This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2013 Swan Lake at the Met

I have a question . . . I purchased season tickets and was supposed to see Alina Cojocaru in Swan Lake on the 21st of June. Now it looks like she's dropped out, and Maria Kochetkova is taking the part. I'm pretty disappointment, but I guess this is how the cookie crumbles. Anyhow, please offer any advice you have about changing performances. Should we stick with Kochetkova? Switch to Semionova? Part? Boylston? Kent? Thanks for your thoughts. Paris.

Back in 2008, I saw Kochetkova in Giselle when the San Francisco Ballet was at the Kennedy Center in DC. She was wonderful! I am disappointed that Cojocaru will not be dancing - I have never seen her in Swan Lake. Kochetkova will be a great replacement.

I was also extremely upset when I heard that Cojocaru was being replaced by Kochetkova. I love Cojocaru and while I wasn't too surprised that she canceled (considering her recent injuries) I was hoping that if she did they'd give Sarah Lane a shot. Second choice would have been a bonafide superstar prima like Obraztsova ( who I think is small enough for Cornejo but not exactly sure??)

I know that Kochetkova is a regular on the gala circuit but from what I've seen online and the little bit I've seen of her live she seems very athletic. Might be great in Balanchine or Wheeldon but I wasn't too keen to see her O/O. I'm interested in seeing Cornejo's Siegfried debut but for me Swan Lake is all about the ballerina so my first thought was to switch to the Semionova/Gomes performance (I'm already going to see Part/Stearns and Boylston/Simkin). Before I did I asked a friend of mine who used to see the SF Ballet on a pretty regular basis. He loves Kochetkova, really recommended her very highly. Since I respect his opinion I'm going to keep the tickets and hope for the best.

I too was disappointed about Cojocaru. I really wanted to see her Swan Lake. I knew they wouldn't give Lane a chance, because replacing an international star with an ABT soloist would not be acceptable to a lot of ticket holders. I think it was a challenge to find someone short enough for Cornejo. I've never seen Kochetkova live, but know her reputation and am looking forward to it. I just hope I am able to see Cojocaru again some day.

I'd be more than happy if Ashley Bouder were the replacement. There's a big portion of ABT audience who are clueless about what's going on across the plaza, Ashley would be the perfect vehicle to entice them to cross the plaza. And she's petit enough to partner Cornejo.

How come they couldn't fly Marianela Nunez over beg.gif ? Does she ever perform in the U.S.?

Of course bringing in Nunez for the Friday SL wouldn't be practical--she's too tall for Cornejo--but I am perplexed as to why she hasn't guested with ABT. She is beautiful and versatile and could give strong performances in a lot of the company's repertory. I can't recall instances where she has performed in the U.S. beyond RB tours and the odd YAGP gala.

What a feather in the cap of Kochetkova. I guess that the Bolshoi must be angry that it did not offer her a job upon graduation from their affiliated school 11-12 yrs ago...just as they missed the boat with Malakhov a few years earlier.

I would say Ms. Kochetkova is "a" star of SFB: Lorena Feijoo is another.

She is phenomenal.

LOL ;)

Yes, she's one of a number of dancers the SF fans couldn't bear to lose, and there is some angst building with Masha constantly making special appearances. But we shall see.

What a feather in the cap of Kochetkova. I guess that the Bolshoi must be angry that it did not offer her a job upon graduation from their affiliated school 11-12 yrs ago...just as they missed the boat with Malakhov a few years earlier.

And the Royal Ballet and ENB obviously didn't do enough to try to keep her.

Dance Magazine Tweet:

There are now 2 chances to see @balletrusse (Maria Kochetkova) dance with @ABTBallet: she replaces Cojocaru as Cornejo's partner in Swan Lake & Sleeping Beauty (Wednesday, July 3rd).

Gomes nearly stole the show. He had the audience in the palm of his hands.

Most readers of this board probably already know this, but for those who don't: Gomes is purple Rothbart in the ABT Swan Lake on DVD from 2005 (along with Corella and Murphy):

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-American-Ballet-Theatre-Corella/dp/B000AYEI9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371569322&sr=8-1&keywords=swan+lake+abt

It's distressing that so few of Gomes' performances are available on DVD.

Gomes absolutely owns the role of Purple Rothbart. I thought he was almost over the top yesterday, making "knowing" eye contact with the audience, as if to say "here it comes," something that Corella used to do sometimes before he did an eight-turn pirouette. I saw Vasiliev do the same role in the dress rehearsal and it was sadly inferior.

It was a stunning performance, and an absolutely magical experience from start to finish!

I was particularly thrilled to share it with my 15-year old daughter, who is a serious ballet dancer studying at a company school. She said it was the best dancing she had ever seen, and was literally glowing after the show. We scooted out since we had to drive back to Philadelphia, but she would have stayed for another dozen curtain calls!

Gomes nearly stole the show. He had the audience in the palm of his hands.

Most readers of this board probably already know this, but for those who don't: Gomes is purple Rothbart in the ABT Swan Lake on DVD from 2005 (along with Corella and Murphy):

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-American-Ballet-Theatre-Corella/dp/B000AYEI9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371569322&sr=8-1&keywords=swan+lake+abt

It's distressing that so few of Gomes' performances are available on DVD.

The great thing about Gomes' performance, to my mind, was that it wasn't necessarily an effort to "showboat" technically. While Gomes, of course, showed crystalline technique, his character came first. He was downright seductive!