire, I believe. Between Corella, Carreno, and Stiefel, I'm not sure who would be in the best shape to hop back onstage again.

I won't try to connect the dots here, but Kent danced recently at Carreno's Sarasota Festival:

http://carrenodancefestival.com/performance-and-ticket-information/

And Carreno recently performed Basilio with San Jose Ballet, which he now directs, although he also says his "dancing days are over."

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Ballet-San-Jose-s-new-artistic-director-4610734.php

I see in the ballet talk forums that Julie did dance Titania with Gomes in the 2012 run of The Dream. I saw her and Gomes in the previous run of The Dream, maybe 3-4 years ago, and she was absolutely lovely.

Carreno was always outstanding as Des Grieux. It seems like Manon would be a good vehicle for Kent's farewell (if she is in fact retiring this year), and she's set to dance the role in Japan this winter. But saying goodbye with Manon would mean that she'd depart relatively early in the season and not dance a Giselle, Swan Lake, or Dream. I suppose the Shakespeare evening could work as a farewell, though she doesn't appear to be cast in the Tempest this fall.

Okay, I'll stop speculating for now!

I think the "former" principal might refer to Osipova. Perhaps we might get her "Swan Lake"?

Don Q: I'll get another chance to see Part as Kitri - hopefully not a matinee. Otherwise, yawn...

Classics Splendor: what are the splendors revealed in this program?

La Bayadere: I get to catch up on Semionova and Ivan Vasiliev who I missed last time.

Manon: something for Julie Kent and Vishneva but also Cojocaru if ABT still is inviting her as an annual guest.

Giselle: Since Gillian has unveiled her Giselle in NZ maybe she will bring the title role to NYC? What about Part?

Ashton Cinderella: okay I am excited about this. WIll Gillian get the opening night? Another brilliant redhead allegro technician created it - Moira Shearer. Margot Fonteyn was the original casting choice but was injured - she later made it her own. Julie Julie Kent would have been a gorgeous Ashton Cinderella 15 years ago. I suspect Kevin will push Hee Seo into this - I hope her technique is up to it. Part is a good choice. Boylston will get some performances - maybe the opening night!

Swan Lake: perhaps Osipova unveiling her Odette/Odile - otherwise, yawn...

Coppélia: this doesn't have any interesting casting possiblities for me. I have seen everyone in it.

All Shakespearean: "The Dream", "The Tempest" and "Moor's Pavane"? Vishneva and Kent were lovely as Titania but another good guest role for Cojocaru.

Casting suggestions:

Cojocaru as Titania, Ashton Cinderella, Odette/Odile, Manon, Giselle etc.

Osipova as Odette/Odile (Giselle, Coppelia, Kitri but I suspect she is booked)

Gillian Murphy as Giselle, Ashton Cinderella

Denis Matvienko as Basilio, Albrecht, Siegfried

Joseph Gorak as Albrecht, Des Grieux, Prince in Cinderella

Sarah Lane as Manon, Coppelia, Cinderella

Presumably Hammoudi will be back in action by the spring season, so perhaps he will be able to debut in some of the roles he had been preparing before his injury. However, you can never bet on that. Abrera learned Giselle, but never danced it at ABT after she got injured.

Since ABT is rolling out new costumes for Theme & Variations, I would guess that T&V will be one of the splendors. I miss Lilac Garden. I wish that they would revive it. Second choice would be a revival of the Leaves are Fading.

Since Murphy is so good as Myrta, I want her to keep it in her rep. Maybe she could dance Myrta one night and Giselle the next?

Given all the hoopla surrounding Misty Copeland lately, I'd be surprised if they didn't give her a lead role in something.

Given all the hoopla surrounding Misty Copeland lately, I'd be surprised if they didn't give her a lead role in something.

According to this recent interview, Copeland is preparing the lead in Coppelia and will premiere it in NYC in the opening night cast:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/misty-copeland-memoir-exclusive_n_3982378.html

"And most exciting will be my preparation for the role of Swanilda in the ballet 'Coppelia.' This will be my first full-length classical ballet as the first lead. I will premiere it in Abu Dhabi at the end of March and then in our spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House as the opening night cast."

Wow, isn't this announcement a little premature. ABT hasn't given out casting yet, and a lot can happen before the Met season. Personally I don't see Swanilda as great role for M. Copeland, but I know her fans will disagree. Do the other dancers in ABT know what's in store for them for the Met season?

Wow, isn't this announcement a little premature. ABT hasn't given out casting yet, and a lot can happen before the Met season. Personally I don't see Swanilda as great role for M. Copeland, but I know her fans will disagree. Do the other dancers in ABT know what's in store for them for the Met season?

At least in recent years, the first mailing about the spring Met season, including principal casting, has gone out in mid-October. A few things change by the time the season rolls around, but not that much. So, presumably, negotiations with principals are nearly complete, if not already done. That first mailer is promoting subscriptions and single tickets typically don't go on sale until the first Sunday in April, but at least in recent years, there are still plenty of great seats available in April.

At least in recent years, the first mailing about the spring Met season, including principal casting, has gone out in mid-October. A few things change by the time the season rolls around, but not that much. So, presumably, negotiations with principals are nearly complete, if not already done. That first mailer is promoting subscriptions and single tickets typically don't go on sale until the first Sunday in April, but at least in recent years, there are still plenty of great seats available in April.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I usually only subscribe to NYCB, so even though I live in NYC I'm not too up on ABT. I usually go to see rep nights and full lengths very selectively. I wouldn't buy a ticket to see M. Copeland as Swanilda.

One problem with Les Sylphides is that it's often danced as if it's mostly of interest to ballet historians, but it can be brought to life and ABT has the dancers to do so if properly coached (a big 'if' I know).

I'm very excited about Chopiniana. I will be jumping again on a plane just for it. This ballet is deeply engraved in my memory and heart, and was a staple of my Alonso's company all the way until I left Cuba-(it was actually on the very last program I ever saw over there...(sight)..).

I can't wait for the magical Glazunov orchestration of Chopin and the swirling Sylphs...

One problem with Les Sylphides is that it's often danced as if it's mostly of interest to ballet historians, but it can be brought to life and ABT has the dancers to do so if properly coached (a big 'if' I know).

I'm very excited about Chopiniana. I will be jumping again on a plane just for it. This ballet is deeply engraved in my memory and heart, and was a staple of my Alonso's company all the way until I left Cuba-(it was actually on the very last program I ever saw over there...(sight)..).

I can't wait for the magical Glazunov orchestration of Chopin and the swirling Sylphs...

It is wonderful. The best performances I ever saw of it were probably with the Kirov in the 80's--maybe early 90's. I also loved Baryshnikov as the male lead with ABT in the early 80's. Actually my favorite Baryshnikov performance.

I believe it was reported that for the Fall season revival ABT would be using a "lost" (and now found) Benjamin Britten orchestration.