This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Romeo & Juliet--Spring 2013 MET season

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 PAmom

PAmom

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

Speaking of the Gate dance (also know as Masks dance), did any of the Romeos nail the turns? Everyone that I saw struggled with them.  In the past I've seen dances (including Gomes) do the double-extend-double turns flawlessly.  

If I am remembering correctly, Herman's turns were spot on in the Gate Scene. I always look to this scene as a real hallmark of how well the main gentlemen are cast against each other; I love this dance. I enjoyed the 3 being similar in build but Benvolio kept "drawing my eye" and not in a good way. At a point when they all 3 should have been together, Mr. Simkin was a bit wild in his execution and I kept thinking he was about to break into a solo while Romeo and Mercutio were perfectly matched.

#62 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

Yes, Herman's execution of these turns were perfect.

#63 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

I think that Herman was already spinning in the womb and that he came out spinning!

#64 fandango

fandango

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

I only saw Osipova and Hallberg on June 14. In Act III I liked her best in the limp scene--I thought she overacted a bit (but did not have Vishneva with whom to compare). I called that performance "Romeo and Osipova"--

Acts I and II were fine, though she appealed to me more as Kitri than Juliet.

#65 janet_K

janet_K

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hmm... I really say that I would not be so excited by seeing Cornejo. I prefer Hallberg's Romeo ... His elegance is beyond words. I think the elegance is most important in ballet. Sadly in recent years it is almost forgotten. I also like Gomes's Romeo. His movements and acting are so princely, too. Of course their technique is awesome.

However, it depends on individual tastes. I understand other people's taste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):