This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Romeo & Juliet--Spring 2013 MET season

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 PAmom

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

Speaking of the Gate dance (also know as Masks dance), did any of the Romeos nail the turns? Everyone that I saw struggled with them.  In the past I've seen dances (including Gomes) do the double-extend-double turns flawlessly.  

If I am remembering correctly, Herman's turns were spot on in the Gate Scene. I always look to this scene as a real hallmark of how well the main gentlemen are cast against each other; I love this dance. I enjoyed the 3 being similar in build but Benvolio kept "drawing my eye" and not in a good way. At a point when they all 3 should have been together, Mr. Simkin was a bit wild in his execution and I kept thinking he was about to break into a solo while Romeo and Mercutio were perfectly matched.

#62 abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

Yes, Herman's execution of these turns were perfect.

#63 angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

I think that Herman was already spinning in the womb and that he came out spinning!

#64 fandango

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

I only saw Osipova and Hallberg on June 14. In Act III I liked her best in the limp scene--I thought she overacted a bit (but did not have Vishneva with whom to compare). I called that performance "Romeo and Osipova"--

Acts I and II were fine, though she appealed to me more as Kitri than Juliet.

#65 janet_K

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hmm... I really say that I would not be so excited by seeing Cornejo. I prefer Hallberg's Romeo ... His elegance is beyond words. I think the elegance is most important in ballet. Sadly in recent years it is almost forgotten. I also like Gomes's Romeo. His movements and acting are so princely, too. Of course their technique is awesome.

However, it depends on individual tastes. I understand other people's taste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):