This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

LYDIA LOPOKOVA

Andrew Foster, ever atop background to photos of this era by way of his abiding interest in the career of Tamara Karsaina, has replied regarding the two pix of LL above with info corroborating the 1916 date as his files include related shots from this same time and most likely taken on the occasion of the '16 US tour by the Ballets Russes.

other replies have wondered if the first posted pix were taken during LL's appearances in the US, eventually on the Broadway stage, but those dates are around '12 and these seem to be more certainly from '16 when she rejoined Diaghilev's troupe.

here are scans of three examples Andrew sent me; the one of Nijinsky is unfamiliar to me and the one of Spesivtseva positively giddy.

f.y.i.

post-848-0-26441300-1370618861_thumb.jpg

post-848-0-56550500-1370618875_thumb.jpg

post-848-0-26139500-1370618892_thumb.jpg

a postscript to the dating, etc. of the Lopokova photos comes from her biographer, Judith Mackrell, who notes in an email that LL was "acting right up until the moment she re-joined the Ballets Russes . She was unable to perform in their opening gala 17 Jan 1916 because she was giving her final performance as an actress, with the Washington Players."

additionally Mackrell writes that Spessivtseva joined up with the Ballets Russes troupe in the U.S. during the fall of '16, thus dating these photos as likely later inr '16.

p.p.s. A. Foster has further provided a scan of another photo from this 'series,' which he says was "almost certainly backstage at the Manhattan Opera House" adding that the picture was most likely "taken during the second Diaghilev tour of 1916," which is when Spessivtseva became part of the group.

f.y.i.

post-848-0-19535600-1370699524_thumb.jpg