This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi sacks Tsiskaridze

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

There are reports in the Russian press today that Nikolai Tsiskaridze's contracts with the Bolshoi--as a dancer and as a teacher--are not being renewed. They will expire at the end of the month. These reports have been confirned by the Bolshoi's press secretary. Tsiskaridze and his attorney have not yet commented.

http://en.ria.ru/art.../181579439.html
http://izvestia.ru/news/551726

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

someone will come along soon enough with more intelligent commentary than I but in the meantime, aye caramba! Posted Image

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

This just gets twistier and twistier.

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,463 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

"Oy" was the best I could do.

It's not a surprise: Tsiskaridze has been saying this would happen all along, and that Bolshoi management has been preparing for it by not casting him and taking away his students, or, at least, pressuring them to leave him.

#5 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

By my best count, Tsiskaridze gave 13 performances at the Bolshoi this season: 6 as Rothbart, 2 as Albrecht, 1 as Petit's Germann, 2 as the Nutcracker Prince, 1 as Conrad and 1 as Prince Désiré. That's fewer than Marianna Ryzhkina, the Bolshoi's oldest principal (15 so far), but significantly more than Anna Antonicheva (4). He is not scheduled to dance again before his contract expires, in which case this may have been his last performance at the Bolshoi: http://www.bolshoi.r...#20130605190000

#6 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

From NTV Television, for those who understand Russian, though I don't suspect there are many surprises within:

http://www.ntv.ru/vi...novosti/568862/

#7 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

Oh my goodness! This means I saw one of his last performances with the Bolshoi. It seems like a mistake to me - he's an amazing dancer.

#8 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

I'm not surprised, and I doubt this will hold up in court.

#9 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,463 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

They haven't terminated his contract: they've opted not to renew it. What contract or civil law has management broken?

I'm sure it will go to court, but under what principle would he win?

#10 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

In an American co. when a dancer's contract is up it is up. If either the dancer or the co. chose not to renew it that is the end of it. (Despite public outcry. See NYCB, MCB, Cunningham) Does anyone know if this is different at the Bolshoi?

#11 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Just another boring Sunday...NOT! Oh, I'm sure that this won't quiet NT.

#12 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

That was coming. Not surprised.

#13 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,463 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

In an American co. when a dancer's contract is up it is up. If either the dancer or the co. chose not to renew it that is the end of it. (Despite public outcry. See NYCB, MCB, Cunningham) Does anyone know if this is different at the Bolshoi?

The times when it's not he end of it is when a dancer decides to sue, which is expected in this case, since Tsiskaridze has another lawsuit against mangement. If he wins that suit, it most likely add strength to claims of wrongful termination, or whatever the principle is.

Suing will not hurt his career. I'm sure there are plenty of companies with whom he could guest or even join and projects he in which he could paricipate or produce.

#14 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

Tsikaridze should come a dance a bit in America. I WOULD go see him..! ;-)

#15 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Maybe he'll join his frequent partner (e.g., Giselle) from the past, Lunkina, in Canada? That puts him closer to us, cubanmiamiboy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):