This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi sacks Tsiskaridze

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#91 elianam

elianam

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

Sorry, Helene. I think I'd better drop the topic. But what I said on this board is entirely based on the interview posted on this forum, Ovcharenko's message to another forum whose link I posted, the news about Filin's current state, and the information based on the official website of the Bolshoi. I keep a record of the information updated on the website in regard to promotion and debut for a long time. And please correct me if something I said here is wrongly registered.

#92 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

If that comment is aimed at me, then perhaps I should have added that what I learn will be for my own peace of mind, 90% of what I know about this business I have not shared here.

I have not worked with the Bolshoi but have worked on performances with former company members.  The close friend I have in the company is a paragon of diplomacy and he never gossips about work, but who is on this tour and who isn't will speak volumes.

#93 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

But what I said on this board is entirely based on the interview posted on this forum, Ovcharenko's message to another forum whose link I posted, the news about Filin's current state, and the information based on the official website of the Bolshoi. I keep a record of the information updated on the website in regard to promotion and debut for a long time. And please correct me if something I said here is wrongly registered.

That is exactly our policy.

If that comment is aimed at me, then perhaps I should have added that what I learn will be for my own peace of mind, 90% of what I know about this business I have not shared here.

Any mention on this board of "I know something/someone you don't" always has been verboten. Your peace of mind is your private concern.

#94 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

I am stating that nothing outside of the rules has been posted by me. 

#95 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Do not post that you might know or expect to find out unofficial news that can't be posted here. Period.

#96 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

She and Khokhlova are the only two 09 grads who proceed to soloist level in the last two years(before that she was listed as a corps-de-ballet, indicating she lied in her interview)

Where do you believe she lied in the interview? If we're thinking of the same passage, she said she joined the company at coryphée rank. "It's a little lower in rank than a soloist, but the pay is practically the same" (p. 18 in the original text). At the Bolshoi coryphées are members of the corps de ballet. The Bolshoi corps has three internal ranks: "artist of the ballet," "artist of the ballet 1st category" and "artist of the ballet 1st category - coryphée." Looking at an alphabetical listing of the Bolshoi's corps you would not be able to tell which of the dancers belongs to which category. After that comes the rank of "artist of the ballet higher category," i.e., soloist, then "artist of the ballet higher category - first soloist," followed by "artist of the ballet, leading master of the stage - leading soloist," and "artist of the ballet, leading master of the stage - ballerinas and premiers," or principals in English.

#97 elianam

elianam

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

She and Khokhlova are the only two 09 grads who proceed to soloist level in the last two years(before that she was listed as a corps-de-ballet, indicating she lied in her interview)

"It's a little lower in rank than a soloist, but the pay is practically the same" (p. 18 in the original text). At the Bolshoi coryphées are members of the corps de ballet. The Bolshoi corps has three internal ranks: "artist of the ballet," "artist of the ballet 1st category" and "artist of the ballet 1st category - coryphée."

I was told by a friend with theatre connection that coryphees at the Bolshoi are listed as soloist, and I assumed that everyone know it. But that might be incorrect. And this is something I cannot find from reliable official sources, so I apologize if it's not correct.

But even she was not directly lying here, she seems to view coryphee as quasi soloist (proven by the quote by volcanohunter above), and when she was talking about Maria Prorvich, she also distinguished the difference between coryphee and average corps-de-ballet,  "Marua Prorvich suddenly got from the corps de ballet to coryphee status and started dancing in premieres as a soloist. Yes, the roles were not particularly important, but in my view the difference between her previous level of roles and her new status is obvious." And this might result in a misleading effect easily putting Filin as the bad guy. Whereas how the administration differentiate coryphee and soloist and corps-de-ballet remains unknown to public. If coryphee still belongs to the category of corps-de-ballet, it is easy for average readers and public to assume that coryphee is more similar to average corps-de-ballet.

My main point is not that she is a liar, but much of what she said appear to be biased. I understand that she must be very sad and therefore emotionally biased and is suffering. But to put it public now has nothing good to do with her career and with Filin, and her reputation as a good ballerina might suffer if Tsiskaridze could not justify himself in the end.

I think I've said enough about this, and it's not my intention to say that Vorontsova is a bad ballerina, so I'll drop the topic now.

#98 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

For some clarity (hopefully), here is an excerpt from a recent interview by Bolshoi coryphée Ivan Alexeyev, which he gave to the hometown press in Voronezh.

At the Bolshoi, I had to start from scratch, admitted Ivan Alexeyev. If in Voronezh I performed as a soloist, had friends and parents here, at the Bolshoi I became an artist of the first category. After a season, I was promoted to a different category, and now I'm a coryphée, which is a rank below that of soloist. Now I'm dancing in the corps de ballet and performing leading roles. For example, at the Bolshoi Theater I was given the opportunity to dance José in "Carmen Suite", I have a solo part in the ballet "Jewels", and I returned to my favorite role as the Student in "Anyuta."

http://www.moe-onlin...iew/258668.html

There is nothing inconsistent in Vorontsova's story. She says she joined the Bolshoi as a coryphée, which would have had her listed among the members of the corps de ballet, as Alexeyev is, and in May 2012 she was promoted to the rank of soloist. You can find that information in the Bolshoi news feed for May 1, 2012.

http://www.bolshoi.r.../articles/2012/

#99 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

"It's a little lower in rank than a soloist, but the pay is practically the same" (p. 18 in the original text). At the Bolshoi coryphées are members of the corps de ballet. The Bolshoi corps has three internal ranks: "artist of the ballet," "artist of the ballet 1st category" and "artist of the ballet 1st category - coryphée."

I was told by a friend with theatre connection that coryphees at the Bolshoi are listed as soloist, and I assumed that everyone know it. But that might be incorrect. And this is something I cannot find from reliable official sources, so I apologize if it's not correct.

This is what does not belong here:  inside information that can't be verified officially.

Whether coryphees are listed as soloists or as corps de ballet should be verifiable by official news about ranking -- dancers' statements are official news, whether they are correct or incorrect -- cross-referenced with the website rankings.  If a dancer claims to be a coryphee and s/he's listed as a soloist, that would show that coryphees are listed as soloists, especially since a dancer wouldn't claim to be a rank lower than she is.

In the US articles written about dancers often misstate their ranks, especially when a non-dance writer is doing a feature on "local dancer made good," in which case the ranks are often exaggerated.  NYCB would have had 1000 Principal Dancers were these articles true.

#100 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Vorontzova is young and, under the circumstances, I can overlook bad judgment from her and any general hysteria she displays (my opinion only about the hysteria) much more than I can overlook it from Tsiskaridze. And, like everyone else who has expressed themselves on this matter, I hope her career finds a way to flourish.

To me the more interesting development in what Baryshnikov has called this "bad vaudeville" is that Ratmansky has now publically declared Tsiskaridze's statements about his (Ratmanksy's) departure from the Bolshoi to be lies. From what appears in the press, I'm not sure I think Tsiskaridze entirely knows what a lie is--perhaps he believes (some of) what he is saying. But I do think that with every interview he gives, he seems to make himself less and less plausible as a future artistic leader. If he is the great ballet teacher and coach some have said he is--and which I can easily believe--then that is a shame. And, in relation to the crime against Filin, entirely unnecessary.  (From the beginning, Filin said he did not believe Tsisdaridze was involved and for a long, long time everyone has understood that.)

#101 elianam

elianam

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

This is what does not belong here:  inside information that can't be verified officially.

Whether coryphees are listed as soloists or as corps de ballet should be verifiable by official news about ranking -- dancers' statements are official news, whether they are correct or incorrect -- cross-referenced with the website rankings.  If a dancer claims to be a coryphee and s/he's listed as a soloist, that would show that coryphees are listed as soloists, especially since a dancer wouldn't claim to be a rank lower than she is.

In the US articles written about dancers often misstate their ranks, especially when a non-dance writer is doing a feature on "local dancer made good," in which case the ranks are often exaggerated.  NYCB would have had 1000 Principal Dancers were these articles true.

I understand this. Some of my observations might be based on a false assumption. I didn't put it forward until I realized my false assumption(as I took this information as a fact for granted), and I explained it to correct my false assumption which might be shared by some others. Thanks for your clarification anyway.

#102 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

I've been wondering, what exactly is the literal translation for "coryphee"?  I see it comes from "head" and "leader" (

Would it be Senior Corps or is it more like a dance captain of the corps?  If I push "google translate" hard enough it comes up with "chorus leader".  Is it also an opera term?

#103 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

I've been wondering, what exactly is the literal translation for "coryphee"?  I see it comes from "head" and "leader" (

Would it be Senior Corps or is it more like a dance captain of the corps?  If I push "google translate" hard enough it comes up with "chorus leader".  Is it also an opera term?

I think in theory they are meant to anchor the corps on stage, either because they are considered more promising or because they are older and more experienced. It depends on the company though. At POB the only way to be promoted to coryphée is through the concours and so some of the most senior and experienced dancers are never promoted out of quadrille.

Larousse gives four definitions:

• Chef du chœur, dans le théâtre grec. - Head of the choir in Greek theatre
  • Deuxième échelon dans la hiérarchie du corps de ballet de l'Opéra. - Second rank in the ballet company of the opera
  • Danseur placé à la tête du quadrille. - Dancer at the head of the quadrille/corps de ballet
  • Chef de pupitre qui donne l'attaque aux choristes. - Chorister who leads his/her vocal section

#104 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

Oh! Thank you! The Quadrille connection is interesting!

"The quadrille (in French quadrille de contredanses) was now a lively dance with four couples, arranged in the shape of a square, with each couple facing the center of that square. One pair was called the head couple, the other pairs the side couples. A dance figure was often performed first by the head couple, and then repeated by the side couples. In the original French version only two couples were used, but two more couples were eventually added to form the sides of a square. The couples in each corner of the square took turns, in performing the dance, where one couple danced, and the other couples rested. Terms used in the quadrille are mostly the same as those in ballet. Dance figures have names such as jeté, chassé, croisé, plié, arabesque, and so on."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrille

#105 solo

solo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

The programme “Great Expectations” on RUSSIA 24 TV channel today:
http://www.vesti.ru/...=519252&cid=460
had interviews with the acting artistic director Galina Stepanenko and the former ballet company manager Ruslan Pronin.

Pronin said that although he and Tsiskaridze were not special friends but his own departure from the Bolshoi is linked to the situation with Tsiskaridze, i.e. with the way how the administration was ‘squeezing-out’ this Principal dancer from the theatre: ‘I didn’t like the methods used by them’ Pronin said. ‘They realised that they cannot rely on me and our paths diverged.’

In the meantime Mikhail Messerer said in his interview that Angelina Vorontsova is rehearsing the role of Diana Mireille de Poitier in his production of “The Flames of Paris” at the Mikhailovsky Theatre and he hopes to see her also in the role of Jeanne in July. When asked if she had joined the Mikhailovsky company Messerer replied : ‘For a start she will appear with us in “The Flames of Paris”. Further actions depend on her - whether she chooses to stay with us or not. She has many offers.

http://izvestia.ru/n...7#ixzz2Y05XhD6h

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):