This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2014 Met Season

My prediction for 2014 Met season, partial almost complete list:

La Bayadere
Giselle
Manon
The Dream (part of all Shakespearean program)
Company premier of an Ashton full length Cinderella

It'll be Diana Vishneva's 10th anniversary with ABT next year. I'll fill in more when my crystal ball becomes clearer.

Edited to add:
Swan Lake
Coppelia
Don Q

Edited to add a mixed rep program called Classics Splendor.

Edited by mussel

My prediction for 2014 Met season, partial list:

La Bayadere

Giselle

Manon

The Dream

Company premier of an Ashton full length

It'll be Diana Vishneva's 10th anniversary with ABT next year. I'll fill in more when my crystal ball becomes clearer.

This is just a guess but I bet the Ashton full length will be Cinderella.

My prediction for 2014 Met season, partial list:

La Bayadere

Giselle

Manon

The Dream

Company premier of an Ashton full length

This is just a guess but I bet the Ashton full length will be Cinderella.

Two Ashtons in a season? mmmm?? Would that it could be "La Fille Mal Gardee" rather than "Cinderella" Or here's a long shot. A "Daphnes and Chloe" Guess that wouldn't sell tickets, but I can wish.

There aren't that many Ashton full-evening ballets; the only two that ABT hasn't done are Ondine and Cinderella. I really doubt that it would be Ondine, given the audience expectation for traditional music, use of stars in traditional-looking roles, tutus-tiaras. [unless the Board sees Ondine as a perfect vehicle for lyricists like Julie Kent and Hee Seo?] Then again, 'full-length' could be a one acter with full sets/costumes like The Dream or Month in Country...so maybe it will be Enigma Variations? Imagine Vasiliev, Simkin or Cornejo dancing Dowell's big variation!

CINDERELLA has been named as the ballet in question by a colleague who gets information before it's officially announced.

that said, as another writer in Ashton asked: yes, but which production? meaning which physical production, designed by whom? will it be an extant one, borrowed from another company? or a brand new one?

no further information.

Thanks, rg. Oh, Lordie...I hope it's not redesigned into an El Cheapo production by some minimalist designer from Argentina or Latvia. Or (shudder) Ashton's Cinderella in the designs of the Ratmansky Mariinsky version, with the 'glamorous' scaffolding and two big poles in the middle of the stage!

I'd love to see the sets/costumes of the Royal's version of Cinderella, as used in the 60s and 70s, with C's big ballroom entrance on pointe, down the long staircase!

I hope that if it's Vishneva's anniversary, she will agree to do more than 2 or 3 performances of full lengths next season.

On a separate note, I don't see the obligatory Swan Lake up on the list. Could they be giving that a rest after doing it every season for 15 plus years?

I hope that if it's Vishneva's anniversary, she will agree to do more than 2 or 3 performances of full lengths next season.

On a separate note, I don't see the obligatory Swan Lake up on the list. Could they be giving that a rest after doing it every season for 15 plus years?

Maybe, Ratmansky is preparing his version of Swan lake.

...On a separate note, I don't see the obligatory Swan Lake up on the list. Could they be giving that a rest after doing it every season for 15 plus years?

I noticed that, abatt. Maybe the McKenzie is being put into mothballs, to make way for a Ratmansky Swan Lake in 2015? [Edited: We just had the same thought, at the same time, bingham. Funny thing.]

Triple bills should be ideal for touring but somehow I don't see ABT touring 'the regions' and 'middle America' with an all-Shostakovich 3ple bill and filling seats, like it does in NYC...maybe SanFco or on an overseas tour. Would it play in Peoria? Hence, I'd be surprised not to see at least a 'short weekend run' of the Ratmansky-Shostakovich 3ple Bill at the MET in 2014. It was paid for & must be 'used' more than once (besides the pre-agreed runs in San Fco and Amsterdam). It may eventually pop-up in mussell's fabulous xtal ball for MET-2014.

Triple bills should be ideal for touring but somehow I don't see ABT touring 'the regions' and 'middle America' with an all-Shostakovich 3ple bill and filling seats, like it does in NYC...maybe SanFco or on an overseas tour. Would it play in Peoria? Hence, I'd be surprised not to see at least a 'short weekend run' of the Ratmansky-Shostakovich 3ple Bill at the MET in 2014. It was paid for & must be 'used' more than once (besides the pre-agreed runs in San Fco and Amsterdam). It may eventually pop-up in mussell's fabulous xtal ball for MET-2014.

But San Francisco Ballet co-produced it and will be performing it in SF in April 2014, so they won't want the competition. ABT definitely doesn't play cities like Peoria, but Chicago is a pretty sophisticated dance city now with visits from major companies. Isn't one big problem with the Trilogy its reliance on so many principal dancers? So few of the "guest artist" principals join that tour, it might be difficult to cast. I'm betting they'll show it at Met 2014 to get a little more mileage.

But San Francisco Ballet co-produced it and will be performing it in SF in April 2014, so they won't want the competition. ABT definitely doesn't play cities like Peoria, but Chicago is a pretty sophisticated dance city now with visits from major companies. Isn't one big problem with the Trilogy its reliance on so many principal dancers? So few of the "guest artist" principals join that tour, it might be difficult to cast. I'm betting they'll show it at Met 2014 to get a little more mileage.

I agree that it has star turns for a lot of dancers, but remember, the second cast (which while not overall up to the quality of the first, was very good in my view) was populated by a very high number of soloists, and at least a few principals who do tour. There would have to be casting tweaks, but it does seem feasible to do without the guest principals. I hope they do (and that they do it at the Met again next year, I'd love to see it again!)

I am trying to decide whether to go to Italy or Japan to see "Manon", but if ABT performs it in NY, I could wait, and save the money....When will this be announced?

In recent years, the spring Met season has been announced in mid-October, complete with principal casting! I suppose that could get pushed back this fall until after the fall season in NYC (October 30-November 10).

Yes, they usually announce either during the Fall New York season or right after it. I think it's a pretty sure bet that ABT will dance Manon next season at the Met since, as noted in a post in a different thread, ABT is performing Manon on tour during the spring of 2014.

The full length Ashton will be Cinderella.

I think it's a pretty sure bet that ABT will dance Manon next season at the Met since, as noted in a post in a different thread, ABT is performing Manon on tour during the spring of 2014.

ABT will tour Japan with Manon in Feb, 2014 and Diana will dance 2 of the performances.

I would love to see ABT do "La Fille" again. They haven't performed it since 2003. But if ABT is going to do a Cinderella, I really want it to be Ashton's Cinderella. I have seen several versions of Cinderella and Ashton's is the only one I have liked. I saw Anthony Dowell and Wayne Sleep dance the ugly stepsisters in 2004 with the Royal Ballet at the Met and they were sensational.

I would love to see ABT do "La Fille" again. They haven't performed it since 2003. But if ABT is going to do a Cinderella, I really want to be Ashton's Cinderella. I have seen several versions of Cinderella and Ashton's is the only one I have liked. I saw Anthony Dowell and Wayne Sleep dance the ugly stepsisters in 2004 with the Royal Ballet at the Met and they were sensational.

I agree, Colleen. Ashton's "Cinderella" is pure magic. The best. Why not an Ashton Festival? "Cinderella", "La Fille", "Birthday Offering". The possible list of ballets is endless. Dare I mention "Facade"? Does the Royal even do that any more? What are some others? Does anyone have a personal favorite?

I've seen Oregon Ballet Theatre do "Facade.". It takes an understanding of the characters and tradition to pull off. I don't think it would read well at the Met.

Oh, I quite agree. But it's fun to have a wish list. Maybe "Les Patineurs" That one ABT could do well. "Symphonic Variations"?

"Ondine"?