This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alessandra Ferri

nicolezly

Does anyone know what the "performance extra" designation means? It appears as an asterisk for some of the performances.

Also, why is the first row available when most of the seats behind it are sold? Is the first row bad for viewing?

I just found the answer to the first question on the web site. There are several different performance extras, including Q&As with the production people and artistic staff.

Does anyone know about the seating? I love to sit up close, but does anyone know whether that's a bad idea in that theater?

Does anyone know what the "performance extra" designation means? It appears as an asterisk for some of the performances.

Also, why is the first row available when most of the seats behind it are sold? Is the first row bad for viewing?

I just found the answer to the first question on the web site. There are several different performance extras, including Q&As with the production people and artistic staff.

Does anyone know about the seating? I love to sit up close, but does anyone know whether that's a bad idea in that theater?

This theater at the Signature Theater Complex has excellent seating. Every seat is fine, except for a few on the very sides. I would not want to sit up too close here. For plays the front row is right up at the stage. Don't know if they will reconfigure in any way. Probably not. Go to the web site and look at the seating chart. The theater is the Diamond Theater. I have a seat in row "G" for my viewing, which gives one a bit of perspective, especially for movement of any kind. I've sat in almost all the areas of this theater and there really isn't a bad seat anywhere.

This theater at the Signature Theater Complex has excellent seating. Every seat is fine, except for a few on the very sides. I would not want to sit up too close here. For plays the front row is right up at the stage. Don't know if they will reconfigure in any way. Probably not. Go to the web site and look at the seating chart. The theater is the Diamond Theater. I have a seat in row "G" for my viewing, which gives one a bit of perspective, especially for movement of any kind. I've sat in almost all the areas of this theater and there really isn't a bad seat anywhere.

Many thanks, mimsyb. That's exactly what I needed to know!

Ferri's return to the stage continues apace. She has the lead in Wayne McGregor's new ballet about Virginia Woolf for the Royal Ballet.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/i-dive-in-alessandra-ferri-and-her-return-to-the-royal-opera-house-stage-in-wayne-mcgregors-woolf-works

And today it was announced that in December John Neumeier will unveil a new ballet about Eleonora Duse starring Ferri.

http://www.hamburgballett.de/e/_duse.htm

I agree, thank you! I really very much enjoy watching rehearsals - either live or on film - often more than the performance itself. (this goes for opera and acting productions, as well)

Although I greatly admire A.Ferri and her work, as a former dancer (and now mother of two DDs, also professionals), I cannot help but wonder how the legions of younger dancers view this project? Would any of them have liked the opportunity of doing something like this? I cannot remember if anytihng of the sort happened where I was dancing, all those years ago, that a dancer came back "out of retirement" to do something like this.

-d-

(edited to add clarification)

I don't doubt that many of the Royal Ballet's dancers grew up idolizing Ferri, so I imagine it would be a thrill for them to work with her. McGregor's ballet also has many roles. The first cast includes Sarah Lamb, Natalia Osipova, Melissa Hamilton, Akane Takada, Beatriz Stix-Brunell and Francesca Hayward, plus eight male leads, so it appears there is a lot of work to go around. If the ballet is going to have any sort of shelf life, eventually other dancers will have to learn Ferri's role.

I agree, thank you! I really very much enjoy watching rehearsals - either live or on film - often more than the performance itself.

Although I greatly admire A.Ferri and her work, as a former dancer (and now mother of two DDs, also professionals), I cannot help but wonder how the legions of younger dancers view this project? Would any of them have liked the opportunity of doing something like this? I cannot remember if anytihng of the sort happened where I was dancing, all those years ago, that a dancer came back "out of retirement" to do something like this.

-t-

Interesting points Diane. I also wondered if she had an understudy. If so it would probably be someone 20 - 25 years younger.

I don't know enough about "Woolf Works" to speak specifically, but didn't Antoinette Sibley come back to performing after an official retirement. I know that she originally thought she'd just do a little something as part of a gala, but then she just kept going. I don't know too many people who would have wanted to miss that part of her career.

I believe Mara Galeazzi is learning Ferri's role in case of need.

But remember that it is 30 years since Ferri left the Royal Ballet and that she has very rarely appeared in London since - the younger dancers have probably never seen her dance and many of the audience may not even know her name.