This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mark Morris Interview in the New York Times

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Mark Morris was interviewed in the "New York Times," and it was published today (6 June):

http://www.nytimes.c...gewanted=1&_r=0

My favorite quote is:

And so as soon as I was choreographing other people besides myself, which was very early on, I was making up stuff that I wanted to watch, as opposed to what I wanted to feel like.

I wish that were every choreographer's MO.

#2 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

Indeed!

#3 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Mark Morris was interviewed in the "New York Times," and it was published today (6 June):

http://www.nytimes.c...gewanted=1&_r=0

My favorite quote is:

And so as soon as I was choreographing other people besides myself, which was very early on, I was making up stuff that I wanted to watch, as opposed to what I wanted to feel like.

I wish that were every choreographer's MO.

Wonderful point. Very funny (and insightful) interview. This is probably my favorite part:
[font=georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif][size=1]
[size=4]"Do older dancers bring something that younger dancers don’t?[/size][/size][/font]
[font=georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif][size=1]
[size=4]I like working with grown-up dancers much better, because there’s somebody to talk to at the airport when you’re delayed."[/size][/size][/font]

#4 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

haha! The man has no filter, and he's completely honest about how he views the world. Even though I disagree with him at times.

Here is my favorite quote (I've underlined below):
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font][/size][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Do you miss performing?[/font][/size]
[font=georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif][size=1][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I don’t, believe it or not. I don’t miss the roar of the crowd. I still get that when I take a bow, if I milk it right. I’m not regretful, but I’m envious sometimes.

[/font][/size][/size][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]But really, the entire article is quotable. [/font]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):